BX25 vs B2626 with backhoe

/ BX25 vs B2626 with backhoe #1  

Scooby074

Tractor
BX 25, ZD 326
Been thinking about a BX.. Started a thread discussing it here http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-buying-pricing/194897-what-can-bx25-do-bushog.htmlbut the more i read the more i wonder about a b2620. I guess this thread would be best to discuss what benefits if any for a B2620 (or a B2320) over a BX25 as it was determined in the other thread that a BX should be able to do what i want?

First, you should know the condensed version of what its going to do:

This machine is going to spend 90% of its life mowing lawns. Area to be mowed will be approx 2-3 acres, some with a pretty good slope.

Other jobs planned are removing a lawn and landscaping some heavy clay soil to redirect water away from the house. Part of this will be removing about 6" of clay topsoil as the grade is too high. This will be over an area of approx 20'x60' or so

THere will be ongoing maintenance on approx 500' of gravel drive. Including crowning.

Also several ditches need maintaining and various french drains need o be installed.

One last job is bush-hogging an established road and reclaiming some fields. Typically 1-2.5" dia alders.

Can a BX do this or am i wasting my time? How are the taller B's for mowing, especially on slopes?

The more i read, the more i think. Im second guessing myself big time. I already made one mistake, last year i bought a x540.. Great mower but i cant do the other ground engaging stuff that i hope the B or BX will do.

I think its more the ground clearance thing weighing on my mind, mostly for the bush hogging.

Low clearance like the BX = great for mowing.. higher clearance like the B= great for Bush hogging but not so good for mowing on slopes:confused:

/ BX25 vs B2626 with backhoe
A couple other questions i just thought of.

How hard is it to remove the MMM on a BX vs a B? Is it a simple pto plug in or are belts involved? Is the deck drive over?

Can you "lock" the MMM up on either machine and operate the rear 3pt independently?

Oh and what about the dreaded Industrial vs turfs? Will turfs hold up for bush-hogging? Will industrials tear the lawn? The HDAP's on my 540 will pack with clay when the grass is wet and leave me stuck till i get the truck even with the x540's differential lock. It sucks sitting there with both tires spinning, but unable to get traction. One more reason i want to upgrade to a machine with 4wd.

/ BX25 vs B2626 with backhoe #3  
How hard is it to remove the MMM on a BX vs a B? Is it a simple pto plug in or are belts involved? Is the deck drive over? *****

Drive over deck on B , not BX . Just a shaft twist on both and a
pull-out lock pin on both sides.

Can you "lock" the MMM up on either machine and operate the rear 3pt independently? *********

YES !

Oh and what about the dreaded Industrial vs turfs? Will turfs hold up for bush-hogging? Will industrials tear the lawn? *******
There's not too much grip with turfs on mud or inclines , and
they puncture easier too .
A few answers above. The BX is way lower for Centre of
gravity. How steep side-on are we talkin' ?
I'm all lawns,but I often spin on an incline ; diff locks are not much use either , even on a BX , tbh .
There are several slopes I avoid until the ground is well dry.

You can't slash 1" to 2.5" wood with a BX and it's HP. You need a hire a guy with a proper tractor ( L/M stuff)
for that diameter of wood. That's real brush , not overgrown grass stuff !

Last edited:
   / BX25 vs B2626 with backhoe #4  
I know you have mower but if 90% of what you do is mowing then that's what you should have for that job as a tractor will just not mow as well as a mower

Maybe think about renting for other jobs

Joel

/ BX25 vs B2626 with backhoe #5  
bp fick has a very good thread comparing the BX and B. JOHNTHOMAS also has a lot of information. I have owned 2 BXs, but never a B.

