grass catcher gearbox lube change?

/ grass catcher gearbox lube change? #1  

bellweather

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota BX22
Anybody know how to access the fill/drain plugs on the two gearboxes inside a BX Grass Catcher? The owners manual does not cover this...it just tells you to change the gearbox oil at regular scheduled intervals.

Thanks!

/ grass catcher gearbox lube change?
I don't think this is a popular topic. Anyway, I figured it out. In case anyone is interested, to gain access to the gearbox drain plugs, it is necessary to remove the bottom plate of the drivetrain housing. There are holes in the upper drive train housing which provide access to the fill plugs.

Rock on...

/ grass catcher gearbox lube change? #3  
I did notice your post. In the 5 or 6 years that I have been using mine I have not changed the fluids. I probably put on 5-6 hrs in the spring (in combo with dethatcher) and 10-12 in the fall (leaves fall forever), so somewhere in the 15-20 hrs/year. The rest of the time I just let the clippings fall where they can decompose. Guess I am close to the 100 hrs that the manual recommends for changing the 1st oil (and 200 hrs after that). Your comment on the drain plugs make sense (I haven't looked yet) but am not sure of the upper ones. There is a rubber plug on the blower side upper frame, I don't see a comparable one on the PTO shaft area. Where is that one???? I have found the grass/leaf catcher to be indispensable in the spring and fall. If I happen to miss cutting and don't want to bale it, I put it on every now and then. I put some bar stock with wheels in the ends of the stand so it is very portable. Putting it on has also become much easier. Many four letter words the first year. Now, it is no sweat.

/ grass catcher gearbox lube change?
The opening on the PTO side is under the 3 pt hitch top link mounting flange. You have to remove that to gian access. I didn't change the oil in the end. I bought the grass catcher used and figured that it would be a good idea to change the oil, but decided against it after removing the fill plug on the blower side, the oil was perfectly clean. Guess the unit saw light duty by the previous owner.

I'm all set up and ready for mowing as soon as the grass starts growing for real. Good to hear that you like your unit. I was a little uncertain whether it was a wise purchase. BTW, I saw someone's post, perhaps yours, about the castors on bar stock and made some out of wood. Makes a huge difference in the PITA factor when moving that thing around the garage.

Thanks for the reply.

S.

/ grass catcher gearbox lube change? #5  
Thanks for the heads up on the second plug location. Was hoping I wouldn't have to do that much dis assembly. Since mine is running up the hours I probably will check the condition of the oil some time this year and let you know.

Dennis