Won't stay running

/ Won't stay running #1  

mvwood

Tractor
2001 kubota b-21
I went out to start my B-21 which ran fine a couple weeks ago and it turns over and runs but as soon as I let the key go it quits. Any suggestions?:confused:

/ Won't stay running #2  
A few John Deere owners have had this problem and it turned about to be a fuse. Have you checked the fuses?

/ Won't stay running
I checked the small fuse panel by the ignition and everything seemed good there. I was thinking maybe it was the ignition switch. Do you know of anyway to bypass the switch so I could at least get it running?

/ Won't stay running
Anyone have any info on this?

/ Won't stay running #5  
Diesel or Gas?

/ Won't stay running
diesel

/ Won't stay running #7  
There must be a solenoid that moves a lever on the side of the main diesel pump, that allows the pump to send fuel to the injectors.
The holding circuit for this solenoid must not be getting power, it is spring return. When you let go of the key, the power to this solenoid is cut and the engine stops.
You should be able to by-pass this to keep the engine going. Stopping the engine would mean undoing what you have bypassed...be careful.

/ Won't stay running
any idea how to locate this switch? Maybe the spring froze up from sitting for a couple of weeks?

/ Won't stay running #9  
You have a problem in the hold-in winding circuit of the fuel shut-off solenoid. When you turn the key to start the pull-in winding of the solenoid gets power directly from the starter. When you let go of the key the solenoid loses its power. This is either a fuse issue, a wiring issue, or a solenoid issue. You will need to check for power at the solenoid. The pull-in power I believe comes from the white wire, then I think the red wire is for the hold-in circuit and then the black would be the ground. Do not hold me to any of these colors without a manual in front of me. But, you should get the idea. One of the 3 wires will be a ground, one will be the pull-in power coming from the starter, and the other will be the hold-in winding that gets key on power. Nobody can give a one answer solution to your problem without being there doing the diagnosis. But hopefully this will help.

Brian

/ Won't stay running
OK Brian thanks. The wires you are talking about would be coming off of the ignition switch? oops after re-reading I think you said the wires are at the solenoid. Do you have any idea where that solenoid is located?

Last edited: