Loader Expanded slip hooks vs grab hooks

/ Expanded slip hooks vs grab hooks #1  

Jeffnew

Tractor
Kubota BX2660
Just bought a BX2660 which i am thrilled with. My first tractor, bought after we moved out of the city to a home with 2 acres of pasture and a babbling brook. I feel sort of like Eddie Arnold in "Green Acres" (for those of us old enough to remember it).

I want to put hooks on the bucket and was looking at the BXpanded bucket hooks. But I confess I don't know the difference between "slip" hooks and "grab" hooks. Can anyone help me to understanding?

Also, do these hooks really work -- that is, could I lift ~400 pounds without bending the bucket?

love TractorByNet -- lots of great info here!

...jeff

/ Expanded slip hooks vs grab hooks #2  
Just bought a BX2660 which i am thrilled with. My first tractor, bought after we moved out of the city to a home with 2 acres of pasture and a babbling brook. I feel sort of like Eddie Arnold in "Green Acres" (for those of us old enough to remember it).

I want to put hooks on the bucket and was looking at the BXpanded bucket hooks. But I confess I don't know the difference between "slip" hooks and "grab" hooks. Can anyone help me to understanding?

Also, do these hooks really work -- that is, could I lift ~400 pounds without bending the bucket?

love TractorByNet -- lots of great info here!

...jeff

Hooks work well, I prefer "grab" over slip, notice how a chain is built, each link is at 90 degrees to the next link, so if a link fits in the gap provided by a grab hood, then the next link will not be able to move into the gap as it is 90 degrees, to it and is to "fat" to fit. A slip hook is normally used for cable or rope, and is a larger rounded inside shap. it allows you to balance a load by slipping the rope to the center of balance ( I think, I have never used one like that) But anyway, your hooks should not bend you bucket, and if centered on the bucket, and your max lift is 400 lbs, then yes you should be able to lift about 400 lbs on the hook..

James K0UA

/ Expanded slip hooks vs grab hooks #3  
Hi, I would go with a grab hook , do a search on this site ,There was a fella that makes a really nice bolt on Grab Hook for your bucket.

/ Expanded slip hooks vs grab hooks #4  
Big nylon straps also do well on slips-helps balance a load you're trying to lift. I gotta run right now. Will be back in a few hours and post links to old threads with many pics.

/ Expanded slip hooks vs grab hooks #5  
Jeffnew,

We get the question about the hooks pretty often.

Grab hooks are primarily designed for use with chains. The hook opening is basically a slot that one link of the chain slips into. The next link can't fit through the slot so it is essentially "grabbed" by the hook. Similar to tying one end of a rope to a load and grasping or grabbing the rope tightly with your hand and pulling.

The slip hook has a rounded opening. The opening is large enough to allow the chain to slide or "slip" through the hook. The tag end of the chain must be attached to the load or hooked back to the chain itself. Similar to tying both ends of a rope to a load and pulling while holding the rope loosely in your hand. This can be advantageous when it's desirable to allow the load to equalize, as when carrying a long log.

Both types of hooks have advantages and disadvantages, but both are quite versatile. The slip hooks are preferred for work with nylon lifting straps, but the grab hooks can be used for that as well.

We offer grab hooks in 2 sizes, 5/16" and 3/8". Chain sizes are determined by the diameter of the steel bar used to make the links.

The most commonly ordered is the 5/16 grab hook. These are often used in combination with a slip hook for the maximum flexibility.

We've lots of hooks out there and have never heard of a bent bucket. The loader will lift considerably more than 400 lbs. The PWC in this link Quick-On Bucket Hooks weighs more than 500 lbs.
Cheers,
Harry
BXpanded

/ Expanded slip hooks vs grab hooks #6  
I have the BXpanded grab hooks, they work very well. I've had no issues with anything bending. If you want both types, buy the grab hooks and then buy a short (less than 1 ft) piece of chain and put a slip hook on the end of it. Throw the chain in your BXpanded grab hook and now you have the slip hook you wanted.

Matt.