Gordon Gould

Tractor
Kubota L3010DT, Kubota M5640SUD, Dresser TD7G Dozer

Attachments

• F_A9_OpPosition.JPG
    F_A9_OpPosition.JPG
    818.4 KB · Views: 825
   / Finished My 3rd Function Valve Install #2  
Nice. I'm still trying to decide if I should just do two rear remotes and put a tee in one of the lines so I can control a grapple or add a 3rd function as well.

/ Finished My 3rd Function Valve Install #3  
Good job. :thumbsup:

/ Finished My 3rd Function Valve Install
Nice. I'm still trying to decide if I should just do two rear remotes and put a tee in one of the lines so I can control a grapple or add a 3rd function as well.

When I got my tractor the options available were for either two or three rear remotes. I chose to go with two. Later I wished I had choosen the three remotes option. You never know what you might want to do in the future.

/ Finished My 3rd Function Valve Install #6  
When I got my tractor the options available were for either two or three rear remotes. I chose to go with two. Later I wished I had choosen the three remotes option. You never know what you might want to do in the future.

It's hard to know all of the uses you'll face once you own the tractor. I had originally thought of buying a box blade but after reading here I'm now going to build a grading scraper. I figured if I wanted remotes I could install them myself for about the cost of having the dealer install them and I really didn't need them to operate a box blade.

But now I'm finding that it would be nice to have the chute deflector on on the snow blower adjustable from the seat. That a grapple would be nice to have and of course both need a 3rd function valve. The GL40s have the FEL lever mounted to the rear fender very close to the three slots for the rear remotes.

So I love seeing what others do. Like you said, you never know what you will do in the future so it's nice to have lots of options.

/ Finished My 3rd Function Valve Install #7  
It seems the prevailing wisdom is that a "true" 3rd function is better solution than some others, such as running off your rear remotes, because you can can perform three functions simultaneously with your right hand on the loader lever (e.g., raise/lower, curl, and close a grapple).

I ended up taking that advice and just installed the Kubota 3rd function kit on my 5240. I saved a ton of money installing it myself, but it was not an insignificant undertaking.

Even after one weekend, I can see the grapple will result in a quantum leap in productivity, given that I have lots of rocks, trees, stumps, and brush.

/ Finished My 3rd Function Valve Install #8  
May be a dumb question but what is a top and tilt? :confused::confused2:

It seems the prevailing wisdom is that a "true" 3rd function is better solution than some others, such as running off your rear remotes, because you can can perform three functions simultaneously with your right hand on the loader lever (e.g., raise/lower, curl, and close a grapple).I ended up taking that advice and just installed the Kubota 3rd function kit on my 5240. I saved a ton of money installing it myself, but it was not an insignificant undertaking.

Even after one weekend, I can see the grapple will result in a quantum leap in productivity, given that I have lots of rocks, trees, stumps, and brush.

I'm not sure what you mean by this but I guess it is a compliment so thanks. I agree that using the rear remote lever down by my thigh was awkward at times. Now I can operate both levers simultainiously with one hand which is much better for me. And I can run the grapple at the same time as any of the bucket motions. I find this almost necessary when trying to pick one particular log out of a pile. The grapple valve has full feathering control too which I like. No switch to choose between functions to confuse me. I am not sure if you would call it a "true" third function or not but I guess I would because I have all three all the time.

Attachments

• P1020926.JPG
    P1020926.JPG
    430.5 KB · Views: 375
  • LoadingTrk1(1).JPG
    LoadingTrk1(1).JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 319
Last edited:
May be a dumb question but what is a top and tilt? :confused::confused2:

As they say "The only dumb question is the one you don't ask".
A Top and Tilt is tractor speak for a hydraulic top link and a hydraulic side link. In other words you replace your top link ( TOP ) with a hydraulic cylinder so you can adjust it on the fly as you work. If you have a box blade or grader you know how handy this would be. You also replace one of your side links (TILT ) with a hydraulic cylinder. This allows you to change or adjust the tilt angle of your impliment as you work. Again, very handy for rear blade work where you are trying to maintain a specific road contour such as a crown.
Hope this simple explanation helps a little. When I receive mine from Fit Rite Hydraulics I will post some pictures.

gg