3pt auger not going down all the way

/ 3pt auger not going down all the way #1  

hglucky13

Tractor
kubota l3400
anyway the title gets it started. please stick with me as i am a noob to tractors, but i am capable of fixing things. i have a 2010 kubota l3400 and i am not able to get the 3 pt. auger to go all the way down.it only digs about a 8 in. down and it hits the stop. i had the auger on a few months ago and it worked fine. now it seems the position control lever has no influence on the hydraulic unit from about 5 down to 0 . did i do something to the pump? or is there an adjustment somewhere i don't see?
any help is much appreciated. the dealer is not open on sunday and i really wanted to get the garden fences in today.
thanx
alan

Last edited:
   / 3pt auger not going down all the way #2  
anyway the title gets it started. please stick with me as i am a noob to tractors, but i am capable of fixing things. i have a 2010 kubota l3400 and i am not able to get the 3 pt. auger to go all the way down.it only digs about a 8 in. down and it hits the stop. i had the auger on a few weeks ago and it worked fine. now it seems the position control lever has no influence on the hydraulic unit from about 5 down to 0 . did i do something to the pump? or is there an adjustment somewhere i don't see?
any help is much appreciated. the dealer is not open on sunday and i really wanted to get the garden fences in today.
thanx
alan

1. Are the implement draft controls released to allow full movement of the auger downward?

2. Disconnect the PTO shaft completely and drive forward slightly and then try releasing the draft controls and allow the auger to simply lower its self to the ground.

3. is there a needle valve under the seat and is is fully opened?, that may be the needle in the haystack for you.

/ 3pt auger not going down all the way #3  
. now it seems the position control lever has no influence on the hydraulic unit from about 5 down to 0 . did i do something to the pump? .
thanx
alan

Just a shot in the dark,but make sure your suction return hose under your r pedal(fuel) assembly is not cracked or loose on ends were it clamps down.Common minor problem on L2800/L3400 units.

Boone

/ 3pt auger not going down all the way
thanx for the reply:thumbsup:
this tractor is not equiped with a draft control.
i am not sure what you are referring to as a needle valve, there is a lowering speed knob that adjusts the speed that the 3 pt. works. is that the same? and if so would it give the 3 pt. more power if you were slower ( or faster)?
i finally got frustrated and took off the auger, and the 3 pt. cycles as it should with no implement on it. it stops lowers and raises as it should at each number. yesterday i had the blade on it and it seemed to work just fine. i am gonna try to put the blade back on and see if it is different than yesterday.

thanx
alan

thanx boone for the reply. i just went out and checked, all the lines and the connections seem solid. no leaks, outside is bone dry.
i am gonna try to put the blade back on see what happens.
thanx
alan

with the back blade on it seems to function like normal. i am beginning to think that maybe it is not strong enough. it acts like when you lower the blade and once it hits hard enough soil it wont go down any further, theposition control handle still moves but the hydro is at max. i am beginning to wonder if maybe the soil is still a little frozen down there (it is snowing a little today.)
any way i hope it is something stupid like that, or operator error. i can take being stupid i just don't want to know i broke my new tractor:D.

alan

/ 3pt auger not going down all the way #7  
You say the auger goes in about eight inches than stops going down.
Are you hitting a rock or very hard ground? Did you try another area.
If the lift operates without the auger on, it has to be a rock or
you put the hitch pin in a different hole then you had before.
Augers have to fit so many different tractors they have many adjustments.
Try moving the top link,or letting it out.

/ 3pt auger not going down all the way #8  
First let me state that I know zilch about your machine, or augers in general. So forgive the dumb question:

Does that 3pt hitch _power_ down or _float_ down? The few I've been around float down, so unless the auger is actually screwing itself into the ground, nothing much will happen.

</dumb question>

/ 3pt auger not going down all the way #9  
There is no down pressure, other than gravity. This is somewhat common with PHD, some people add weight (hang it on the end with a hook) or add hydraulic down pressure kit.

Last edited:
   / 3pt auger not going down all the way #10  
Well so much for the dumb question (thanks teg). Now for the insulting one :)

I hired a guy a few years ago to punch in some post holes. The ground was pretty fluffy so he should have had no problems. I watched from a distance as he tried over and over to get the auger to dig. Finally went and took a look.

His previous job had been in very rocky soil, and he had bent his auger blade ends so badly that they were pointed backward. For some reason, even after I showed him, he couldn't understand why the auger wouldn't dig :(

I got out my 24" crescent wrench (always the right tool for the job!) and simply bent the blade ends back where they belonged. I imagine they were due to break soon, but at least I got my holes dug. Shortly after that I bought my BX :)

The short version of this is - how do your auger blades look?

Z.