L45 vs M59 - or skidsteer

/ L45 vs M59 - or skidsteer #1  

lhansman

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L45
I like the size of my B26 but I am finding that it just doesn't lift quite enough when I am on a job site. I need to be able to pick up a loaded skid of block or other material and they are typically around 2,000 pounds. As a result I have been considering upgrading to an L45.

The other thing I have decided is that I do not want to freeze in the winter anymore so I want to get a good cab. I have decided that when I do it, I will get the Laurin cab for either the B26 (if I decide not to upgrade) or the L45.

Adding the Laurin cab with heat and A/C seems to be in the $10,000 - $12,000 range no matter the machine. Therefore assuming a $25,000 trade-in for my B26 I am probably looking at an additional $30,000 to step up to the L45 with a cab.

As I was wrestling with this dilemma, I found a used M59 with less than 500 hours and a Laurin cab already installed on it for $57,000. Looking at the specs, the M59 is not a lot heavier or larger than an L45 so I am interested in hearing from those of you who looked at both and purchased one or the other your reasons for choosing one over the other. In my case the dollar difference is about the same so I am looking for functional advantages as opposed to cost ones.

The other thought I am considering is that I do not do a lot of backhoe work in the winter time anyway so maybe I should consider a used tracked skid steer in the $30,000 range that can lift a ton or more and would have a heated cab for work on the job site. This would allow me to leave the B26 at home for winter snow removal (without a cab).

I would appreciate any insight you folks can provide to assist me in making this decision.

/ L45 vs M59 - or skidsteer #2  
Big jump in size going from B26 to M59. Wider, longer, heavier lots more power, however. You say you like the size of the B26 so you need to think about why that is. You have a lot more maneuverability with the B26 in tight quarters than you would with an M59 and that M59 will be more than twice the weight of your B26. If you have to run your tractor across an existing yard, that could be a problem with the M59. If you do work in tight quarters, note that the turning radius on the L45 is worse than both your B26 and the M59.

/ L45 vs M59 - or skidsteer #3  
You better go look at that M59 in person. It is darn close to a full-size backhoe in "real life".

I own an L39 and I LOVE it. I bought it off my buddy who does pretty much what you do. He is a landscraper and does snow removal in the winter.

He replaced it with an L45. You just can't beat the L39/L45 series from Kubota for being the perfect size. My machine will pick up skids of block off the deckover trailer and move them around.

One thing I did notice: 5 years of moving salt in the winter was havoc on the bucket. Paint the inside of the bucket EVERY fall before winter.

A skid steer is faster at just about all "loader" tasks, but it simply doesn't dig.

My buddy considered replacing the L39 with a skid steer/mini excavator combo. We discussed it at length. The big problem? If you need to dig AND move material at a jobsite, you need 2 machines. The bigger problem? 2 machines require 2 crews, 2 trucks, 2 trailers, twice the fuel, twice the tolls...etc.

ac

/ L45 vs M59 - or skidsteer #4  
Can you move the added weight of the L45 or M59 with your existing truck & trailer?

/ L45 vs M59 - or skidsteer
I forgot to mention that I do have a truck and trailer that could move either the L45 or the M59 so that is not a problem.

/ L45 vs M59 - or skidsteer #6  
If money is a factor, I think you'll be very hard pressed to get 25k on a trade for your used b26. My vote is for a used track machine.

/ L45 vs M59 - or skidsteer #7  
I have never used a hoe on a skidsteer, so can not comment on that. But, I have spent some hours on 40 up to 56 or so hp skidsteers and tracked loaders. I can totally out dig the L35's I have rented and my TC 40 ect, using the SS/CTL loader.

And, I really like the L35TLB's I have rented, and my NH TC40D(no backhoe...).

I have found SS and CTL's more expensive though, and the hydraulic attachments much more expensive than 3PT. I would note that I have been able to rent clamshell buckets, breakers, trenchers when using SS and CTL's; regional Bobcat dealer rents all kinds of attachments.... Never seen rental attachments for CUT's.

A skid steer is faster at just about all "loader" tasks, but it simply doesn't dig.

/ L45 vs M59 - or skidsteer #8  
I have never used a hoe on a skidsteer, so can not comment on that. But, I have spent some hours on 40 up to 56 or so hp skidsteers and tracked loaders. I can totally out dig the L35's I have rented and my TC 40 ect, using the SS/CTL loader.

And, I really like the L35TLB's I have rented, and my NH TC40D(no backhoe...).

I have found SS and CTL's more expensive though, and the hydraulic attachments much more expensive than 3PT. I would note that I have been able to rent clamshell buckets, breakers, trenchers when using SS and CTL's; regional Bobcat dealer rents all kinds of attachments.... Never seen rental attachments for CUT's.

I guess when I said "dig", I meant trenches and trees and stuff like that. I realize you can "dig" with an FEL.

My local rentals, all 3, rent SS attachments and 3-point attachments.

ac

/ L45 vs M59 - or skidsteer #9  
If money is a factor, I think you'll be very hard pressed to get 25k on a trade for your used b26. My vote is for a used track machine.
We have to remember the OP is in Canada and prices are higher there even though their dollar is about equal to the US dollar these days.Makes price comparisions for those of us in the states difficult.

/ L45 vs M59 - or skidsteer #10  
I have ever dug with a hoe on SS or CTL. What are the differences you have seen digging with say an L39 vs a 40HP SS/CTL(similar HP machines)?

Around here(greater extended Sacramento region), you can rent 3pt equipment like a rotary mower, but they rent you their tractor with it...I've asked at dealers and rental places, but they say no, and and have no referrals.

I guess when I said "dig", I meant trenches and trees and stuff like that. I realize you can "dig" with an FEL.

My local rentals, all 3, rent SS attachments and 3-point attachments.

ac