BX running hot

/ BX running hot #1  

chucko

Veteran Member
Tractor
bx1800
My little bx was running hot and did not seem to be pumping water so I removed the thermostat and it is now pumping water but still will run hot. My assumption is the radiator is so small the coolant will not slow down enough to just run without the thermostat. I have one ordered and it should be here Friday.
Do you guys feel my assumption is correct or might I have another problem?

/ BX running hot #2  
Chucko,

I have seen this 1,000 times. I would like to give you some advise. Please don't get mad at me, I could be wrong. However, if I answered this way to everyone who had your complaint, I would be right far more times that not. If I were you, I would remove the radiator from my tractor and visually inspect. On these smaller units, I have seen numerous times where a customer does clean his radiator, and the radiator looks to be clean while it is inside the tractor. Upon removing the radiator in my shop, I find that it is not clean, although it did look that was when it was installed in the unit. Also, removed the raidator cap from the radiator (not with hot coolant). Look at the groove or ledge in the top of the radiator that the cap seals on. Is it smooth or is it damaged and erroded? If it is not smooth (it should be raised, don't get me wrong, but it should be nice and smooth), then you need a new radiator because yours is not sealing properly and it will not hold pressure like it should.

As for the thermostat, removing the thermostat will only cause (at least negative effects) the engine to take longer to reach operating temperature. It will not allow the coolant to flow so fast that the radiator does not work. The fins inside the radiator restrict the flow of coolant (due to their size), the thermostat only turns "on/off" the coolants access to the radiator (and regulates how much flow goes to the radiator based on temperature). It does this for the sole reason of getting the engine up to operating temp.

I hope this helped you out some. Like I said, I would get that radiator out and inspect it before I spent any more money or used the equipment again on a hot day. Just my 2 cents.

/ BX running hot
thanks. I will check that out

I have not looked at thating the radiator out is it fairly easy to get out?

/ BX running hot #4  
There are numerous threads on this issue. Sometimes the problem has been the thermostat. Most often, it seems to be tiny stuff clogging the radiator. When I brush hog my wild oats after they've dried, huge amounts of fluffy chaff gets into the air. The fan sucks it into the input in front of the driver, below the steering wheel. I have to wipe the outer screen clean about every 4 min. Every 25-30 min. I have to take the tractor to the garage and use the whole house vacuum with the skinny wand attached to clean both screens AND the radiator face. This is a powerful vac. It's important to get behind the battery and clean every sq. inch thoroughly. Some use an air compressor hose to blast from the other side. This has been a problem for numerous BX owners and there are many threads about this in the archives if you care to search for lengthier discussion.

/ BX running hot #5  
Like Tom says, clean the side screens and look for a screen at the radiator. My B1750 used to run hot as h_ _ _ until I started blowing out the screens with my leaf blower after each mowing.

/ BX running hot #6  
I always blow out the radiator fins with compressed air. Its amazing how much crap gets stuck inside the fins. Totally neutralizes any cooling action on the radiators part.

/ BX running hot #7  
Where is the temperature sesor located on the BX1800? If it is like my 1850 it is right next to the muffler and this also helps increase the temp reading. Another board member suggested putting an insulating wrap around the wires and sensor and this helped on my BX. The wrao is typically used or race cars etc. I am sorry but I can not remember the name of the product at this time.

Roy

/ BX running hot #8  
My BX began to run hotter one time too. If you remove the slide in screen you will likely notice debris clogging the radiator fins. Just blows it out with an air hose and the temperature will return to normal. No need to remove it.

/ BX running hot #9  
did you clean the prefilter screen yet like other poster said? did you take screen for battery and clean that too? slide the battery out and observe the rad fins. chances are it needs to be cleaned out. IF none of this is working out, I would pull the rad out and take to your local radatior repair shop to have it inspected and tested. several of your cooling tubes may be clogged.

/ BX running hot
I clean the screen every time I fuel . However like suggest I looked a little closer and it was clogged with what looked like wet babby powder

Tex was 100% right

Seems the screen would should be finer than the radator not the other way around
but now I know what to look for so it's no big deal