FRONT AXLE FLUID LEVEL?

/ FRONT AXLE FLUID LEVEL? #1  

512high

Bronze Member
Tractor
2011 JOHN DEERE 244J
Hi Everyone, Im sure this may be a stupid question, but i'm sure those that have been around equipment will have an answer! I purchased a used 2006 Kubota L-4330HSTC, 1,000 hrs. in Jan. Its ONLY use is for snow removal, etc. Since i've had it, Changed engine oil/filter, owner before me did HST/Hydrulic fluids etc. Yesterday, looking at the machine from the front, the left side front wheel, i noticed "a little fluid" on the ground, i have not used the tractor for at least 2 weeks, and noticed nothing prior. After seeing where its coming from,a smalllllll weeping from the top axel housing,down the side to the floor, i cant real explain, there is a zerk fitting above it, another words,i think a seal?(sorry no pic), anyways, i checked the fluid level today, and nothing cam out of the "check plug", so per. owners manual, i added about 8 oz and it started to dribble out. after that drove the tractor for 1.5 miles or so, removed the "fill" plug, then the "check plug"...and no fluid dribble out!!! WHAT AM I DOING WRONG, I did not drain the axle, im just trying to find where is the right way to check that its full?

point blank, what is the proper way to check the front axle fluid level?

1.) tractor is garaged on level floor
2.)added 8oz of gear oil, came out the check port
3.)drove it 1.5 miles, re checked, nothing came from port?
4.) too much oil
5.)not enough?:confused2:

thanks!

/ FRONT AXLE FLUID LEVEL? #2  
Hi Everyone, Im sure this may be a stupid question, but i'm sure those that have been around equipment will have an answer! I purchased a used 2006 Kubota L-4330HSTC, 1,000 hrs. in Jan. Its ONLY use is for snow removal, etc. Since i've had it, Changed engine oil/filter, owner before me did HST/Hydrulic fluids etc. Yesterday, looking at the machine from the front, the left side front wheel, i noticed "a little fluid" on the ground, i have not used the tractor for at least 2 weeks, and noticed nothing prior. After seeing where its coming from,a smalllllll weeping from the top axel housing,down the side to the floor, i cant real explain, there is a zerk fitting above it, another words,i think a seal?(sorry no pic), anyways, i checked the fluid level today, and nothing cam out of the "check plug", so per. owners manual, i added about 8 oz and it started to dribble out. after that drove the tractor for 1.5 miles or so, removed the "fill" plug, then the "check plug"...and no fluid dribble out!!! WHAT AM I DOING WRONG, I did not drain the axle, im just trying to find where is the right way to check that its full?

point blank, what is the proper way to check the front axle fluid level?

1.) tractor is garaged on level floor
2.)added 8oz of gear oil, came out the check port
3.)drove it 1.5 miles, re checked, nothing came from port?
4.) too much oil
5.)not enough?:confused2:

thanks!

Give it half an hour before you check it after driving. Also these units seem to hide oil:laughing:. Check and refill until it stabilizes. May take several times

/ FRONT AXLE FLUID LEVEL?
so kuboman, let me understand this, im heading back to my shop in 30min or so, loader has been cooled down and sitting for at least 4 hours, if i check the "check hole" and fluid dribbles out...great! if not you suggest i fill again?

1.) after filling if it needs it, do i operate/drive the tractor?

2.)or do i wait another day to see where level is?

many thanks

philip

/ FRONT AXLE FLUID LEVEL? #4  
The front axles on the Kubotas can get "air locked" and when filling them up sometimes it will take running the machine to work the fluid through the bearings and gears to fill up the lower portions of the axle case. The L series seam to have a little bit of a problem with drips at the joint seals and since you may either use SUDT/UDT or 90w gear oil, many have elected to go to the gear oil as it is thicker and does not leak as easily.

David Kb7uns

/ FRONT AXLE FLUID LEVEL?
david, thank you as well for the quick reply...i just got back from my shop and checked again, level was down! so i removed the small "check" plug, and added another 4-5oz, and it began to "dribble" out!

i then ran the machine for bout 5 min or so outside, reverse/forward, circles etc. i have not checked the fluid, i will look in the am.

regarding the small leak,i left the machine 4-5hours ago, and the "drip" ever so slow was on the side, what i will call the inside hub or gear unit.

i also read on this forum some guys use a thicker oil like u mentioned, i just dont know what gear weight, other then the 80-90 im using..dont want to mess things up! so here are some questions for you, hate to be a broken record!

1.)if i check fluid level in the am, and its down...add? then run machine again or just add.
2.)heavier oil...what weight?
3.)once level looks good the next day etc, how often should i check? weekly, hourly(meaning every 20 hrs. /50 etc.)

thanks for your help!

ps>from your pic you have a nice collection!

/ FRONT AXLE FLUID LEVEL? #6  
I also believe in gear lube in the front axle. I prefer synthetic, 75w-90 because our winters are so cold.

Does your model have axle vents on it?

Did you get the manual for your tractor? Do you know the front axle total capacity? For the price of a couple gallons of gear lube might really be worth a try if you're not interested in getting into that seal right now. With a drip that slow, it's hardly urgent.

/ FRONT AXLE FLUID LEVEL? #7  
so kuboman, let me understand this, im heading back to my shop in 30min or so, loader has been cooled down and sitting for at least 4 hours, if i check the "check hole" and fluid dribbles out...great! if not you suggest i fill again?

1.) after filling if it needs it, do i operate/drive the tractor?

2.)or do i wait another day to see where level is?

many thanks

philip

Check, fill, run. Keep doing that until it is full.
Also make sure you know what oil is in the front axle. Don't mix gear oil with UDT.
I prefer gear oil myself so change all mine out when I get the time.