BX-22: Pasture Mowing with Belly Mower

/ BX-22: Pasture Mowing with Belly Mower #11  
So anyway, thanks for making the point Roy, but both of us are using windrowing in a metaphorical sense, not the original literal meaning.

Wasn't metaphorical at at...in the context used in the tractor/mowing world, the definition I wrote was the most applicable to the topic.
I didn't pull it from memory...looked it up before I wrote that previous post.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/windrow

Last edited:
   / BX-22: Pasture Mowing with Belly Mower #12  
Patience; after the second or third cut all will be well.:thumbsup:

Keep a close eye on the radiator getting plugged and maybe only try a half swath at slow speed for the first cut. :)

/ BX-22: Pasture Mowing with Belly Mower #13  
I put my R4 tires on instead of the wider turf tires. Even when using a bush hog you see where your tires pressed down the grass! In a couple days after mowing its gone.

/ BX-22: Pasture Mowing with Belly Mower #14  
Wasn't metaphorical at at...in the context used in the tractor/mowing world, the definition I wrote was the most applicable to the topic.
I didn't pull it from memory...looked it up before I wrote that previous post.

Windrow - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

You are correct that it is the most applicable in the agricultural world, but it's still metaphorical because the rows of which you speak are not literally rows created by the wind. A metaphor is a figure of speech that compares two things by calling one thing or concept by the name of another thing or concept of reference. The origin of the term has to do with rows created by wind. Drying rows of hay waiting to be bailed look similar to that, so the term came to be applied to them. That meaning, as you say, has become the predominant meaning. Nevertheless, the context in which the word is being used is still metaphorical in origin.

An analogy is a cockpit. The first thought that comes into most people's head is the place where the pilot of a plane sits. The origin of the word, however, comes from a pit in which cock fights were held. The term later was applied to the place where pilots sit, due to the similarities. Though the airplane related meaning is now the predominant meaning, that meaning still has a metaphorical origin.

The literal original meaning of windrow is a row of vegiatative material created by wind. Rows of vegitative material that look similar are also referred to as windrows. All of those other meanings have a metaphorical origin. The current predominant meaning referrs to hay waiting to be bailed. The term is also applied to rows of tall grass that have been mashed down by tractor wheels.

/ BX-22: Pasture Mowing with Belly Mower #15  
You are correct that it is the most applicable in the agricultural world...

Uh huh...we're discussing mowing a pasture

Now that the definition is clear, more or less...shall we return to the topic?

/ BX-22: Pasture Mowing with Belly Mower #16  
An analogy is a cockpit. The first thought that comes into most people's head is the place where the pilot of a plane sits.

Don't be to sure of that!:D

/ BX-22: Pasture Mowing with Belly Mower #18  
Uh huh...we're discussing mowing a pasture

Now that the definition is clear, more or less...shall we return to the topic?

I already replied to this once. I don't know if it was deleted or just didn't post.

Roy, I really am not trying to have a fight with you. As far as returning to the topic, you opened this discussion. As far as mowing a pasture, the OP did not say he was harvesting hay. He basically said he wanted to give the field a crewcut, a manicured look at an elevated height. I think more members on TBN use the term windrowing to mean grass knocked down by tractor tires than use it to refer to harvested drying hay, and I think that is true because more TBN members use their tractors for estate purposes than use them for ag purposes. It's a word that gets used by an awful lot of people on this board in more ways than one. I do not see why that's a problem to you if I use it that same way.

Moderators, I don't know if you deleted my previous post that said pretty much the same thing. If you did, could you PM me and explain what was inappropriate, please, because a whole lot of things stronger than I've put here is allowed to stand.

/ BX-22: Pasture Mowing with Belly Mower #19  
High lift blades will help when trying to cut grass high. Also a pusher or front mower helps.

Years ago there was a company that actually made an attachment to go on mower blades to effectively suck/raise the grass up into the blade. Darn thing roared like a helicopter and was eventually abondoned due to launching those pieces after the rivets wore. Mowed pretty well, but was better at launching missles.

/ BX-22: Pasture Mowing with Belly Mower #20  
I already replied to this once. I don't know if it was deleted or just didn't post.

Roy, I really am not trying to have a fight with you. As far as returning to the topic, you opened this discussion. As far as mowing a pasture, the OP did not say he was harvesting hay. He basically said he wanted to give the field a crewcut, a manicured look at an elevated height. I think more members on TBN use the term windrowing to mean grass knocked down by tractor tires than use it to refer to harvested drying hay, and I think that is true because more TBN members use their tractors for estate purposes than use them for ag purposes. It's a word that gets used by an awful lot of people on this board in more ways than one. I do not see why that's a problem to you if I use it that same way.

Well, gotta disagree with you...usage of the term I've seen on TBN for the last 10 years was the grass left on the lawn by a side discharge mower...I can't even see how the grasses compressed by the tractor tires would come close to the definition. Is this "Ag use"? No, but the same results (rows of mowed debris parallel to the path of the mower) . There just isn't any harvesting of the grasses.
Maybe we just haven't read the same threads...

Anyway, we've taken this as far as it should be taken and have gone off topic.