50 Hour Service

/ 50 Hour Service #1  

paulwestski

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L4240
Since Kubota recommends only changing the hydraulic filters and not the fluid. Can a wet dry vac attached to the hydraulic fill opening and turned on keep from loosing any hydraulic fluid while removing the filters?

The tractor is a L3400HST

Last edited:
   / 50 Hour Service #2  
When we do the 200 hour service on our L5030, my son only loses a quart when he changes the filters and doesn't use anything.

/ 50 Hour Service #3  
Since Kubota recommends only changing the hydraulic filters and not the fluid. Can a wet dry vac attached to the hydraulic fill opening and turned on keep from loosing any hydraulic fluid while removing the filter

:confused:My operators manual on my L2800HST XTRA Power shows replacing the hyd. fluid as well as the filters at the 50 hr service and thereafter at 400 hr intervals. I purchased the tractor August 2010, but the manual was not with it so the dealer ordered me one, I'm now wondering if he gave me an older manual instead of the one for my tractor. Has anything changed in the last few years concerning the fluid change? Also mine came with Super UDT but my dealer says he only sells UDT because our temps do not get low enough to warrant using Super UDT. Any thoughts on this? I have read where you can use the vacuum to eliminate losing any fluid while replacing the filters.

Thanks,
Curt

Last edited:
   / 50 Hour Service #4  
Yes you can, but do it as fast as you can because the air flow through the vacuum is what cools the motor.

/ 50 Hour Service #5  
CurtisG said:
:confused:My operators manual on my L2800HST XTRA Power shows replacing the hyd. fluid as well as the filters at the 50 hr service and thereafter at 400 hr intervals. I purchased the tractor August 2010, but the manual was not with it so the dealer ordered me one, I'm now wondering if he gave me an older manual instead of the one for my tractor. Has anything changed in the last few years concerning the fluid change? Also mine came with Super UDT but my dealer says he only sells UDT because our temps do not get low enough to warrant using Super UDT. Any thoughts on this? I have read where you can use the vacuum to eliminate losing any fluid while replacing the filters.

Thanks,
Curt

My dealer replaced hyd. fluid as well as filters at 50 hr service. Then again at 400 hr. Just had 50 hr service done a few weeks ago.

/ 50 Hour Service #6  
Since Kubota recommends only changing the hydraulic filters and not the fluid. Can a wet dry vac attached to the hydraulic fill opening and turned on keep from loosing any hydraulic fluid while removing the filters?

The tractor is a L3400HST

Just change out the oil and sleep well at night.

The Kubota recommendation is to keep routine maintenance costs down and to placate the environmentalists rather than for logic.

/ 50 Hour Service #7  
The newer models recommend only filter changes at 50 hours for HST models. There are countless threads on fluid changes and you will never get unanimity of opinion on anything related to lubricants/schedules.

/ 50 Hour Service #8  
Hmm....applying vacuum just to save a little hydraulic fluid could be counter productive (notice I say could). As the filter is opened to atmosphere....is there a chance that some of the crud that the filter has captured be sucked back into the oil reservoir? Just a thought........:confused:

/ 50 Hour Service #9  
Just a thought on 50 hour service from a service persons view:

1. Companys are now recommending (in some cases) not to change the fluid at 50 hours. This is done so that they can say that the maintance cost are lower.

2. Having seen the material that comes out of an HST at 50 hours (after initial break in) I would change it in my tractor every time after the first 50 hours, regardless of the cost (filter too, of course).

3. I would also like to note that I am overprotective of my customers and their equipment. In theory, if you follow suggestions by the manufacturer, there should not be an issue with the product. Dispite what some people might think, the manufacturer does not want a bunch of machine failures out there, in or out of warranty. It is just bad business.

So to sum up, if it were me, I would change the hydro oil at 50 hours because I would sleep better at night knowing I did, but if some one follows the recommendations in the book, they should be just fine. Just my 2 cents on 50 hour service.

/ 50 Hour Service #10  
Cost of tractor...$18,000
Cost of service (done yourself) with all fluids......~$150.00
Peace of mind.......priceless

In fact, I plan on changing the oil&filter and the hydro filter at 25 hours. Also plan to add a large cartridge fuel filter at that time and do away with the two inline filters.