M59 hydraulics got slow and weak.

/ M59 hydraulics got slow and weak. #201  
More active cooling could help, but would be hard to achieve.

Well I should be working but I couldn't help thinking about this a bit more. It actually could be done, by adding an additional reservoir to double or more the hydraulic oil capacity as well as cooling (passive might be enough). I considered this earlier but couldn't see any place to put an additional reservoir, however there is plenty of room as well as good air flow for cooling in the ROPS roof area. The return from the backhoe (or any return line) would be directed to the upper reservoir; the overflow from the upper reservoir would drain back to the main reservoir, maintaining a constant level. Not seriously suggesting this (the fluid cost alone would be prohibitive) but it could actually work.

/ M59 hydraulics got slow and weak. #202  
I have thought that the system ran too hot also. While I have not check surface temps with an IR gun I have gave some thought to either looking into a larger Hydro. cooler and/or installing a fan in front of the cooler to supplement the air flow through the Hydro. cooler and radiator.

/ M59 hydraulics got slow and weak. #203  
Well I should be working but I couldn't help thinking about this a bit more. It actually could be done, by adding an additional reservoir to double or more the hydraulic oil capacity as well as cooling (passive might be enough). I considered this earlier but couldn't see any place to put an additional reservoir, however there is plenty of room as well as good air flow for cooling in the ROPS roof area. The return from the backhoe (or any return line) would be directed to the upper reservoir; the overflow from the upper reservoir would drain back to the main reservoir, maintaining a constant level. Not seriously suggesting this (the fluid cost alone would be prohibitive) but it could actually work.

Yes, we could certainly make some more extensive mods and cool it down. My thought was simply that the hydraulic system was originally designed to operate at the temperatures specified in the workshop manual....at least I'm assuming that was the intent. And farther assuming that at some point in the development it probably did so. And if so, even a small change in cooling might be significant. Little effort; possible rewards.
rScotty

/ M59 hydraulics got slow and weak.
Glad to see the thread still kicking.

Tbard, the only reason I watch the temp gauge on the console is this little hunk of steals temps are all relative. A motor mounted hydro pump with the sump(tranny) bolted right to the motor. If one makes excess heat it will migrate.

The rops would be a great place to mount a radiator with a 12v fan set up. I've seen pics of rtv1100 with auxiliary set ups.

I took some temp readings yesterday after about an hour in 75f temps.

Motor hydro pump 173
Tranny mounted pump 165
Rear boom cylinder 141
Tranny 165

/ M59 hydraulics got slow and weak. #205  
IMAG0204.jpgAfter digging in hard gumbo rmoving some stumps I once again forgot to take my I/R gun to check temps.. I just think its too hot so I Installed an aux. fan and a toggle switchIMAG0201.jpg

/ M59 hydraulics got slow and weak. #206  
My John Deere does not do this, Thats why I thought it was odd. There is no load other than the hydraulics themselves. Must be a Kubota thing.

David
back on this forum after a while. My loaders does the same thing as does the M59 I tested before i purchased my current unit. I beleive that there is some type of check/ safety valving in the cylinders that requires high pressue to crack and hence the load. Interesting that with the control level full actuated there is little to no load while the loader is moving. Regardless, this TLB can lift what ever I need it to. I'm very happy with it.

Also, I've been working the BH a lot lately. sOme trenching and a lot of tree extractions. the BH has been doing great! I like this thing more and more. Regarding hydraulic tempertures, after a couple hours of hard work the cylindes feel very warm. I can keep my hand on them so I guess it is arount 140 or so.

If i have not said it before...Make sure your coolers are real clean. They can get dirty real quick

/ M59 hydraulics got slow and weak. #207  
My John Deere does not do this, Thats why I thought it was odd. There is no load other than the hydraulics themselves. Must be a Kubota thing.

David

Mine does too. I think it's normal. I notice the engine will lug when I'm traveling down the road and hit the loader control to move the bucket a few inches. The lugging doesn't care much if the bucket is full or empty, so it's probably more about redirecting the hydraulic fluid than about how much work the loader is doing.
I've never really looked into it or thought much about that happening, but now it occurs to me that when I'm working the loader along the ground or into a dirt pile I've never noticed the loader slowing the motor down at all. It may spin the wheels or maybe even stall, but it just doesn't lug down much. That makes me wonder if that on-board computer is making some sort of hydraulic fluid routing decision based on ground speed or what gear it's in? This tractor might be more sophisticated than we've yet figured out.

As for it being a Kubota thing, that might be so.....or it could simply be a different type of transmission. What tranny does your 4700 MFWD JD have? That's a nice tractor BTW.
rScotty

/ M59 hydraulics got slow and weak. #208  
This thread is interesting since I recently purchased an M59. It seems that using the backhoe in hard conditions heated the oil according to one poster who used his for commercial-level duty. I would also think that pulling the tractor hard with an implement would also heat the oil in the HST+. I checked my tractor and the oil cooler is very small and there is plenty of room for a much larger one. It looked like there is even room to install another cooler in front of the existing one if brackets could be fabbed to stabilize it. Because of all that space, I would be interested in purchasing a larger cooler if one was available that could be retrofitted.

Last edited:
   / M59 hydraulics got slow and weak. #209  
I've got an M62 & agree especially in the summer the whole hydraulic system will get heat soaked & has got to be too hot! I can't even grab a cylinder for second.

Of course bushhogging clogs up all the radiators quickly & it takes an hour or more with a pressure washer & compressed air to get them somewhat cleared. They may look cleared but they're not, you have to run the tractor & dry everything out then hit it again. More trash comes out the second time than the first & I'm still not sure I got it all cleared. I'd have to remove the breather, battery, front guard, etc. you can inspect it with a mirror but to clear it you have to be in line with the radiator fins. It's a pain...

Wormwood