KUBOTA BALLAST BOX"QUESTION"

/ KUBOTA BALLAST BOX"QUESTION" #1  

512high

Bronze Member
Tractor
2011 JOHN DEERE 244J
Hi Everyone,
Im new to the field of tractors...but learning"slow"..lol, I have a 2006 Kubota L-4330HSTC(used for snow removal only), I just purchased a Kubota Ballast Box for it, have not "loaded" yet, my questions are below.

1.) The box is "raised" as high as the hydrulics will allow, seems level, but if i push on the left or right side, there is a little swing movement....is this normal?

2.) my shop floor is level, but when i measure the bottom of the box on each side, to the floor...one side is off 1.5", and does look a little cockeyed...any ideas?

thanks,

Philip

/ KUBOTA BALLAST BOX"QUESTION" #2  
I like my implements fairly snug on the back. I would attemp to adjust the side links so there is very little slop in them.

As far as one side being lower than the other........... you can adjust this on the right side, with the threaded, or ratchet style adjuster ( whichever your tractor came with).

/ KUBOTA BALLAST BOX"QUESTION"
ductape, thanks for the quick reply, sidelinks ? are those the lower "arms" with chains that hold a "pin" through slotted holes? there is a "arm or small crank" if looking behind loader, right side,?

thanks

/ KUBOTA BALLAST BOX"QUESTION" #4  
Yes your side links are the bars with pins, adjust those as tighlty as possible, once filled the bb will be very heavy and you dont want it banging around. The threaded link on the side is what you should adjust to get it to sit level side to side.

the treaded "link"?, well what i have is an arm that is threaded on both ends,one end attatchs to the ballast box in the middle, the other end goesto an upper pin in tractor, that made it level, however i see a "handle/crank" in the rear not sure what that does.

as for play, it swings about 1" perside, and again alittle cockeyed, one end is higher then the other by an inch or two.

philip

/ KUBOTA BALLAST BOX"QUESTION" #6  
If you look at the 3 pt hitch from the rear the right lower arm is adjustable. Each lower link has a rod going down to about the middle, the one on the right is adjustable, the one on the left is not. That adjustment levels your attachment side to side.

My tractor is slightly newer so it may not be the same but on mine there's a square tube that slides up and down on the rod connected to the right lower link. You need to slide it up and then you can turn it to adjust the length of the rod. You will need to do it with no weight on the 3 pt hitch as that will make it hard to turn. You'll be able to adjust the cockeyed out of it.

If your still not sure I can take a picture of mine.

/ KUBOTA BALLAST BOX"QUESTION" #7  
512High, you need to get your manual out and read it. Instructions for adjustable side link and sway bars with pictures and descriptions are in there. As for not being level, should just be able to adjust your side link to level up, if not, you will need to look at further. The 3 point attachment system has some play in it. Everything is held on by swivel joints, holes, and pins. It is not 'super' tight like you bolted everything together. Side to side movement is expected, but you can minimize that using the holes and not the slots in your swaybars. I would also think the higher you have your ballast box, the more sway you would have. I do not lift my 1250 pound ballast box all the way up, only high enough to get the job done. Right in the middle of the 1st picture is the adjustable side link. It is a sqarish box with 2 small handles that has the theads on the top and bottom. As you turn this, the link gets shorter or longer, and is used to level out your 3 point as required. Same picture to the right is your swaybar, you will have a left and a right. Pull the pins out of the hole to help you hook up to implements, and to adjust the width of the spread. These should be symetrical. If you want less play, use the holes instead of the slots. Philip.

Attachments

• SIDELINK02.JPG
    SIDELINK02.JPG
    965.7 KB · Views: 477
  • BALBOX08.jpg
    BALBOX08.jpg
    608.9 KB · Views: 478
  • FBLADE11.jpg
    FBLADE11.jpg
    763.1 KB · Views: 457
Thank you Philip! And all the others that have also responded, I did pull out my owners manual this morning, and looking from the rear of the loader, that "hand crank", did the trick! No longer cockeyed!! and yes there is a little sway from left to right but not much, in fact as soon as this box is filled, im sure it wont be moving that easy,again thank you to all, this site is great!!! Yes i'm new at this but learning from all of you! again thank you to all

philip

/ KUBOTA BALLAST BOX"QUESTION" #9  
I assume your box is empty now? What till you get 500 to 1200 pounds in it, it will go from side to side on uneven ground and you will feel it. Nothing to be concerned about, just a fact of inertia. Snow plowing this has never been an issue because I plow a blackdrop driveway. But when doing FEL work off road, you can feel it behind you. Philip.

last question Philip! I've heard guys load theirs with "lead", then cement, some just cement, others old weight lifting plates, ete, etc,etc. Any advice?

thanks