Wallenstein Chipper

/ Wallenstein Chipper #21  
It wouldn't be much different than the backhoe would it?
It is a bit different than the backhoe. I think my BX42 weighs around 400 lbs or so... I know I can pick it up and move it with my loader. The bulk of the weight of the backhoe sits in closer to the tractor, so even with that much of a weight difference the chipper feels heavier and makes the tractor feel more "tippy." I do live on a hill, I just take it easy when I have my chipper on.

Chris

/ Wallenstein Chipper
Well, picked up the BXM32 today and used it for a couple of hours. It looks like I may have to shorten the pto shaft a bit. This is a big chipper!
So far I am very pleased with it, it handles everything I have thrown at it and the shredder is really nice. I think I will use that more than I expected
The chipper came with four longer bolts and nuts. I'm not sure what they are for?
I will use it again tomorrow and maybe post some photos. Thanks to all for your input, I feel I made the correct decision
Now a trip to the shower, when shredding old dry brush this makes a lot of dust!

/ Wallenstein Chipper #23  
Mine was big too when I got it, but it has become smaller as I've used it more ;)
Sure is nice seeing those piles get smaller isn't it?!
The bolts and nuts, which I assume you found in the container with the manual and safety glasses, are spare shear bolts. I've had my chipper/Shredder for two years and used it a fair bit and have yet to have to replace a shear bolt.
Enjoy!

/ Wallenstein Chipper #24  
Glad to hear that you're enjoying your BXM32. I've had one with my BX2660 for a couple of years now and don't know what I would do without it. You'll be really happy that you went with the shredder. I seen to use it more and more as time goes on.

In case the dealer didn't mention, you'll want to adjust the chipper blades after a good break-in period (4-8 hours of use). If I remember right the spec is for 1/32" of an inch, but it is in your manual.

You'll likely need to cut an inch or two out of the driveshaft (I did) but don't let that worry you. If it is so long that it NEEDS to be cut, that means that there is lots of drive shaft there for you to have a healthy margin of error when cutting. Hacksaw does the trick just fine.

Keep your BXM greased and feed it well!

/ Wallenstein Chipper #25  
Glennm,

I went through the same dilemma a few months ago. I finally went for a BX 42 because of the bigger chipper chute opening. I have a B2320 but the PTO power is about the same as yours. I have to agree with Spike23, the smaller twigs don't get cut very well and the shredder would do a much better job. The tractor has no power issues with the BX42 unless you go to the max 4 inches then the rpm will slow down a bit depending on the type of wood. Ideally, the BXM42 would have been my first choice but my tractor is just not powerful enough for this model. The capacity of the bxm32 was enough for me since 3 inch or more is good for firewood but the small opening for the chipper is what made my decision. Even with the bx42, I find I have to trim my branches a certain way to get them in. On the other hand if most of your tasks will be with twigs and smaller branches, then the bxm32 could be a better option.

Good luck with your choice

Gyro

I had some trouble with that when I first tried my BX42 chipper, but I found that the chipper knives were not adjusted right at the factory, and being too far apart, they often bent small branches instead of cutting them into chips. Once I got the knives adjusted per the manual ( around 1/32") the chipper worked much better on small stuff. Since the chipper is rated for 1000 rpm, I also tried the 960 rpm PTO, and that sure spit the small stuff through there! It bogs more easily on the larger stuff, of course, but is great for weeds, and small twigs, etc.

/ Wallenstein Chipper #26  
Actually, my BX42 arrived with a larger gap and I needed to reduce it to make the chips smaller and cut up more twigs. If you run at a high RPM, as suggested, the BX25 works fine! :thumbsup:

My BX42 came with the gap set to almost .100 ( or a little under 1/8"), and it would clog up on small branches (twigs) that were still green. Mine just loves pine branches! Many of the pine trees around the edge of my yard have grown branches up to more than 15' long, and they just spit right through the chipper without any help from me.

/ Wallenstein Chipper #27  
ChuckinNH said:
I had some trouble with that when I first tried my BX42 chipper, but I found that the chipper knives were not adjusted right at the factory, and being too far apart, they often bent small branches instead of cutting them into chips. Once I got the knives adjusted per the manual ( around 1/32") the chipper worked much better on small stuff. Since the chipper is rated for 1000 rpm, I also tried the 960 rpm PTO, and that sure spit the small stuff through there! It bogs more easily on the larger stuff, of course, but is great for weeds, and small twigs, etc.

ChuckinNH,

I put in a couple or small rocks (mixed with roots) the other day and it changed my settings a bit. I stopped the tractor before damaged was done to the blades. Re-adjust to 1/32 and it is working well and feeding nicely. I still have twigs that don't get broken. When you tried 960 rpm PTO, do you have to override the seat safety switch ? Mine will not stay when I flip my seat forward.

Gyro

/ Wallenstein Chipper #28  
Yes, I have some small sand bags ( legs of old jeans filled with sand) and I just set one of those on the seat to bypass the seat safety switch. Flipping the seat ahead doesn't work when using the 960 rpm option as you found out.

/ Wallenstein Chipper
I will need to shorten the pto shaft a bit, so, do you need to cut both sides? I haven't pulled it apart yet too see.

/ Wallenstein Chipper #30  
Yes! Cut both sides an equal amount. A hack saw does fine for this and I like to de-burr the ends with a file (or two) and some emery paper and then make sure I clean off all the chips etc and re-grease. Don't take too much!

Last edited: