Oil & Fuel 50 Hour Service

/ 50 Hour Service #1  

Davebota

Tractor
Kubota B2929
Hi, new to the forum. I have a new B2920 that I just performed my 50 hour service. Just a few questions as the manual doesnt quite explain it well.

First of all .....why 2 drain plugs for the oil? Second, why do I see 2 oil fill caps under the hood?

I know the one on top is for the oil, but the other is on the right side of the engine as it looks like it is conected to the injection pump. If I pull the cap off I can see gears in there. What oil goes in there or is it tied into the Hydraulic system?

Also, lots of fun trying to spin those filters on for the trans and Hydraulics so you dont lose all your oil ......

Thanks for any info you can provide

/ 50 Hour Service #2  
Hi, new to the forum. I have a new B2920 that I just performed my 50 hour service. Just a few questions as the manual doesnt quite explain it well.

First of all .....why 2 drain plugs for the oil? Second, why do I see 2 oil fill caps under the hood?

I know the one on top is for the oil, but the other is on the right side of the engine as it looks like it is conected to the injection pump. If I pull the cap off I can see gears in there. What oil goes in there or is it tied into the Hydraulic system?

Also, lots of fun trying to spin those filters on for the trans and Hydraulics so you dont lose all your oil ......

The 2 drain plugs are because the bottom 1/3 of the oil sump is split by the front axle drive shaft
The second oil filler cap by the IP is just another place you can add oil to the engine when the engine is used in different applications. They both go to the same place.:)

/ 50 Hour Service #3  

I have a B2920 also, and am coming up on the 50 hour service. What issues did you have with the filters? Also, did you stay with the UDT and Kubota oil? I am thinking Conoco Powertran or JD Streett Premium tractor fluid and a good CI-4 15/40 engine oil. What about filters? Did you stay with Kubota filters or go with an aftermarket?

/ 50 Hour Service #4  
I have a B2920 also, and am coming up on the 50 hour service. What issues did you have with the filters? Also, did you stay with the UDT and Kubota oil? I am thinking Conoco Powertran or JD Streett Premium tractor fluid and a good CI-4 15/40 engine oil. What about filters? Did you stay with Kubota filters or go with an aftermarket?

With the kind of money it takes to buy a new tractor, is it worth the money you save buying off-brand oil and filters to compromise your warranty..??

Was his issues with the filters because he changing only the filters and not the oil

When performing my 50 hr, I went and changed the hyd oil also just for yukks...(Kubota recomended changing only the hyd filter also)

/ 50 Hour Service #5  
BTW, Welcome to TBN.........:welcome:

/ 50 Hour Service
The 2 drain plugs are because the bottom 1/3 of the oil sump is split by the front axle drive shaft
The second oil filler cap by the IP is just another place you can add oil to the engine when the engine is used in different applications. They both go to the same place.:)

Thanks a bunch, It really looked weird with that other fill cap saying oil, like I said, I saw a gear or 2 in there and it looks like it drives the IP thats why I was confused....THANK YOU ! very much!

/ 50 Hour Service

Hi Steve, 50 hour service was pretty easy. If you have any mechanical ability it should be a breeze.

First thing I did was wash it to remove any dirt or particles that could find its way where it shouldnt and this way you dont get dirty either ...

The Filters for the Trans and Hydraulics were not explained well in the manual. I found it funny that they just want to replace just the filters so what I did is do it the way they said but you have to be a magician to ever get the second filter on before you loose all the oil.

So your best bet is drain ALL the fluid before you remove the filters, this way you have fresh oil after the break in.

Im a firm believer in factory filters. Oil and UDT I also bought Kubota. I guess the oil and hydraulic,trans fluids could be of another brand but I figured as long as its under warranty Im gonna stick with Kubota.....the prices are about the same.

I worked in a dusty enviornment the first 50 so I also changed the air filter ....just remember 2 drain plugs on the oil and also the Hydro/Trans fluid as well.

I purchased all the oil and filters from the dealer and I had about 100 bucks in parts .......dealers want 400 to 500 for the service

Also , make sure you grease all the fittings from front to rear, and also the ones underneath the driver. The pedals all have fittings under there...

The adjustment on the clutch is very simple also, the owners manual walks you through that .....it was a breeze to do and allot of fun!

/ 50 Hour Service
With the kind of money it takes to buy a new tractor, is it worth the money you save buying off-brand oil and filters to compromise your warranty..??

Was his issues with the filters because he changing only the filters and not the oil

When performing my 50 hr, I went and changed the hyd oil also just for yukks...(Kubota recomended changing only the hyd filter also)

Hi I wont waver from the factory filters and oil, there really isnt much difference between that and aftermarket ....plus if you have a problem the dealer is more willing to help you out if he knows you been using the factory parts.

It wanted you to just replace the filters at 50 which I found to be a bit redundent so once I took them off I found out it is easier to just drain it and put new in ....especially after break in ...

/ 50 Hour Service
BTW, Welcome to TBN.........:welcome:

Thank you Sir! Please to be here and look forward to sharing tips and getting knowledge on these machines.....its my first Kubota and I love it ...

I have the front bucket, backhoe and mid mower on mine, I bought a clamp on plow for the winter and it plowed both the driveways just perfect !

Hope to see you around ...and thanks everyone for all the help! :thumbsup:

/ 50 Hour Service #10  
SIR..??.....My father was SIR.....:laughing:

Like you, I love this site for the exchange of tips and knowledge also....Looking forward to Pics of you on your machine in action....:thumbsup: