L3400 won't start -- interlocks, other look-here's?

/ L3400 won't start -- interlocks, other look-here's? #1  

turkish

We went to crank the tractor for the first time in 3-4 months today and got no response. The machine is a gear-tranny and PTO was disengaged, all gears in neutral. Being in a hurry, we pulled the battery and headed back home (50 miles) almost immediately, just assuming it was dead. Well the battery checked out fine, so we'll be headed back Saturday to troubleshoot more. I'm pretty sure there were no dash lights or anything (Dad was sitting in the seat while I watched the headlights for signs of life).

What should we rule out as simple causes before we start looking for chewed wires? There was quite a bit of mouse/chipmunk sign in the battery tray. Exactly what interlocks are there? The seat switch (had trouble with it before) only affects ignition and not headlights, etc., right?

/ L3400 won't start -- interlocks, other look-here's? #2  
We went to crank the tractor for the first time in 3-4 months today and got no response. The machine is a gear-tranny and PTO was disengaged, all gears in neutral. Being in a hurry, we pulled the battery and headed back home (50 miles) almost immediately, just assuming it was dead. Well the battery checked out fine, so we'll be headed back Saturday to troubleshoot more. I'm pretty sure there were no dash lights or anything (Dad was sitting in the seat while I watched the headlights for signs of life).

What should we rule out as simple causes before we start looking for chewed wires? There was quite a bit of mouse/chipmunk sign in the battery tray. Exactly what interlocks are there? The seat switch (had trouble with it before) only affects ignition and not headlights, etc., right?

I wouldnt rule out battery/connections just yet.

You say you get NOTHING when the key is turned. No headlights, no dash lights, etc. Well, at first glance, you are not getting power TO the key switch. So that is a place to start. It could be a chewed wire, or simply a bad connection at the battery, ground, or keyswitch.

BUT, before you start there, try clicking the flashers on. If I remember right, they are on a seperate circuit. They dont go through the keyswitch. So if those work, you knwo your battery connections are good. If they dont, I would look at the battery/connections and main gound again.

But again, I cant remember. I could be way off base, but it is still something simple to check anyway.

/ L3400 won't start -- interlocks, other look-here's?
Good info. The bit about the flashers is a great tip.

/ L3400 won't start -- interlocks, other look-here's? #4  
Was the seat down? There is a switch on it. I wire tied mine down because I couldn't even lean over in the seat without killing the engine. It is on the left side under the seat.

Was the seat down? There is a switch on it. I wire tied mine down because I couldn't even lean over in the seat without killing the engine. It is on the left side under the seat.
Yes, he was sitting in the seat.

/ L3400 won't start -- interlocks, other look-here's? #7  
check that no nest was built under the seat preventing contact.I i had that once)..also is there a main fuse like on other brand tractors. my JD & Kioti have a main 60-70 amp breaker near the starter

/ L3400 won't start -- interlocks, other look-here's? #8  
On my L2500 there is a neutral safety switch on the high-low range selector that got me when I first got it. It was quite touchy .

/ L3400 won't start -- interlocks, other look-here's? #9  

Good info. The bit about the flashers is a great tip.

So have you tried the flashers yet???