Changed oil but dipstick indicates not entirely full

/ Changed oil but dipstick indicates not entirely full #1  

mdelmarcelle

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040SUD
I changed the oil for the first time in my M7040SUD. The manual indicates it takes 11.6 quarts (just shy of 3 gallons). I put in almost 3 gallons. It was easy to make sure I put that much in because I simply bought 3 one gallon jugs of rotella and dumped each one in. So, if anything, I probably overfilled it according to the specs. I wasn't planning on putting a full three gallons in (12 quarts), but I spilled just a bit on the ground, so I figured I'd just empty all three gallons and assume the slight amount spilled would bring me back down to 11.6. I'm sure I didn't spill a full .4 of a quart.

Anyway, after changing the oil, it was tough checking the oil because the oil was so clean and with oil dripping down through the engine, it was difficult to see a clean line on the dipstick. I ran the tractor for maybe 15 minutes after changing the oil, the tractor ran great, no sign of burning oil. I checked the oil again today after the tractor sat without running and the oil level came to right between the two lines of the dipstick (full and oil needed). So, the oil level is fine, but wouldn't putting the stated capacity of oil in during an oil change result in the oil level hitting the upper mark? I did change the filter too, but I can't imagine the small capacity in the filter (if it's not accounted for in the engine oil capacity) would account for the amount below the full mark.

/ Changed oil but dipstick indicates not entirely full #2  
I changed the oil for the first time in my M7040SUD. The manual indicates it takes 11.6 quarts (just shy of 3 gallons). I put in almost 3 gallons. It was easy to make sure I put that much in because I simply bought 3 one gallon jugs of rotella and dumped each one in. So, if anything, I probably overfilled it according to the specs. I wasn't planning on putting a full three gallons in (12 quarts), but I spilled just a bit on the ground, so I figured I'd just empty all three gallons and assume the slight amount spilled would bring me back down to 11.6. I'm sure I didn't spill a full .4 of a quart.

Anyway, after changing the oil, it was tough checking the oil because the oil was so clean and with oil dripping down through the engine, it was difficult to see a clean line on the dipstick. I ran the tractor for maybe 15 minutes after changing the oil, the tractor ran great, no sign of burning oil. I checked the oil again today after the tractor sat without running and the oil level came to right between the two lines of the dipstick (full and oil needed). So, the oil level is fine, but wouldn't putting the stated capacity of oil in during an oil change result in the oil level hitting the upper mark? I did change the filter too, but I can't imagine the small capacity in the filter (if it's not accounted for in the engine oil capacity) would account for the amount below the full mark.

About 1 in 5 engines take exactly what the book says. You can either top it up or run it where it is at.
Just make sure the tractor is level both front to rear and side to side when you check it.

/ Changed oil but dipstick indicates not entirely full #3  
About 1 in 5 engines take exactly what the book says. You can either top it up or run it where it is at.
Just make sure the tractor is level both front to rear and side to side when you check it.

Interesting, I did not know that there can be a difference in the amount of oil in actual vs the manual specs. that would explain what happend with my snowblower, but I always defaulted to the dip stick. Anyway, I always like to have the oil measure right up to the full line after a change.

/ Changed oil but dipstick indicates not entirely full #4  
Interesting, I did not know that there can be a difference in the amount of oil in actual vs the manual specs. that would explain what happend with my snowblower, but I always defaulted to the dip stick. Anyway, I always like to have the oil measure right up to the full line after a change.

I always go by the dipstick too as long as it is relatively close to what it is suppose to hold. I have had machines that had the wrong dipstick but that is quite rare.:)

/ Changed oil but dipstick indicates not entirely full #5  
also, the specs dont include oil held in the oil filter

/ Changed oil but dipstick indicates not entirely full #6  
The dipstick is just a reference point... There are production variations in the oil pans, dipsticks, and dipstick tubes that all add up to a variation in where the oil level ends up when you fill it.
Manufacturers typically put the "safe" range on the dipstick to allow for these variations.
There was a time not long ago that some Caterpillar engines were shipped from the factory with blank dipsticks.... there was a complete procedure for marking the minimum and maximum levels for "engine stopped" and engine running low idle...
As long as you kow you poured the correct amount in and the level is somewhere between min. and max..... its ok..

/ Changed oil but dipstick indicates not entirely full #7  
After enough years and enough experience, I go with the dipstick.
The guys that built the engine certainly knew what they were doing and certainly got the right dipstick.
Kubota, in my experience, builds one of the finest engines in the world.
Amount drained out can vary with temp of oil and length of drain time too.

/ Changed oil but dipstick indicates not entirely full
Thanks for all the advice and input. I'll probably buy a little more oil this weekend to bring it up to the full mark. I agree that it's probably fine as is, but it's easier to tell if it's using oil if the oil starts out at the full mark. Gotta say I was very please to see that it didn't use any oil during the first 50 hours. Hope it's the same going forward.

/ Changed oil but dipstick indicates not entirely full #9  
Let me mention I let the vehicle sit overning to let all the oil drain down.

/ Changed oil but dipstick indicates not entirely full #10  
between the two lines is where it's supposed to be ...overfilling can be as bad as underfilling. A trick to read the dipstick is to lay it on a clean sheet of paper and you'll see the oil on the paper. Personally, I like the dipsticks with a hole at the add and at the full lines.