b7100 parts availability

/ b7100 parts availability #1  

psient

Bronze Member
Hi All:

I have a working horse ranch in SoCal. My everyday tractor is a 2009 L4400. However, I am starting to put some of my property into crop production and decided I need a small tractor that can manage small jobs that might be otherwise relegated to my Troy Horse. The size of my projected crop-area is too great for a hand/walk-behind machine.

Therefore I have a project I'm beginning. Being a forum member it occurred to me that you guys might be able to give me support in the following arena:

I am going to refurbish/bring back into use, our B7100. I am NOT doing a restoration. The attachments on the tractor are 1) a loader and 2) a Howard rototiller.

The tractor has been sitting out in the open under a tree for about 5 years. Prior to being laid-up, a complete service was done on the machine (all fluids and filters). I am posting to garner info on the procedures for getting it running without causing any undue stress or strain on it.

Prior to being taken out of service it was running fine. However, there was a problem with the wiring; there was a battery drain and even if routinely used, the battery would slowly become progressively weaker and weaker eventually dying. I don't consider this a pressing problem. Rather imagine it can be addressed at the appropriate point in the refurbishing.

Today I went out and cleared a area around the machine and popped the hood. There are no signs of rust or rodent damage. I have all the manuals including those for the rototiller (a Howard) and the loader and the service manual. I read the operator's manual and the operation is fairly straight forward.

Looking around the web I see that parts for this tractor are available in general. However, I'd like to replace the fuel tank before I'm done and this doesn't really pop up in my searches. I think this implies that parts are no longer available outside of those that were designed to be routinely replaced in connection with maintenance.

I would like to ask forum members specifically:

What preventative areas should I be particularly concerned with as I move forward towards putting it back in service. For instance, what would you pull and clean (if anything) before trying to start it? Should I just hook up the battery and try to run it without any special precautions (besides those that are common-sense)? How would you get the internal parts of the engine lubricated before beginning the initial start up? Do you simply turn it over with the starter until the oil has circulated? Should I be concerned about the condition of the glow plugs? I'm in Southern California and the ambient air temperature as been between 75 and 90 during the day with nights hovering around the high 50s and 60s.

Although the engine and the engine compartment are not inordinately soiled or grimed-up, I intend to degrease these areas and wash them down with water prior to working on it. IN this regard should I use a pressure wash on the rinsing of the engine and chassis? Am I likely to damage exposed engine parts if I do this first? If so should I work in the engine compartment as it is?

Are there sources for parts?

Anything you can suggest along these lines or beyond what I have asked would be my reason for posting.

Thanks,

Jon

Last edited:
   / b7100 parts availability #3  
The tractor has been sitting out in the open under a tree for about 5 years.

How sad for the little beast. Why the need to replace the fuel tank, does it leak? Mine looks crappy but no leaks. There is a post of someone adding a clear fuel line to the outside of it so the amount of fuel can be easily seen.

As for starting it, may want to change the oil and fuel (reprime) to make sure there's no water in them. Other than that you could run the starter 10 seconds with the compression release on to get the cylinders lubed.

I wouldn't hit the engine with a power washer. You could spray engine degreaser on it and wash it off with a hose. Also check the rest of the fluids of course.

/ b7100 parts availability #4  
Keep it. I see B5100's, B6100's, and B7100's everywhere. Very good tractors. I didn't have any more trouble getting parts for my 1986 B5200 than I do for my 2002 L3710. I'm fairly certain general items like fuel tanks are interchangable for those 3 models.

/ b7100 parts availability
HI:

Thanks for the responses gentlemen!

Ok I contacted my Kubota dealer and I can get what I need if I need it.

As I stated, I have a slow battery drain issue with the machine. I located the dynamo/magneto and found the 2 grey wires. How do I know which one is for the charging circuit?

Jon

/ b7100 parts availability #6  
Both grey wires have an AC output. They run to a regulator which converts to DC to charge the battery. You could put a small test light between the battery and ground and pull off wires until the light goes out.