Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3000DT

Default Stuck in Gear

Yesterday I was feeling great.

I was spreading a huge pile of topsoil we've got leftover from construction. I really want to get some lawn in around the house! So I was running at the pile with my L3000DT's bucket, filling it up, and then dumping it where I wanted it.

Everything was working fine while I was in lower gears. Hitting the pile in 3rd, for example, worked well. Then I wanted to go faster. In 5th gear, it worked fine for a while, then it got stuck in gear. I was jammed against the pile, my bucket up in the air, and I couldn't move either the main gear selector or the hi/lo selector. Everything else, including the loader, seemed to be working fine.

That was pretty scary because my foot was on the clutch. If I take my foot off the clutch, the tractor dies and then doesn't start again, being stuck in gear.

I sorta forced it, and everything was fine again. A few rounds later, though, it happened again, much worse this time. I sat there for probably 5 minutes hitting those levers with my hand, trying to get them to move. After playing with the levers and the clutch, it finally just slipped out and I was able to back up. At this point it seemed to smell a little funny, but maybe I was just freaked out and imagining things.

I let it sit for a while as I looked up the problem here, and found some info about "roll pins", but couldn't find any such thing in my parts or service manuals.

Then I went out and tried it again, because I'm stupid but optimistic. This time I stayed in 3rd gear when ramming the pile, and it worked beautifully.

What happened?
    Kubota L3000DT, banged-up LA402 loader, backhoe

Tractor
    Kubota L2800HST w/Frontloader & CC LTX1046

Default Re: Stuck in Gear

Why are you ramming the pile of dirt??..can you break the dirt pile up so you can use the bucket...flat curl as you enter pile of dirt.

"This time I stayed in 3rd gear when ramming the pile, and it worked beautifully.

What happened? "

I'd say you got darn lucky something didn't catch or worse...talk about shock to tractor system.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    2010 Kubota M7040

I creep up to a pile in 2nd low and ease in to it and curl the bucket back as it fills. I sure wouldnt 'hit' the pile fast. Something is gonna give and I dont think you'll like it!

Tractor
    B2620 GR2120

Doesn't sound like you really know how to properly use a tractor.Maybe you need a bigger industrial machine.

Tractor
    Kubota L3400DT

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Lately View Post
    Yesterday I was feeling great.

I was spreading a huge pile of topsoil we've got leftover from construction. I really want to get some lawn in around the house! So I was running at the pile with my L3000DT's bucket, filling it up, and then dumping it where I wanted it.

Everything was working fine while I was in lower gears. Hitting the pile in 3rd, for example, worked well. Then I wanted to go faster. In 5th gear, it worked fine for a while, then it got stuck in gear. I was jammed against the pile, my bucket up in the air, and I couldn't move either the main gear selector or the hi/lo selector. Everything else, including the loader, seemed to be working fine.

That was pretty scary because my foot was on the clutch. If I take my foot off the clutch, the tractor dies and then doesn't start again, being stuck in gear.

I sorta forced it, and everything was fine again. A few rounds later, though, it happened again, much worse this time. I sat there for probably 5 minutes hitting those levers with my hand, trying to get them to move. After playing with the levers and the clutch, it finally just slipped out and I was able to back up. At this point it seemed to smell a little funny, but maybe I was just freaked out and imagining things.

I let it sit for a while as I looked up the problem here, and found some info about "roll pins", but couldn't find any such thing in my parts or service manuals.

Then I went out and tried it again, because I'm stupid but optimistic. This time I stayed in 3rd gear when ramming the pile, and it worked beautifully.

What happened?
    It sounds to me like your clutch is dragging (not fully disengaging). When that happens it puts load on the gears in the transmission and they won't shift.

The reason I say this is I just went through this with my L3400DT, and it wasn't an easy fix.

Luckily, mine was under warranty. The dealer had to split the tractor in two, found the transmission input shaft splines were rusty enough that it didn't allow the clutch to fully disengage every time.

This may not be the problem with yours, but the symptoms are very similar.

BTW, if you're digging in a compacted pile, you're going to have a much easier time of it if you use the bucket edge to back drag from the top of the pile first, then scoop the loosened dirt in a lower gear.

The tractor FEL is primarily meant for loose materials, they're not really designed to do much digging.

Sean
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stuck in Gear-l3400-clutch-002.jpg   Stuck in Gear-l3400-clutch-001.jpg