Ratchet Rake

/ Ratchet Rake #11  
Anyone that has this and a tooth bar, can you tell me is it different enough to have both? Tooth bar grabs brush pretty good, but that thing has a lot more teeth. THanks.

/ Ratchet Rake #12  
Anyone that has this and a tooth bar, can you tell me is it different enough to have both? Tooth bar grabs brush pretty good, but that thing has a lot more teeth. THanks.

I have both and use them in different ways. Yes, a tooth bar will grab brush well but it won't rip all the undergrowth at the same time like a ratchet rake will. The ratchet rake is used in both forward and reverse movement. Forward, you have your FEL level to the ground and the smaller teeth are ripping the ground while the larger teeth is ripping up the brush. After you make the forward pass, you lift your FEL over the crap you just ripped up and angle your FEL downwards with both sets of teeth touching the ground. While back dragging you move the stuff you just loosened up and rip what may have been missed in the forward pass.

/ Ratchet Rake #13  
I have both and use them in different ways. Yes, a tooth bar will grab brush well but it won't rip all the undergrowth at the same time like a ratchet rake will. The ratchet rake is used in both forward and reverse movement. Forward, you have your FEL level to the ground and the smaller teeth are ripping the ground while the larger teeth is ripping up the brush. After you make the forward pass, you lift your FEL over the crap you just ripped up and angle your FEL downwards with both sets of teeth touching the ground. While back dragging you move the stuff you just loosened up and rip what may have been missed in the forward pass.

Thanks, yeah I was picturing something like that, do they make one that bolts on?

/ Ratchet Rake #14  
Thanks, yeah I was picturing something like that, do they make one that bolts on?
They do not make the RR to bolt on. I can't think of a reason to want to bolt it on with the way it's made. It clips over the edge of the bucket lip and then ratchet handle tightens it down/on. Takes a minute or two with no tools and by yourself. Easiest implement I have to put on and take off alone.
I had a toothbar before RR, sold it and a few years later bought the RR. Different purposes and toothbar did nothing for me but love the RR.

/ Ratchet Rake #15  
They do not make the RR to bolt on. I can't think of a reason to want to bolt it on with the way it's made. It clips over the edge of the bucket lip and then ratchet handle tightens it down/on. Takes a minute or two with no tools and by yourself. Easiest implement I have to put on and take off alone.
I had a toothbar before RR, sold it and a few years later bought the RR. Different purposes and toothbar did nothing for me but love the RR.

Right, but bolting on only takes about 10 minutes and I am pretty sure I would destroy the ratchets.

/ Ratchet Rake #16  
I have a lot of Big Pine trees around the house. How would it do raking up pine needles? They are a real pain. The Ratchet Rake might do a quick job of them.

Charlie

/ Ratchet Rake #17  
I have a lot of Big Pine trees around the house. How would it do raking up pine needles? They are a real pain. The Ratchet Rake might do a quick job of them.

Charlie

I would guess that it would work really well, but I can also tell you that a box blade set right will rake those up perfectly as well

/ Ratchet Rake #18  
Right, but bolting on only takes about 10 minutes and I am pretty sure I would destroy the ratchets.
I've been using mine for a few years and the ratchets are pretty solid. I don't like them because I guess I haven't fully figured them out. May spray them with lubricant to see if it makes them a bit easier to use. When I do tear them up, the way I'm going now I'll be dead first because they show no wear, I'll get the reversable chain type ratchets truckers use to tighten down their loads when they die which I don't see happening.:)
The RR has a metal cable running under them and around the back of the bucket to where the straps and ratchet attach. I know people that use equioment commercially put more wear on implements and equipment but I believe you'd be surprised how durable the RR and it's hook up is. The way they attach doesn't put much pressure on the ratchet. Most of the pressure is distributed across the bottom of the bucket.
I'm sure a bracket could be made to bolt/weld to bucket and to RR if one wants that but I believe you'll see that the bolt on isn't necessary after you use them.
They used to have straps all around them, then the company added sleeves to cover the strap on the bottom and then they went to the metal cable on the bottom with the strap just across the top where it doesn't have any ground contact. I've been through all three stages of the development because I've bought two different ones from then. Bought a bigger one for a bigger tractor a few years ago and then the smaller one for my previous BX2660 which I now use on my BX25.
I believe you would get lots of benefit out of it for your business and a business man always needs a write off, so give the money to us with your taxes or keep it yourself for a tool that will make your jobs easier.:):thumbsup:

/ Ratchet Rake #19  
I would guess that it would work really well, but I can also tell you that a box blade set right will rake those up perfectly as well
As with the toothbar vs RR. They will do different jobs or do the jobs differently.
The RR is up front and the bucket can reach places that a following BB can't. The BB may pick the needles up and the RR will not. I can see pulling needles back to a pile then if one has a BB then maybe coming along and letting the BB pick them up. If one doesn't have a BB then the RR can pull the needles to a pile then it's get off the tractor time and hand load the needles into the front bucket or back drag the needles to their final resting site.