Grading Grading blade recomendations

/ Grading blade recomendations #1  

CurtisC

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B26TLB
I've recently purchased a B26TLB and have 1/2 mile gravel drive to maintain. Most of the grade is 8-10% with some steeper sections. The road bed and drainage ditchs contain a lot of rock (two sections required blasting). The maintenance work includes ditches as well as scraping and after numerous concrete trucks, etc its in need of some shaping (crowning) and run off cuts (in my novice opinion) before bringing in new gravel to replace what I've lost to errosion. With the use of the hoe as up hill counter weight I've been able to carefully work the across the slope of the road and scoop out the ditches with the FEL (love the 8 ft turning radius). However, a rear mounted offset/angled GB would seem to be the best way to clean them up after the excess material is removed, add some crown to the road where water doesn't drain well, and scrape the high and low spots. Additionally I want to be able to do some cut and fill work to level out some hillside areas.

I'm looking for recommendations on brand, model and size of blade for the machine? Is a GB the best option? I'd love to have both box and grading blades but budget is a concern.
Thanks,

/ Grading blade recomendations #2  
I have and use a rear grader blade and a box blade both BUSH-HOG branded.Sounds like the rear grader blade would work for you,buy one that can be off-set and tilted.They will be medium or heavy duty.Mine is a 50-06 which is a Medium duty(44hp tractor) seven ft.Also offered by Woods and Landpride and others.Check weights...heavier is better.

/ Grading blade recomendations #3  
Well, you definitely need a blade that can be offset. Problem is that I don't know if there is one that will work properly on your tractor for what you need to do. This Land Pride RB3572 may work for you, but the overall size may not be what your looking for.

Good luck

/ Grading blade recomendations #4  
I have a woods rb60 that is very well made it also has a tilt option but I have yet to try it . I paid around $500.00 from a local dealer .

I only use the blade for snow removal , it worked well this past winter for clearing the drive way .

/ Grading blade recomendations #5  
I've actually had a hard time finding an offset blade at a dealer that wasn't outrageously expensive. Got a quote of $1300 on a woods HBL84 rear blade. Extremely well built for sure, but more than I needed. Consequently, I'm looking at one of these:

Medium Duty Scrape Blades

/ Grading blade recomendations
I've actually had a hard time finding an offset blade at a dealer that wasn't outrageously expensive. Got a quote of $1300 on a woods HBL84 rear blade. Extremely well built for sure, but more than I needed. Consequently, I'm looking at one of these:

Seems to be a good fit for work I've got and you're right about how quick the price goes up on offsets. I'd agree with nybirdman that heavier is probably better mainly because I don't want to fill tires for ballast each time BH comes off. Quick web search didn't turn up any info on TRI Manufacturing, heard anything good or bad about this blade?
Thanks all for the help!

/ Grading blade recomendations #7  
since you have a FEL and BH. i would say go for a rear blade.

you can angle the blade some what by adjusting the arms on the 3pt hitch on back of tractor. which should be enough to get a crown in middle of the road way.

but if ya scrapping out ditches. you might want more angle than what you can get out of the adjusting links on the 3pt arms. but for price, and time spent. would an off set multi angle rear blade be worth it for you?

i'd say get a generic rear blade. and then save some cash back for a BB (box blade)

/ Grading blade recomendations #8  

Seems to be a good fit for work I've got and you're right about how quick the price goes up on offsets. I'd agree with nybirdman that heavier is probably better mainly because I don't want to fill tires for ballast each time BH comes off. Quick web search didn't turn up any info on TRI Manufacturing, heard anything good or bad about this blade?
Thanks all for the help!
I think this would be a good choice for the B sized Kubs, but Mpking -- for an L sized app it would be easily damaged.
larry

/ Grading blade recomendations #9  
I just bought a Gearmore GB70 for $750 (used but in like new condition). It can be offset and tilted. It weighs about 400 lbs. so I appreciate the built-in stand. I am very happy with it. It's built like a tank. I also like that the blade can be reversed (pivots 180degs) for moving material quickly. If you can find one, you won't be disappointed.

/ Grading blade recomendations #10  
SPYDERLK said:
I think this would be a good choice for the B sized Kubs, but Mpking -- for an L sized app it would be easily damaged.
larry

Really? In the video Ted says it's rated for up to 60hp. What do you think it's weak points are? Thanks for your help.