Snow Best snow equipment?

/ Best snow equipment? #1  

Mac25

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B2320 HST with LA 364 FEL
Besides a front mount snowblower, what is the general opinion on a tool for handling snow? Front blade or rear blade? Looking for something for a B2320. Thanks

/ Best snow equipment? #2  
Besides a front mount snowblower, what is the general opinion on a tool for handling snow? Front blade or rear blade? Looking for something for a B2320. Thanks

It will cost you less money to purchase a rear mounted Allied/Farm King snow blower from Ken Sweet rather than a front mounted snow caster and you can have the front loader for cleaning where you cannot use the snow caster and pile the snow and get rid of the piles with the rear mount snow caster.

The front mounted snow caster also has a reduced ground clearance with the higher price tag as well.

The auger housing is also a bit limited in removing snow banks as the auger will not be fully exposed to chew on the snow banks making it very long low productivity process.

You have to remember the snow you want to get rid of is wieghing in at 21 pounds per cubic foot with a fresh snow fall and it wieghs more per cubic foot when it melts.

The other nice thing about rear mount blowers is that there are no snowbanks and a rear mount blower will chew through anything the road plows leave in your driveway as well as remove the blind spots created by the road plows.

/ Best snow equipment? #3  
MAC25- Where are you located? Might make a difference in recommendations.

I've always used rear mount because of the size of my tractors, had good luck with them. I am not trying to start a rear vs front mount argument!! :D lord knows there have been a few threads going down that road.:laughing:

/ Best snow equipment? #4  
A loader and rear grader blade works well. I removed the steel edge and bolted on a piece of rubber cut from a truck tire. It sometimes won't scrape the asphalt all the way, but for me, that is secondary to being able to clear grass with no damage. The blade even works well pulling forward, as long as you have plenty of room, and the snow isn't very high.

/ Best snow equipment?
Live in Indiana

/ Best snow equipment? #6  
I had a rear blade and FEL until I got a rear mount blower this past winter. The blower/FEL combo is good, but sometimes I miss the rear blade for cleaning up a small snowfall. The front mount blower would allow me to have the rear blade attached, but then I'd miss having the FEL for digging the big stuff. Of course o can always drop the blower and mount the rear blade in just a few minutes. There is no perfect answer, but anything on a tractor is better than a shovel.

/ Best snow equipment? #7  
I use this in central Indiana for quick clearing of a long driveway. Philip.

Attachments

• FBLADE02.jpg
    FBLADE02.jpg
    702.8 KB · Views: 400
   / Best snow equipment? #8  
Loader or blade anything that is in front of the tractor is a lot easier to use than something to try to watch that is behind you. Depending the depth of the snow a blade can have limitations. A loader will dig through the snow no matter how deep the snow is. Blades are faster but if I could only afford one option it would be the loader.

/ Best snow equipment?
PHILIP8N said:
I use this in central Indiana for quick clearing of a long driveway. Philip.

That would be perfect. What size is it? Where did you purchase? And how much if you dont mind me asking?

/ Best snow equipment? #10  
I'll throw in with the loader/rear blade advocates. Versatile and effective, once you install a rear light or two, and get comfortable working in reverse. Terrain has a lot to do with it. I've got a power-angle front plow w/skids, which is nice in the right situation, [lesser snowfalls, hard surface, and generous, flat shoulder areas to pile snow] but I seldom have that situation.