Oil & Fuel My BX2200 is Barfing parts

/ My BX2200 is Barfing parts #1  

sblackb

Just picked up a used BX2200d w/FEL and 1200 hours on it this winter for $6600 and the only maintenance I didn't do right away was the hydraulic fluid/filter change. Tonight when I dropped the oil from the HST, three 1/4 inch bearing fell out with the oil. As you can imagine, so did my stomach. Screen had some metal on it, but not full. Any ideas what I'm in for and possibly what it might be?

Thanks,

Scott

/ My BX2200 is Barfing parts #2  
I have no idea what those are from, but I feel for you. Ugh. What a sick feeling.

/ My BX2200 is Barfing parts
I should probably add that all has been working fine up to the oil change. The HST seemed louder than normal last time I was using it, but I always think the HST is loud. Wonder if I should park or wait for a full failure?

/ My BX2200 is Barfing parts #4  
I should probably add that all has been working fine up to the oil change. The HST seemed louder than normal last time I was using it, but I always think the HST is loud. Wonder if I should park or wait for a full failure?

I would say park it has you have not had a catastrophic failure. I would get a lot more expensive if it really piles up inside.:(

/ My BX2200 is Barfing parts #5  
Some of the guys here have found simply replacing the trans is quicker and just as cheap as splitting it and working all the parts over. Something to think about. $1500 is the number most often mentioned.

/ My BX2200 is Barfing parts #6  
Any chance they were "leftover" trashed parts & chips from a previous repair? I have had a devil of a time finding small parts after a fumble when doing an overhaul.

Well, so far the only repairs I've done is filters, fluids and a flat. so it's possible that the previous owner dropped em, but he said he had done no major repairs.

If the trans is shot, does anyone know of a place to buy rebuilts that might be cheaper that Kubota? What about internal parts?

Looking at the exploded drawing of the trans, it looks like these could have come from one of seven bearing assemblies in the system. Can the trans be pulled from the rear or is a split really needed? Is the trans a DIY project at all?

Quick update:

Ran into the Kubota dealer to get another gallon of S-UTD and showed the parts guy the parts. He had seen nothing like it and said that service would need to check it out. Said there was no "replacement HST" option, rather, all the parts are sold separate. Ugg.

The interesting thing is after the fluid was up to the correct level, I tested out the tractor a bit more. Forward and reverse in 2wd is great. Smooth, and pretty quiet compared to before. Makes me wonder what fluid was in it. PTO and, hydraulics, and power steering all worked as normal. The interesting part is that when I put it in 4wd, there is a definite vibration and sort of a grinding, but not loud. I'm thinking it's somewhere in that side of the HST that I have an issue. There are three bearing assemblies that appear to be on the 4wd shaft.

/ My BX2200 is Barfing parts #9  
Quick update:

Said there was no "replacement HST" option, rather, all the parts are sold separate. Ugg.

That doesn't sound right, I would call a different dealer and ask them. I would not run the unit if at all possible to prevent collateral damage to something else. Keep the damage to a minimum if possible. That is just my opinion. If a new tranny is only $1500, that is pretty reasonable. Good luck.

/ My BX2200 is Barfing parts #10  
I'm thinking it's somewhere in that side of the HST that I have an issue. There are three bearing assemblies that appear to be on the 4wd shaft.

Noise/vibration there tends to confirm, but might want to test mid/rear pto function just to be thorough...