BX, Mowing With Deck Locked at Top?

/ BX, Mowing With Deck Locked at Top? #1  

Danner

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2660
Can I run my BX2660 and 54" Fine Cut MMM with the mower locked at the "Top" position?

I sold my rotary mower to buy this, so that's not an option anymore.

I've got about 2 acres of pasture I want to bring down to finishing mower status. Right now it's about knee-high with native Texas hot weather scrub plants. Plan would be to walk the land for any really big stuff, mow with the Top position, landscape rake it real good, and then bring it down to about 3".

Thanks for your thoughts.

/ BX, Mowing With Deck Locked at Top? #2  
My first reaction is that fine cut MMMs are expensive and surely their thin blades are not designed for work more akin to brush hogging? Are you concerned? Likely so, since you are asking. Wow. I am too conservative, I guess, but I am very cautious about my RFM and I'd be just about as conservative about an MMM. I'm probably not the right guy to speculate. Maybe someone else will say, "OH Sure, have at it." :laughing::laughing:

/ BX, Mowing With Deck Locked at Top? #3  
Go for it. Won't hurt it a bit

/ BX, Mowing With Deck Locked at Top? #4  
I am not familiar with texas grasses, but around here I wouldn't use my MMM to mow a field of tall grasses. mowing in top lock position shouldn't/wouldn't hurt it. Will BX deck handle mowing couple acres one time to get it down to manageable hieght? I am pretty sure it can, but its the hitting unknown objects that will have you kicking yourself. ;)

/ BX, Mowing With Deck Locked at Top? #5  
I've done that on high grass...Don't try to mow down saplings that way or you might regret it. Then again, the MMM's are pretty robust.

I'm somewhat careful with mine. At $2500 for the deck I have to be :D

/ BX, Mowing With Deck Locked at Top? #6  
I've got about 2 acres of pasture I want to bring down to finishing mower status. Right now it's about knee-high with native Texas hot weather scrub plants. .
Get a guy with a slasher tractor
to run over it ...... $100 ? As for mowing in top-lock , the deckdrive
propshaft is very close to the frame/wire-conduits in that setting ; you
can raise it somewhere inbetween , without toplocking it . I've just watched
my neighbour trying to slash-down 1.5 acres of the same , with a Toro
zero kawasaki. He's going to wreck that machine , and is already on a
new engine ! Horses for courses .......

/ BX, Mowing With Deck Locked at Top? #7  
i ASKED MY SALESMAN this same question and was told it would be fine on my bx-23 60"mmm to use at highest position and it worked fine on about 2 acres. Of course I knew there were no hidden "treasures" in grass and after first pass on did about 1/2 width to keep my ground/blade speed up recut at about 1/2 height few days later when grass had dried out some. Used reg blades now have gator blades on so think it would chop even better but havn't let it get out of control since then.

YMMV Pat

/ BX, Mowing With Deck Locked at Top? #8  
My tall fescue grows rapidly in the late winter and early spring. It is still rainy season, too wet to cut, and I just have to let the stuff grow tall until the rain stops and everything dries out. My first cut of the year is always at max. lift height. After that, I start bringing it down about 3/4 inch at a time until I hit the 4.0 on the dial, from there I do 3.5, then 3.0 and stay there for the rest of the season. I have a 60" deck with mulch kit on a BX2200. I pull and sharpen the blades myself each spring.

/ BX, Mowing With Deck Locked at Top? #9  
Been using our BX 54" MMM like that for 6 years now with no apparent ill effects. However, we only have a very limited need for doing so when mowing a small bank where the deck would scalp if it were lowered. Otherwise, it mows everything else at 4"

/ BX, Mowing With Deck Locked at Top?
Been using our BX 54" MMM like that for 6 years now with no apparent ill effects. However, we only have a very limited need for doing so when mowing a small bank where the deck would scalp if it were lowered. Otherwise, it mows everything else at 4"

Thanks you, that is what I needed to know.