Snow B7500 and rear blade position in snow

/ B7500 and rear blade position in snow #1  

ShawnInMich

Tractor
Kubota B7500
I got my 7500 this fall and I'm using it now for snow removal. I have a FEL and a 5ft back blade. My driveway is on a hill and I'm struggling with the setting the right level for the rear blade.

The FEL has a float position which does the trick up front, but I haven't found a good solution on the back. The incline of the driveway varies, so I'm either too deep or too shallow with the rear blade.

I don't understand what potiion control or draft control is does for you, but I've gathered these features are missing from my 7500.

The rear blade is OK on the flat part of the dirt/gravel drive, *if* I don't mind leaving the top half inch or so of snow. But I'm finding it pretty useless on any part that is not reasonably flat.

/ B7500 and rear blade position in snow #2  
Shawn,

There is an active thread over in the Owner/Operating forum that has been discussing this. Look for back blading snow or something like that.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=genoperating&Number=223464&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=>Here's the link</A>

/ B7500 and rear blade position in snow #3  
Shawn,

Feathering the control is an exercise in frustration. There are a few solutions:

1. let the plow push the gravel into your yard & clean it up in the spring

2. Add skid shoes to your blade Available as an option from a few of the mfgs (Landpride & Woods that I know of) Costs about $100, or you can make your own if you weld or have a buddy who does.

3. Try plowing "backwards" as in the blade is facing the wrong way. Seems to dig up less gravel.

I use option 2 and have been very happy with it.

Do a search on rear blade & plow or snow & you'll find many other's experiences.

/ B7500 and rear blade position in snow
I've found that going backwards is better, but still a disappointment.

Skid shoes sounds like the way to go for me.

I guess my real question is - is this a particular problem in the B-7500? The 3-pt doesn't seem to float at all, unlike the FEL. I'm worried I didn't buy a feature I didn't know I needed. Does draft control or position control make a difference?

/ B7500 and rear blade position in snow #5  
Shawn

It is not an issue particular to your B-7500 - it is pretty much the same for all tractors.

Actually, your 3-pt DOES float. Let's look at terminology:

Float = There is no down force applied by the hydraulics. Any down force there is is due to the weight of the implement. In the case of your FEL, it's the bucket and arms. In the case of your back blade it's the weight of the blade. If the force pushing up is greater than the weight, the implement (of FEL) will move up and "float" along the surface. If your blade is digging into your gravel more than your FEL bucket in float, it's either heavier or thinner than the bucket or both.

Position Control= The height of the implement on the 3-pt directly relates to the position of the 3-pt lift handle. That is, if you can set your 3-pt handle half way up (or half way down however you want to look at it), the implement will go half way up or half way down. If you don't have position control, you will have a three-position 3-pt lift handle. "Raise" "lower" and "stop". The only way to get an implement half way up or down without position control is to catch it at just the right height and move the handle to the stop position (or fiddle with the stops on the linkage). If I ever trade up from my B6100, getting position control will be one of the biggest reasons. With position control, you can easily set your back blade down to 1" above the ground, raise it at the end of a run and then lower it back down to exactly the same height - an impossible feat on my B6100. Note that whatever your 3-pt implement is set at (except full up), it is ALWAYS in float .

Draft Control = A system that automatically overcomes the forces that try to pull a plow on a 3-pt deeper into the ground. The system balances the down-pull on the plow and the lifting force of the 3-pt to keep the plow running at a near constant depth. Draft Control is usually found only on larger farm tractors and is useful only for plows since there aren't many (if any) other implements that will "pull themselves deeper".

Hope this helps.

(Note: I edited this to add the fact that there is a "stop" position on a 3-pt without position control.)

/ B7500 and rear blade position in snow
Thanks Bill. These are the explainations I was looking for. Further confirmation that I need the skid pads.

/ B7500 and rear blade position in snow #7  
If you haven't already, you might also try playing with the length of your top link. I find that it doesn't take much to make a big difference in how the blade acts.

Corm

/ B7500 and rear blade position in snow #8  
I have not plowed much snow but I cannot see how you could use a plow, blade or blower on gravel and not have a mess. I think if you had Position Control you might be able to set the blade height an inch or so above the ground and as long as the drive is smooth it would not dig in. When I grade my gravel road I sometimes set my rear blade just above contact with the ground so it knocks off the high spots. Yeah, position control is one of the reasons the 2410 was my choice after struggling with the BX which has a similar set up to the 7500.
What if you installed a rubber cutting edge made from that horse stall material and then used the blade going backwards as was discussed on another thread?
Here is an idea, since your tractor is brand new maybe you could take it back and tell the dealer you want a 2410 etc. Maybe he would trade you as if you had just done a demo with the 7500--just a thought that could be way out there. J

/ B7500 and rear blade position in snow #9  
I have the same 7500 and a 6' rear blade but instead of adding shoes, I added wheels that keep the blade 1" above ground. Check it out.

Attachments

• 2-224426-tractorbldlr.JPG
    2-224426-tractorbldlr.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 206
   / B7500 and rear blade position in snow #10  
Shawn I have the woods RB72 I am using with my B7500. I purchased the woods skid shoes for it and it's the best move I have made, I have a gravel drive and have only torn us a few stone. I plow in reverse and then clean up with the loader. I adjust the top link to adjust the height of the blade while its sitting on the ground. Works well. Best of luck it just takes time and lots of experimenting. What more could you ask for while sitting on your tractor. Just think of the extra hours you will get with favorite toy.
Joe M