3 Point height control lever

/ 3 Point height control lever #1  

jmanatee2

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L39 TLB
2006 L39, Having never used a 3 Point before, I am a complete novice.

Yesterday I took the backhoe off to use my pto chipper so I thought I would also try my new (to me) box blade for the first time. The chipper was no big deal. I raised it, drove to where I wanted it and lowered it.

The box blade was a different story...

1st, I am not use to the way you set the height control lever and leave it. I am use to normal hydraulics where you push a lever and then return it to center to stop it. Does this take long to get use to?

2nd, Is the height control lever supposed to be smooth like a normal hydraulic control lever? Mine moves much stiffer. More resistance to movement. I assume that so it will hold the position you set? Can you take off some of the tension? Can you make the lever move more freely?

3rd, The L39 has a down speed setting (Slow, fast and Lock) When using a box blade where do I want that? Does that only apply when the lever is in float position?

I would like to say WOW! box blades really make quick work of leveling a gravel driveway. I have always done it with the loader bucket. BB are the way to go...

Thanks for any help.

/ 3 Point height control lever #2  
2006 L39, Having never used a 3 Point before, I am a complete novice.

The box blade was a different story...

1st, I am not use to the way you set the height control lever and leave it. I am use to normal hydraulics where you push a lever and then return it to center to stop it. Does this take long to get use to?

2nd, Is the height control lever supposed to be smooth like a normal hydraulic control lever? Mine moves much stiffer. More resistance to movement. I assume that so it will hold the position you set? Can you take off some of the tension? Can you make the lever move more freely?

3rd, The L39 has a down speed setting (Slow, fast and Lock) When using a box blade where do I want that? Does that only apply when the lever is in float position?

I would like to say WOW! box blades really make quick work of leveling a gravel driveway. I have always done it with the loader bucket. BB are the way to go...

Thanks for any help.

Like most things, it depends on the user. For some it takes longer than others and it doesn't really seem to make much difference how long you have been operating equipment as sometimes it is harder to adjust than to learn it the first time. I wish I had a better answer.

How smooth the 3-point height control moves is going to vary from one tractor to the next, I have used them from very stiff to pretty darned smooth. My L5030 is pretty stiff and the M8540 is pretty light though not as light as a joystick. Art or one of the more mechanically inclined will be able to tell you if there is any tension adjustment. I have never fooled with mine as I grew up using different types and just accept the differences.

The 3-point, having no down pressure is always in the float position. You can get a hydraulic top-link with a float position valve, but usually this is used for batwing mowers. As to the speed of lowering, I like to set it where is will go down pretty quickly, but not slam into the ground. Lock is for transporting.

I am sure someone will correct me if I have missed something.

I love box blades. I have only been using them for about twenty years when my dad brought one up from Mississippi where he did site prep for houses. I had always used a back blade and had never seen one before, now they are almost universal. The handiest thing I have come across is a hydraulic top link for adjustment on the go. I have used a Top and Tilt which is nice, but can live without the tilt function as it costs more than I want to pay for what I do, but it too is handy depending of course on your uses.