B7800 won't run and has no power

/ B7800 won't run and has no power #1  

iamhistory

Tractor
Kioti NX5010, Kubota B7800, International-560 gas, John Deere 2155
Ok fellas......I need a hand if you wouldn't mind.

I have a 4 year old B7800 with about 350 hours on it. It has been a great machine and I have taken care of it. Yesterday I started it up, it ran for about 15 minutes just like normal. I was trying to scoop some dirt to put in a raised garden bed and the power started to go away, the idle went way down and I couldn't even make it back to the garage.

Previous to yesterday, it ran fine with no problems or even a hint of this behavior. Today it would hardly start up. I cleaned the fuel filter, checked the lines, cleaned the air cleaner, etc. and again it ran fine for about 15 minutes, good power just like everyday normal running. I actually dug in the dirt, got a scoop and dumped it. Went back for a second and the engine started conking out again. There is no power, it idles high and low, high and low but not enough power to run the tractor and eventually it stalls out. It is hard to start and if it does start and the engine builds up any sort of idle, it is rough and puts out a lot of white smoke.

I don't expect my fuel to be bad, it is not old and I have power diesel added to it. Unless someone tampered with it (odds are small) or there is something else like a injector nozzle problem I wouldn't know what else it could be.......I don't have the expertise to narrow it down. Can you guys help me out?

I took two videos of the engine running in case anyone would like to see them to hear the engine and see the smoke.

/ B7800 won't run and has no power #2  
My fist suggestion is...... simple stuff first.

I would change the fuel filter instead of just cleaning it. Then I would check the fuel where it comes out of the tank. I've seen strange things happen to cause fuel starvation. Sometimes a couple strans of grass or hay got in there and partially plugged the outlet from the tank. Also... I've seen condensation cause an algae buildup in a fuel tank also...... creating a situation just like yours.

/ B7800 won't run and has no power #3  
B7800, woe is me.

Ok fellas......I need a hand if you wouldn't mind.

I have a 4 year old B7800 with about 350 hours on it. It has been a great machine and I have taken care of it. Yesterday I started it up, it ran for about 15 minutes just like normal. I was trying to scoop some dirt to put in a raised garden bed and the power started to go away, the idle went way down and I couldn't even make it back to the garage.

Previous to yesterday, it ran fine with no problems or even a hint of this behavior. Today it would hardly start up. I cleaned the fuel filter, checked the lines, cleaned the air cleaner, etc. and again it ran fine for about 15 minutes, good power just like everyday normal running. I actually dug in the dirt, got a scoop and dumped it. Went back for a second and the engine started conking out again. There is no power, it idles high and low, high and low but not enough power to run the tractor and eventually it stalls out. It is hard to start and if it does start and the engine builds up any sort of idle, it is rough and puts out a lot of white smoke.

I don't expect my fuel to be bad, it is not old and I have power diesel added to it. Unless someone tampered with it (odds are small) or there is something else like a injector nozzle problem I wouldn't know what else it could be.......I don't have the expertise to narrow it down. Can you guys help me out?

I took two videos of the engine running in case anyone would like to see them to hear the engine and see the smoke.

I am with Ductape about this problem; change the fuel filter and check the fuel draining out of the line you could have a forest of fungi living there and clogging things up.

Whats happened most likely is that the crud in ther bottom of the tank has broken loose and as the tractor moves back and forth it gets sucked into the inlet screen in the bottom of the tank or pulled into the top suction line if its has that set up.

You may end up just chucking the fuel and removing the tank and tossing some pebbles in the tank with some kerosene or water to break the junk loose in the bottom of the tank to get rid of it.

Your engine is not that old that you have to worry about injection nozzle problems for sure
Do not hesitate to upload a video or two of it running

/ B7800 won't run and has no power #4  
Throw the old fuel filter away and install a new one. If that fails to cure if (unlikely) check the mechanical fuel pump.

/ B7800 won't run and has no power
Was about to put a new air filter on anyway.......so I'll just replace both. Am gonna empty the tank also and take a look.

We'll see what happens then.

Thanks for the input guys. I started with the simple stuff and figured it would be something small. I was afraid it wasn't but you have put my mind at ease.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Update FYI:

I installed a new air cleaner and new fuel filter. I checked the lines for blockages and didn't find any that were apparent. I drained the tank to try and get a look for debris. I couldn't see anything but it was pretty hard trying to look inside with a light. I blew out the air dam in case it was blocked...it wasn't.

Still not fixed. I ran the tractor today first thing and it ran like brand new. I used the belly mower a little, moved dirt, etc. After about ten minutes.....as has been the case, it starts acting up and I have to limp it back to the garage. Then it barely starts and will pretty much only idle. No power at all.

I only have 347.9 hours on this thing and this just happened out of nowhere. I'm puzzled.

Forgot to add........

It does the same thing with the cap on tight, loose or off. The tank doesn't appear to be collapsing. When I drained the tank the fuel flowed very well out of the line.

/ B7800 won't run and has no power #8  
After you valiant efforts I have come to the conclusion
that the suction line is collapsing and this is the problem.

I will suggest that you purchase a ten foot length of Racor
diesel fuel replacement fuel line it is a reinforced fuel hose
that will not collapse on you.

As the diesel fuel supply heats up as it is passing through the
injection pump and the overflow return back to tank through the
hoses heat up and therefore become much more pliable and the
pressure gradient created by the suction side of the injection pump adds
to the heat and make the fuel hoses much more flexible and pliable
allowing it to collapse simply from the act of the injection pump doing
its job of moving(sucking) fuel.

I would be sure that you have ordered enough fuel for both lines as they
should have reinforced fuel lines to begin with.

It is a much less costly alternative than a new injection pump which you are not in need of in my opinion.

Edit: You can purchase the Racor replacement fuel hose directly from www.Maesco.com
They are are great bunch of folks and very pleasant to deal with and in my case I
recieved my fuel filter unit in 3 days after I placed the order with them.

Last edited:
   / B7800 won't run and has no power #9  
Check for air leaks in the fuel system. If it sucks air it will lose power. If it is sucking air its probably leaking fuel from the the same place while sitting idle. One little leak won't hurt much. Several little leaks will hurt a bunch.

/ B7800 won't run and has no power #10  
Have you checked the mechanical pump? It certainly sounds like a fuel starvation problem.