Oil Pressure light came on

/ Oil Pressure light came on #1  

lzicc

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B2650
I did my 50 hour maintenance at around 53 hours. Changed the oil/filter, etc. I have put about 5 hours on the machine since then and last night the oil light came on out of the blue when I was using it, so I shut the machine down and checked the oil. The dipstick said it was full. Turned the machine on and after 30 seconds the light came back on. Not sure what to look for here, but I am very concerned. The Kubota book said if that happens, to see if it stays on if I rev up to over 1000 rpms. Didn't try that yet, it got to late so I parked it for the night. It's never come on before so that concerns me. Any ideas? Bad sensor, pump?

If I remember correctly, when I drove it over to my garage to put it away, the light went off on it's own.

It's a L3800.

/ Oil Pressure light came on #2  
I did my 50 hour maintenance at around 53 hours. Changed the oil/filter, etc. I have put about 5 hours on the machine since then and last night the oil light came on out of the blue when I was using it, so I shut the machine down and checked the oil. The dipstick said it was full. Turned the machine on and after 30 seconds the light came back on. Not sure what to look for here, but I am very concerned. The Kubota book said if that happens, to see if it stays on if I rev up to over 1000 rpms. Didn't try that yet, it got to late so I parked it for the night. It's never come on before so that concerns me. Any ideas? Bad sensor, pump?

If I remember correctly, when I drove it over to my garage to put it away, the light went off on it's own.

It's a L3800.

You might a bad sensor or have crap/weeds shorting the sensor wiring out intermittantly at the sensor connections or the sensor could have some oil sludge on it possibly.

Those are my thoughts on this anyway as its too young for a bad oil pump it I think.

/ Oil Pressure light came on #3  

It's a L3800.

I you have an "idiot light" in lieu of analog pressure gauge then the sending unit is a normally closed switch by the action of sensor spring. When you put the key in ignition and and the oil light illuminates then it shows the circuit to sender is available and working. Immediately upon engine start the oil pressure works against the sender spring and opens up the contact an the oil light goes out. You can check the sensor pretty easy by a test light or testing for continuity against the block. You might have a bit of a lose connection or a bad sensor. You should test the sensor with the engine off (contact closed) and with the engine on (contact open). At 53 hrs, I seriously doubt you have an issue with the oil pump... you either have a lose connection (unlikely) or a bad sensor (a bit more likely).

JC,

/ Oil Pressure light came on #4  
I pretty much agree with the above ideas. The only other thought I have is did you put the right oil filter on? Is it a defective oil filter?

/ Oil Pressure light came on #5  
I am with Dodge Man on checking for the proper oil filter. I checked my owners manual and on my tractor model Kubota says to use only genuine Kubota filters to prevent serious engine damage. If you already are using Kubota filters then please disregard this post.

/ Oil Pressure light came on #6  
And oil level!
I ruined a gas motor once with too much oil, about an hour later.
It might just take a while to heat it up and expand to where the crank could foam it up, and then the oil and entrained bubbles would not hold pressure.
Problems coming up right after a service is a big clue!

/ Oil Pressure light came on
The oil filter is from Kubota and I checked the part number, so it is correct. Now after sitting all night I checked the oil again and it is still full. I ran the tractor for a few hours today and the light never came on. Very strange and a little scary. I don't want to ruin a motor. :confused:

/ Oil Pressure light came on #8  
The oil filter is from Kubota and I checked the part number, so it is correct. Now after sitting all night I checked the oil again and it is still full. I ran the tractor for a few hours today and the light never came on. Very strange and a little scary. I don't want to ruin a motor. :confused:

what separates the contact points and the springf in the sender is a diaphragm. On mine the sender gave me inaccurate random reading as I melted part of diagram to do some advanced mod to my "idiot Light" :eek::eek: The reading became unreliable and I ended up buying a replacement sending unit. Did you check the wiring? did you test the sensor? I give more chance to the sending unit becoming defective.

jc