BX2360 and lifting logs

/ BX2360 and lifting logs #1  

sw18x

Bronze Member
Tractor
Looking
Hi all

As I've already posted elsewhere, I'm in the process of buying a BX2360 (wife conceded!:thumbsup:). We have an outdoor woodburner and get chunks/logs dropped off occasionally from a tree service. A big selling point on the BX was having the ability to lift the heavier pieces onto the splitter, saving my back for better uses. Some of these pieces are big enough for one person to handle, just very heavy, some pieces take 2, a few are too heavy for even a couple guys (maybe 300 - 350 pounds, these pieces still need to be moved around the yard though they might not end up on the splitter itself). The dealer is welding two chain hooks on the outside of the bucket (he discouraged me from having the hooks put on the top). I've been trying to plan out how I can use the FEL most efficiently for this task. So far my ideas are:

- loop a chain from one hook to the other, with the slack hanging under the bucket. Get some mombo screw in hooks (similar to the kind that screw into walls for hanging stuff), predrill the biggest logs, screw in the hooks, and lift the logs from the hook using the chain.

- run the chains across the hooks, drop the bucket in front of the log, roll the log across the rest of the chain, bring the hook ends of the chains back up across the top of the log and fasten to the chain near the top of the bucket, thus cradling the log with the chain.

- buy a set of pallet forks, roll the logs onto the forks, curl the bucket so the log rests back on the bucket and lift.

Another consideration is using the FEL to lift chunks/logs onto the back of my pickup truck, in which case I don't think I have enough lift on the FEL to do it if the log is hanging below the bucket.

What do you think? How do you guys perform similar jobs? Looking for any feedback here (except "you bought the wrong tractor for this job!")

Thanks, these forums are great to read and lots of helpful info.

/ BX2360 and lifting logs #2  
I hook a chain to the center of the bucket and hang a set of log tongs. I'll place the log onto the splitter and split it down to managable sized pieces. Takes longer, but my back appreciates it! I wouldn't waste time in putting in a screw hook, nor would I trust it. If you only have the side hooks then loop a chain from one side to the other and hang the log tongs in the middle.

/ BX2360 and lifting logs #3  
I do what RobK does as well. I use a lifting strap between the pins of my BXpanded fork mounts (forks are off) and just hook the log tongs on the doubled sling. You get a good eye for balancing the log. I use this for lifting cut logs onto my cutting pile, use the same tongs to drag logs from 3PH mount. Way to much work to screw in hooks. Just make sure the tongs dig in.

/ BX2360 and lifting logs #4  
Whatever you do, be sure to have adequate rear ballast on the 3PH.

/ BX2360 and lifting logs #5  
I would use log tongs or a choker chain.:2cents:

/ BX2360 and lifting logs #6  
I put a hydraulic lift table on the splitter. Roll the big pieces on and let the hydraulics pick them up. Useful to place smaller pieces for splitting when it is in the elevated position. Have the kids stack the smaller pieces on the table while I am splitting.

/ BX2360 and lifting logs #7  
I just this last Friday broke down and bought a tooth bar for my FEL. Looking at it, I think it would to a fine job of scooping and holding logs for transport. It would go much faster to scoop up a log with the toothbar and bucket, vs having to strap a log to the FEL. Plus having the log in the FEL would allow you to lift the log into a pick up truck bed.:thumbsup:

I think mine is a markham.

Larry

/ BX2360 and lifting logs #8  
How about a set of forks

/ BX2360 and lifting logs #10  
When I had my BX I bought a brush fork from dirtworks or ground works. It was about $180 or $200 and screwed onto my loader bucket. That was one of the best attachments I ever bought. You will be able to scoop up 3 or 4 sections of wood at a time and the loader will lift 6-8 sections a little higher than halfway up if they are not too wide.