L4240 3PT hitch arms will not go down

/ L4240 3PT hitch arms will not go down #1  

Browns329

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L4240, HST, LA854 Loader with QA bucket
The 3-point hitch arms on my L4240 will not go down. Looking inside the fender, it appears that the handle/linkage is operating properly. When I raise the lever all the way up, the arms sometimes "bounce up" a little bit.

I have not used the 3PH for a few months and just put a post-hole digger on it. I put the lever all the way down and drove the machine around, but it still did not drop. I think the machine is still under warranty, but I did not want to bring it to the dealer if it is something stupid.

Any ideas?

/ L4240 3PT hitch arms will not go down #2  
Fast / Slow / Lock knob in the lock position?

/ L4240 3PT hitch arms will not go down #3  
I am guessing you have made sure it is not in the "lock" "transport" position. There should be reference in your manual, I don't use mine. My 8540 has this, but I have never used it.

/ L4240 3PT hitch arms will not go down
I will check, but I believe the lock is on the lower right hand side under the 3PH control and it is not locked. Doesn't that lock out the FEL hydraulics also? The FEL is working fine.

However, caspar said "fast/slow/lock knob"...maybe I am looking at the wrong lock.

/ L4240 3PT hitch arms will not go down #6  
I will check, but I believe the lock is on the lower right hand side under the 3PH control and it is not locked. Doesn't that lock out the FEL hydraulics also? The FEL is working fine.

However, caspar said "fast/slow/lock knob"...maybe I am looking at the wrong lock.

IIRC that knob, located behind your right heel, (ie below the right side of your seat) is your 3PH speed control ... along with a stop, or lock, if tightened all the way. Maybe somebody spun it shut for you :) (a kid?) ... or maybe your shoe caught it & spun it shut.

IIRC that knob, located behind your right heel, (ie below the right side of your seat) is your 3PH speed control ... along with a stop, or lock, if tightened all the way. Maybe somebody spun it shut for you :) (a kid?) ... or maybe your shoe caught it & spun it shut.

Thanks, I bet that is it. I never played with that knob, but it probably got tightened by accident (...hopefully). I will check and post back later.

Yep, that was it! I thought there was a knob behind my right heel, but there is not. There is a "lock/unlock" lever under the seat on the right that locks the loader hydraulics. Then there is a knob marked "open/closed" right in the center under the seat that only turns about 1/4 turn, and that was turned to closed. I turned it to open and it worked fine!

I'm glad you guys could help before I took it to the dealer...I would have really felt stupid! (Of course I probably would have checked the Owners Manual first.)

/ L4240 3PT hitch arms will not go down #9  
several years ago now, I was using my new chainsaw with chainbrake. Set it down. Must have it the chain brake when I set it down. I started it and then tried to use saw. Chain would not turn, rev it up, no go. :mad: I did not have a clue... I asked wife to take it to dealer the following Monday. She called me at work and said dealer fixed it 'He released chain brake'. :eek:
Kinda glad I was not the one that walked in with it. :ashamed:

/ L4240 3PT hitch arms will not go down #10  
several years ago now, I was using my new chainsaw with chainbrake. Set it down. Must have it the chain brake when I set it down. I started it and then tried to use saw. Chain would not turn, rev it up, no go. :mad: I did not have a clue... I asked wife to take it to dealer the following Monday. She called me at work and said dealer fixed it 'He released chain brake'. :eek:
Kinda glad I was not the one that walked in with it. :ashamed:

On a related note ... good to know your chainbrake works :thumbsup: :laughing: