HST whine on larger tractors...

/ HST whine on larger tractors... #1  

General Lee

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota, L4400, BX1870
I have been wondering if the typical HST whine is more quiet on the larger tractors than the small ones. For instance, my prior B3200 would whine like a baby without its bottle, which drove me crazy. Something about that whine over riding that diesel sound. Now on my L4400, I don't really notice the whine, its more noticeable in high gear especially if the rpm's aren't high enough which is to be expected. But just being in Low and doing work with correct rpm's I don't notice it. Anytime I happen to catch a video or see a smaller B or BX series operating, the whine really stands out.

So, how loud is everyone's whine on their L series or larger tractors? One of the reason's I have been pondering this is I kinda feel my L4400 is a little weak for its size and because I have less noticeable whine, I'm wondering if the hydraulic flow is sufficient?

/ HST whine on larger tractors... #2  
i have the MX5100 HST an i dont hear any whine in the HST at all idling or running at working rpms in any of the ranges.

/ HST whine on larger tractors... #3  
The whine on my L3400HST is very modest, almost not there in low gear, but definatly there in High, , and has a little in Med. Not objectionable at all. The only Bx I have been around working, I noticed it was louder on the BX.

James K0UA

/ HST whine on larger tractors... #4  
Not very noticeable on my L5030 under normal operation.

/ HST whine on larger tractors... #6  
I thought I was crazy. I asked this in the Bobcat forum when I brought my little 230 and noticed the whine when driving it. I did not notice it in ther gear model older ones I had driven before or even as much in the skidsteers so why the whine is it just the pump and or assembly trying to force the fluid from a larger area to or into a smaller area ?

/ HST whine on larger tractors... #7  
I do not notice a whine with my L3940. But, my wife says I am very good at tunning her or people out when I do not want to listen! Philip.

/ HST whine on larger tractors... #8  
Not very noticable on my L45 unless in high gear hauling ***, then its loud!:thumbsup:

/ HST whine on larger tractors...
Well, it seems to be the norm the larger CUT's have less whine then. Its one sound I don't miss from my B.