B7100 rear wheels/axle noise

/ B7100 rear wheels/axle noise #1  

RussfromIA

Tractor
JD 790 '04
Just bought this B7100 over the weekend and was moving some dirt around the yard with the loader while the backhoe was on the 3pt. I started noticing some intermitent noise coming from the rearend. It almost sounds like the lugs on the rear wheels are loose, but when I shake the tractor side to side they don't seem to be loose. Does this sound like something in the rear axes possibly? Of course I didn't notice it before I purchased the tractor, but you know how noises can make you paranoid after a purchase.

/ B7100 rear wheels/axle noise #2  
Check if the hubs on the rear axles are loose. This is very common on old B7100's. If the back hoe is still on, use the outriggers to lift the rear wheel off the ground and then shake the wheel. Check for play between the axle and the hub. A fey years back on of the hubs on my B7100 actually broke and the wheel almost fell off. New style hubs can be found on ebay for around $100 each. The new style cast hubs are much better than the old welded style.

/ B7100 rear wheels/axle noise #3  
It has been noted here also that you may have to shorten the spring that is under the set bolt that keeps the hub tight on the axle. I have to really torque down on mine on a regular basis to keep them from slopping around.

/ B7100 rear wheels/axle noise #4  
There's also a post or 2 about shimming the axle to limit the play. The issue is also on the B6100. A search will find info and pics on this.

/ B7100 rear wheels/axle noise #5  
If you have the original axle hubs I suggest you upgrade to the hubs from a later year "B" model. I had a B7100 and never could get the hubs tight. The slack in the hubs were causing the axle to wear also. I tried shimming, I tried tightening the H3ll out of them and they still had slack. I later sold the 7100 through a divorce. If I had kept it I would have changed the hubs once I found out later year "Bs" had improved hubs. I also had a B7300 (new style hubs) that had zero slack in the axle hubs. A big improvement.

/ B7100 rear wheels/axle noise
This one is a 1994 model. Is it still the old style?

/ B7100 rear wheels/axle noise #7  
I'm not sure, but I don't think they changed the hub style until they changed to the B7200, maybe even the B7300.

/ B7100 rear wheels/axle noise
Thanks for the info. That is really my only complaint about this tractor so far and it sounds like it can be easily fixed. It is the HST so doing yard work with the loader and tiller has been actually kind of fun except for the lack of power steering. The backhoe will come in handy when I do my retaining walls. Thanks again.