B2320 Back wheel started to fall off @ 22 hr's

/ B2320 Back wheel started to fall off @ 22 hr's #1  

mswlogo

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B2320 DT (Gear)
My tractor is almost 2 years old (in two weeks).

It does not get a lot of hours. About 1-2hrs a weekend in the summer. Mostly BoxBlade work.

I was putting it away and I stopped to move something and notice I could see daylight through a hole in the rear hub.

One of the studs fell out. And all others were loose. I also noticed one lug was on backwards (bevel out).

I think the one on backwards (and possibly the one that fell out) cause to to never be full seated properly.

I notice the manual does say to check lugs every 50hr's. It only has 22 hr's but it is almost 2 years old.

Was this my fault or do think it should get covered with issue.

RIM Is junk, all holes are over sized and not round. Studs are hour glass shaped and lugs are a mess.

Shaft/Hub looks fine.

/ B2320 Back wheel started to fall off @ 22 hr's #2  
That is our responsibility to keep them tight. Yep, bummer
Surprised you didn't notice the wobble of the tire but then with the fenders we have nowadays it is difficult to even see if a tire is spinning.
Check with your dealer and hope he can help you with a solution.

/ B2320 Back wheel started to fall off @ 22 hr's #3  
Did I understand correctly that your tractor only has 22 hours on it? If that is the case my guess is that the wheel bolts were not tightened at all when you took delivery of the tractor or you took off the rear wheel and forgot to tighten it again. I would wager NO money on the bolts working loose from recommended tightness (torque) in 22 hrs.

So. If it only has 22 hrs then why would you have taken off the wheel ... may be you have not?
That leaves the other possibility much more likely in my mind.

/ B2320 Back wheel started to fall off @ 22 hr's #4  
Call the dealer you bought the tractor from and tell him what happened. If he's a good dealer he'll take care of you, my guess it's the dealer's fault from when he assembled the tractor. I would hint that if he expected to sell me a new tractor when I got ready to replace my current tractor (even if I had no plans) he should step up to the plate and help me (since it's still under warranty).

If he doesn't do anything for you I would get some thread locker and put it on the studs. I would try the wheel out for an hour and see if it loosens up, even though the holes may be bad it could still be useable.

/ B2320 Back wheel started to fall off @ 22 hr's #5  
..even though the holes may be bad it could still be useable.

:) At an average of less than 1 hour a month for two years, it is time to trade this one in anyway. ;)

/ B2320 Back wheel started to fall off @ 22 hr's
They are fighting it saying it's my fault for not noticing it.

I agree they were not put on right and the one(s) on backwards were obviously wrong.

For the record it's MB Tractor and KUBOTA saying it's my fault and I should check for anything loose every time I drive it.

I bitched and they are looking into it.

I bought two tractors from them.

Never a service call for anything all 4 years dealing with them.

I should not even have to fight for this.

It very load and bump dragging a box blade. Or other duties are driving on sand it's hard to notice it was loose. I always have ear protection on too. I probably would have noticed if I was on smooth pavement. But by the time you felt it really buggers up the studs and wholes.

They are lucky the wheel didn't fall off going down steep hill near my property. They are also lucky I notcied it as soon as did and it didn't damage the shaft/hub.

We are talking what, $100.00 for rim Retail.

/ B2320 Back wheel started to fall off @ 22 hr's #7  
Bummer. It sounds like the dealership will come through for you, hopefully. Unless you took the wheel off yourself, that shouldn't have happened. I don't know why those nuts aren't locktited from the factory. If the dealer doesn't come through for you, it is probably a cheap lesson.
I had a similar thing happen with my Deere. I noticed a loose wheel when the studs worked out about 3/8" as I walked past the tractor. I needed all new studs and had to re-tap a few of the holes. I was really powering the tractor pushing trees over and digging with the bucket with a big weight-box on it. I would think a box blade would be torquing the wheel similar to that, almost. I noticed it loose at 30 hours or so but the rim was still usable, but the holes were rounded. I put on bigger headed studs and locktited everything down, and torqued them to spec and then a little extra for good measure.
What I do now, I keep a torque wrench and crescent wrenches real handy. I consciously check for loose fittings, lug-nuts, caps, leaks or whatever as I drive or as I walk past the tractor. Anything that looks unusual I check out.

/ B2320 Back wheel started to fall off @ 22 hr's #8  
My dealer said the same thing about a loose fitting. Check every bolt and fitting before using. So I need to spend 2-3 hours checking the nuts bolts and fittings to make sure they are tight before mowing or clearing the driveway during snow season. Just doesn't seem right. Oh and in my case the leak I am refering to was coming from the manifold block for the loader control vavle which is under the battery compartment.

/ B2320 Back wheel started to fall off @ 22 hr's #9  
What should seal the deal here is that one of the lugs was on backwards. That is a clear defect in workmanship that they cannot prove did not lead to the premature loosening of all the lugs and ruining of the wheel (if it is in fact ruined). I would make that argument even if it was after 30 hours. I have no idea, but I bet that rim is wheel more than $100.

/ B2320 Back wheel started to fall off @ 22 hr's #10  
2 years later I would say you are probably on your own.