starting problems

/ starting problems #1  

sailor

I need some help with starting problems on an older L2950.
Often the starter soleniod only "clicks" and may take up to 50 trys to get the starter to turn over. I have replace the switch, have a good charge and often the starter turns over right away. There is a loop of blue wire connected to a white connector near the starter that heats up with the number of clicks. Any suggestions?
thanks,Ed

/ starting problems #2  
Hello Ed.
Here a couple of things I would look for in trouble shooting.
Check your battery post and cables and make sure they are clean.
Check and clean your ground wires.
You mention that your wires heat up,for this could be do to lose wire or wires or a dirty connection,and once the wire heats up and causes and arc which makes a connection than your starter should turn over.
Another quick way to check and see if you have a weak starter. If your tractor doesn't start just clicks, rotate your engine by until your able to get at least on compression stroke than try to start your tractor.
If the tractor starts than you might have a dead stop in your starter.
How old is your battery?
Check you connection for build up.
I would be most interested what you find for results.
Good luck and take care.

/ starting problems #3  
Ed, Also that short loop of wire could be a fuse wire and it may be bad. Bypass it and if your problem goes away then replace it.

Von

/ starting problems #4  
Connections-Connections-Connections-Make sure all are good and clean both on the positive and also ground side of the system.
Next for simple troubleshooting get out your volt ohm meter and test for voltage drop--Start at the battery and get a noload voltage reading should be about 12.65 volts on a fully charged batt--next follow the wiring to the start solenoid take a reading there it should be the same--Next make sure your test leads are clear of any thing that spins because your going to take a reading of the outgoing side of the solenoid with the key in the start position --everything clear-ok now turn the key and take a voltage reading on the outgoing side there should be a small difference in voltage on the outgoing side if your losing a couple of volts there that is more than likley your problem--
There are two types of of solenoids frame mount away from starter and mounted right to the starter if its frame mount and bad replace it if its starter mount pull the solenoid after removing the ground wire to the battery we don't want to D-C arc weld--ok ground unhooked at battery now go back to the solenoid usually two screws hold the solinoid to the starter unhook the wires take the large copper bolt that hooks to the starter moter itself and rotate it 180 degrees and you have yourself a rebuilt solenoid the main copper bolt on the inside usually wears down half so by rotating it its a new clean connection--reassemble in reverse order
That wire you mentioned could possibly be a fusable link staring to go if so pull on either end of the wire and if it streches its bad and should be replaced or check for voltage drop across the connections if its getting hot you have high resistance there for one reason or another either clean or replace the connection--
If this does't help repost and I can go into much more detail but I think you'll find its just a simple---connection---connection---connection---Good luck

/ starting problems
The battery has been replaced, starter was checked at Advance Auto and pronounced good. The spade connector to the solenoid was loose and when tightened, seemed to correct the problem for a while, connections have been cleaned and even a special ground created. The idea that the loop of wire may be a fuse is one I had not considered. Will try the voltmeter tests one night this week. thanks for the ideas, will let you know. Ed

/ starting problems #6  
That loop of wire is a fusable link on the postive leg of the start solenoid--from there it has two to four wires tied into it on its way to the key switch center lug. If you can get your hands on a wiring diagram for your tractor it would really help you in tracing the circiuts.---good luck