Oil & Fuel rain water in fuel...:(

/ rain water in fuel...:( #1  

BotaBX24er

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX24
OK...made dumb move...filled up my tank and left the cap off for over a week...:( had several southern storms come on by during that time. I've only cranked it once but shut it right back down after i noticed the cap was off. Bought some Heet to put in, but what else should i do before i start it up and run it...do i need to drain it?
Any advice would be appreciated.

/ rain water in fuel...:( #2  
Drain it

/ rain water in fuel...:( #3  
Is it diesel or gas? If I remember Sothern rain storms then I would drain it and would be surprised if there was any fuel left in it. :laughing: :laughing:

/ rain water in fuel...:( #4  
I would definately drain it completely, let it air dry for a couple days in the garage, put new diesel (assuming it's diesel) in it, then add some diesel stabilizer or something like it to get remaining moisture out.

/ rain water in fuel...:( #5  
Drain it and refill to the top with fuel and add a water dispersant like Diesel Kleen. Keep and eye on the filter, or replace it on principle. I would.

/ rain water in fuel...:(
Thanks for the heads up...called the repair guy (who was very friendly) and walked me through it step by step.
1) Since the water is more dense than diesel, it should all go to the bottom of the tank.
2) remove and replace fuel filter, which should catch the water if I have sucked it in while ran it for that little bit.
3) drain the fuel for a bit...water should come out, if there is any in there.

And for added measure, I dumped the Heet water removal additive in there. Since the filter was already off, I went ahead and installed an in-line shut off valve that i was able to pick up for $5 from the automotive supply shop

Oh, by the way, there was about a cup of water that came out in the mixture and it looked like i was really due for that fuel filter change too (225 hours).

/ rain water in fuel...:( #7  
You should be good to go then. Now....remember to put the cap back on:laughing:

/ rain water in fuel...:(
I have to make a disappointing update...after running it for about 3 hours, it started sputtering and misfiring and rpm's going all over the place while trying to drive. So I've gone ahead with a total drain and flush of the fuel system. Refueling with brand new fuel later on and will keep you guys posted.

/ rain water in fuel...:( #9  
Next time do NOT put Heet in it, that is an alcohol and is bad for diesel fuel systems. Despite their advertising Heet does NOT remove water....where does it go? Into solution with the alcohol which is a bigger problem with a diesel than the water that was there in the first place IMHO.

/ rain water in fuel...:( #10  
I've heard that alcohol and injection pumps are not really compatible.:)