Kubota, first problem

/ Kubota, first problem #1  

Art Olive

Tractor
kubota b7800 2007
For almost 5 years my Kubota B7800 has been great, but in the past year a problem has shown up. Namely, the tractor does not start. At first rocking the HST pedal was enough get it to crank and start. This has become much more difficult lately. First thought was the lock out switch below seat on right side. So I jumpered it. Now it starts, but still hangs in forward or reverse. I went to the service manager and parts man at my local dealer, who thought it might be the damper. This is a thing that looks like a shock absorber which is hooked to the pedal linkage. I removed it, this helped but it still hangs in gear although it is now easier to find neutral. Does anyone have experience with this problem and in particular the damper? Kubota guys thought a new one might solve the problem but were not real sure. It is a 100 dollar part. Also the Kubota guys said there is a neutral return spring on the linkage and gave me a page from the parts manual on it. With difficulty I can visualize the spring, but can not see how to get at it. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Art

/ Kubota, first problem #3  
Hi Art, can't offer any help but I didn't want you to think you were being ignored here. Sounds like you are on the right track and the HST pedal is not centering on it's own and causing the starting issue. I don't know anything about the linkages and what exactly promotes that action. I would try dousing everything I could reach with lubricant to see if it frees up the action somewhere, but I have never tried to take one apart and I don't know if the B series linkage is the same as the L series.

/ Kubota, first problem #4  
Hello & WELCOME to TractorByNet.com! :)

I have moved your thread to the Kubota Owning/Operating Forum. You'll get a better response there. ;)

/ Kubota, first problem #5  
Welcome to TBN !
I don't own an HST but in the back of my mind I think I remember a thread in the past where the OP described a similar problem. Maybe you could find it with the search function. If you don't get any help you could start a new thread where you tell the problem in the title. Like "HST Pedal Won't Return to Neutral". That way anyone familiar with the problem will be more apt to look and help you out. Good Luck.

/ Kubota, first problem #6  
For almost 5 years my Kubota B7800 has been great, but in the past year a problem has shown up. Namely, the tractor does not start. At first rocking the HST pedal was enough get it to crank and start. This has become much more difficult lately. First thought was the lock out switch below seat on right side. So I jumpered it. Now it starts, but still hangs in forward or reverse. I went to the service manager and parts man at my local dealer, who thought it might be the damper. This is a thing that looks like a shock absorber which is hooked to the pedal linkage. I removed it, this helped but it still hangs in gear although it is now easier to find neutral. Does anyone have experience with this problem and in particular the damper? Kubota guys thought a new one might solve the problem but were not real sure. It is a 100 dollar part. Also the Kubota guys said there is a neutral return spring on the linkage and gave me a page from the parts manual on it. With difficulty I can visualize the spring, but can not see how to get at it. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Art
This has been identified as an inherent problem on this particular machine (and I have read about a few other models). The search feature will turn up threads on this topic.

credit to OP

Attachments

• HST Safety Switch.jpg
    HST Safety Switch.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 3,217
  • HSTSafetySwitch01.jpg
    HSTSafetySwitch01.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 1,054
   / Kubota, first problem #7  
This has been identified as an inherent problem on this particular machine (and I have read about a few other models). The search feature will turn up threads on this topic.

credit to OP

In the first photo, the plunger/tube is the source of the problem. My B3200 had the same issue, the problem is that even a small amount of corrosion in the tube will make the plunger hang and therefore will not allow the pedal to center. When the pedal isn't centered the tractor won't start.

I lubricated the plunger/tube assy. and it worked great. I just used motor oil from an oil can to lubricate it. Figured grease would be to heavy. The problem happened around 200hrs and I'm near 400hrs now and the problem hasn't reoccurred.

/ Kubota, first problem #8  
Was the B2910 one of them ?

/ Kubota, first problem
Hi John, Thanks for your quick response. I have tried greasing and spraying to no avail. The movement seems free enough, but does not want to return to neutral by itsself. Currently am running with the damper removed and switch jumpered so that starting in no problem. I shift the gear trans to neutral or shut down if I get off the tractor. Art

/ Kubota, first problem
The picture showing the jumper wire on the switch looks exactly like mine, even the same color wire. Thanks Art