/ BX25 vs B2626 with backhoe #6  
bp fick has a very good thread comparing the BX and B. JOHNTHOMAS also has a lot of information. I have owned 2 BXs, but never a B.
Low clearance like the BX = great for mowing.. higher clearance like the B= great for Bush hogging but not so good for mowing on slopes:confused:
I think your questions have been answered in your previous thread and this one. You have even answered it for yourself. It's time to decide because I don't think your going to get any other answers other than the ones you've already rec'd. Maybe someone can use some different words but still same answer. GROUND CLEARANCE is biggest difference between BX and B and higher off the ground is or feels less stable. I purchase R/I4's on B's other than current B2320 has Ags (R1s) for garden work. I usually purchase turfs for BXs. I like the R/I4s and have never had a problem with them. Another decision that only you can make but I'd hesitate taking turfs into the woods or really rough areas.

/ BX25 vs B2626 with backhoe #7  
Is keeping the mower a possibility? I have a mower (ztr) and the B series and I think that is the way to go if possible . I started with a BX and I loved it but realized I just wanted a bigger tractor so I did it. When I first got my BX24 my wife assumed I was going to mow with it.

/ BX25 vs B2626 with backhoe
I think your questions have been answered in your previous thread and this one. You have even answered it for yourself. It's time to decide because I don't think your going to get any other answers other than the ones you've already rec'd. Maybe someone can use some different words but still same answer. GROUND CLEARANCE is biggest difference between BX and B and higher off the ground is or feels less stable. I purchase R/I4's on B's other than current B2320 has Ags (R1s) for garden work. I usually purchase turfs for BXs. I like the R/I4s and have never had a problem with them. Another decision that only you can make but I'd hesitate taking turfs into the woods or really rough areas.

I really hate creating multiple threads on the same issue. This one was basically to discuss the differences in the two machines. Im really second guessing myself here... I dont want to make the same mistake again... Its not that im unhappy with the x540 (im not, i love it) its just that i want something that will do everything i need. The loss im taking on the 540 is going to sting enough.,.. dont want to do this again.

Today i went to the dealer and looked at a B2620. Its a MUCH larger machine than i thought it was relative to the BX. I Think it will be too top heavy for my slopes.. maybe im a just a chicken?:laughing: Plus its taller.. not good for under low hanging branches. dealer offered me a demo of a used bx2320? but it had no mower. I passed for now

Got some bad news while at the dealer. He had 2 Bx's with <200 hours. Those were the machines i was originally planning to buy... But they sold. Now im not sure what will happen... New machine or hold off for a decent used? Cost wise it was about 2k difference from the used (sold) machines to new.

Dealer was pushing RFM. Whats the general consensus on them? Im thinking Mid mount for a bit of weight down low and for ease of use around the house (no tailswing)

Dealer also said that hes had several people with BX's wanting to buy turfs this year. Said the Industrals were too hard on the wet ground? Thats another decision i need to consider.

Is keeping the mower a possibility? I have a mower (ztr) and the B series and I think that is the way to go if possible . I started with a BX and I loved it but realized I just wanted a bigger tractor so I did it. When I first got my BX24 my wife assumed I was going to mow with it.

Unfortunately the Deere will have to go to finance the BX (or whatever machine).

Honestly after seeing it in person, i think the B would be overkill most of the time. About the only time id like it is Bush hogging.

Dealer wasn't endorsing a bush hog either. Said the BX had too little power according to the Landpride manual (20PTO recommended). Not sure what to make of that. I know guys here have them..But hes been selling tractors for 30 years so its not his first rodeo.

He did say it'd pull a 4ft boxblade fine. That was good to hear.

On a comparison note, What about the Massey GC24 or 26 TLB? They sell massey as well but he was really pushing the kubota. I thought the massey had stronger loader and backhoe (according to the brochures), but he didnt seem to agree....Theres also almost 2k between the kubota and the massey gc24.I was thinking the GC26 might be a better fit considering the occasional running of a Bush hog?

/ BX25 vs B2626 with backhoe #9  
Dealer also said that hes had several people with BX's wanting to buy turfs this year. Said the Industrals were too hard on the wet ground? Thats another decision i need to consider.

They do leave ruts on wet ground...:(