Wallenstein Chipper

/ Wallenstein Chipper #1  

glennm

Bronze Member
Tractor
BX23, RTV 900 and Z122
Hi

I have a bx 23 and I really want to get a chipper. I also have a Ford NAA. I live close to the mfg of Wallenstein chippers, they suggest either a BX32 or BX 42 for my tractor.

I have a couple of questions --

• will the chipper fit my 3 pt hitch on the kubota?
  • is the power of this tractor enough or would the NAA be a better choice
  • is there much difference between the two? I wouldn't want to find out that I saved a little bit of money but was sorry for not getting the larger one

I will only be shredding small stuff - I have two wood stoves and don't usually waste anything over 2"

Thanks in advance

/ Wallenstein Chipper #2  
Yep, I have the BX23/BX42 combo. It works fine, plenty of power. It tends to just spit the small twigs straight through, so if I could go back and do it again, I would have gone with the chipper/shredder combo.

/ Wallenstein Chipper
I just called the local dealer and the BXM 32 (with shredder) will cost me about $400 more than the BX 32 -- that is about the same price as the BX 42 without the shredder. I think the BXM 42 (with shredder) may be too big for my tractor so I guess my best options are BX 32 - or BX 32M -- and if I want to forget the shredder the BX 42 Any thoughts? Also, do you guys know if the PTO shaft needs to be cut for a bx 23?

Thanks

/ Wallenstein Chipper #4  
I have a BX-25 and a BXM-32 and they work well together. I'm pretty sure that the 3PH is different on the BX-25 from your tractor. The shredder handles the small stuff easily without spitting anything back at you. If anything over 2" is firewood, I'd stick with the smaller chipper, with or without the shredder.

/ Wallenstein Chipper #5  
I think the bx 32 is the proper size for your tractor or the bxm 32 chipper shredder, since you said your not using it for any big branches (3" or less)there is a big difference between the bx32 and the bx 42, 2 chipping blades versus 4 chipping blades on bx 42 also the bx 32 has a smaller lighter flywheel (45lbs ) versus bx 42 (75lbs) the flywheel once turning tries to keep the speed more constent under load (slows down and speeds up slower and keeps the speed more constent)

/ Wallenstein Chipper
I am wondering about the shredder. I don't know how much it will be used. Some guys say they appreciate the larger opening on the 42 and others seem to like the shredder. I'm confused?:confused:

/ Wallenstein Chipper #7  
glennm said:
I am wondering about the shredder. I don't know how much it will be used. Some guys say they appreciate the larger opening on the 42 and others seem to like the shredder. I'm confused?:confused:

Glennm,

I went through the same dilemma a few months ago. I finally went for a BX 42 because of the bigger chipper chute opening. I have a B2320 but the PTO power is about the same as yours. I have to agree with Spike23, the smaller twigs don't get cut very well and the shredder would do a much better job. The tractor has no power issues with the BX42 unless you go to the max 4 inches then the rpm will slow down a bit depending on the type of wood. Ideally, the BXM42 would have been my first choice but my tractor is just not powerful enough for this model. The capacity of the bxm32 was enough for me since 3 inch or more is good for firewood but the small opening for the chipper is what made my decision. Even with the bx42, I find I have to trim my branches a certain way to get them in. On the other hand if most of your tasks will be with twigs and smaller branches, then the bxm32 could be a better option.

Good luck with your choice

Gyro

/ Wallenstein Chipper #8  
I will only be shredding small stuff - I have two wood stoves and don't usually waste anything over 2"

Thanks in advance

Based on that I'd definitely go with the BXM32 chipper/shredder and would go with it even if larger 3-3.5" stuff was in your future. I have one and the shredder gets close to 50% of the use due to 1 inch and less branches not being the most efficient size for proper chipping. The shredder is considerably quicker than the chipper for that size material, the shredder is absolutely viscous pulling in stuff and the resulting mulch is really beautiful stuff and it's great for leaves too. So even if you have to stretch a little for the chipper/shredder now you'll be thanking yourself the first time you use it, if you don't you'll wish you had.

/ Wallenstein Chipper
How fine is the mulch from the shredder? I would like to put some on trails in the bush

/ Wallenstein Chipper #10  
Another thing to think about while making this decision..., the extra weight of a larger chipper will make the front end of your tractor that much lighter. I know that I have to be careful on hills with my BXM-32 on the back of the BX. But then one should be careful all the time! I have put weights on the front of the tractor while using it. It does hang out there a ways...