Mowing Is it tire tracks?

/ Is it tire tracks? #1  

nuttin better

Tractor
BX 2350 FEL 60mmm TG1670
Hi Friends, Would like to know if anyone out there has experienced this. I have a golf course type lawn, weed free well kept. After the last couple times mowing with my 2360 w60"mmm I notice a 12" strip that looks like it only cut half as much as the rest of lawn. Would it be the r4s (fluid in rear) is pushing down the lawn and by the time the mower hits it it does'nt have time to pop back up to get mowed. Everything on the mower itself is in perfect working order and the 3 blades are 20" long. It's the only thing i can figure out. It's driving me:confused2:

/ Is it tire tracks? #2  
Well, your MMM is mowing before the rear tires ever get to run over the grass, assuming your front tires are not loaded. Were is the 12" high spot? Is it the exact width ofthe tires? Do you just get one 12" high spot per pass or two?

/ Is it tire tracks? #3  
As your mower blades are only using half their cutting edge at any time with the following edge trailing it sounds as if your dealing with a bent or slightly loose mower blade;

You need to check the blade mounts quickly before you have an accident or injury caused by the mower deck(been there done that with a blade loosening up years ago that went across a field(thats why I like my flailmower so much with so many 4 legged rug rats running around).

Assuming you have a ground contact mower deck -Does your mower have a large width center roller to prevent scalping or large width rear rollers? If so that is the culprit in this issue.

That is the nice thing about flailmowers and good or bad turf they dont have issues like this as the rear roller is the best stripe maker.

This is a suggestion for your mowing issues; If you mow in a continous spiral the lawn will look perfect and there will be no issues with leaving tire marks as the tractor will have no need to stop, turn, back up, restart and in 24 hours it will be perfect with no tire marks showing.

I think you have a bent mower blade which would cut a high spot at all times(mower blades are very easy to bend if you are not familiar with how steel behaves as the arbor becomes an accidental fulcrum if a bending moment occurs simply because the outer edge of the mower blade is a thinner aerodynamic wing due to the stamping design of the blade and the bevel edge created for the sharp edge.

Personally I really wish someone would start making a belly mount flail mower again for tractors as they have not been made here in the states for many years and it would be easy enough to power them from the rear PTO to simplify them.

Last edited:
   / Is it tire tracks? #5  
Hi Friends, Would like to know if anyone out there has experienced this. I have a golf course type lawn, weed free well kept. After the last couple times mowing with my 2360 w60"mmm I notice a 12" strip that looks like it only cut half as much as the rest of lawn. Would it be the r4s (fluid in rear) is pushing down the lawn and by the time the mower hits it it does'nt have time to pop back up to get mowed. Everything on the mower itself is in perfect working order and the 3 blades are 20" long. It's the only thing i can figure out. It's driving me:confused2:

Where is this strip in relation to how where driving? I.e. in line with tires, in the center, left, right, etc...

Is the strip constant from start to finish or does it just happen occasionally?

/ Is it tire tracks? #6  
I have the tire track problem, and it's 2 strips about 8" spaced exactly the width of my front tires. In your case I would follow the earlier advice and check the blades for some sort of problem.

/ Is it tire tracks? #7  
Mine did this when one of the mower bolts backed out enough so the blade did not turn as fast as it should and would slip on heavy grass. I reached under and tightened it to torque specs.

As mentioned by others, check the condition of your blades and also make sure your belts are tight though this is not common for the dual belt system on the BX.

I run weights on our BX2660 and have no problems with "mashed grass".

/ Is it tire tracks? #8  
Mow at a slower speed. That will allow the blades to raise the grass up for a more even cut.

/ Is it tire tracks? #9  
Check things like people have mentioned. I did have a loose blade once, you almost need an impact wrench to get the blades on good. One problem with BX's is that they are pretty heavy compared to riding mowers. Fluid in the rear tires doesn't help, but I have mine filled also. One suggestion if the others don't work out, is make sure you vary your mowing pattern. Don't mow the same direction and pattern every time.

/ Is it tire tracks? #10  
I'm ignoring the rest of the posters as I have a different ideas in mind.:eek:
I think its one of the two things- mower deck out of alignment or direction of mowing.

I think you need to check the height of two blades on outside. Place tractor on flattest spot, garage floor or driveway. move blade so its pointing the farthest out and measure height from ground to tip of blade on right side. compare to left side.

The other idea is that I have no idea which direction you are mowing in. Since I have a 60 inch deck, I find that mowing grass in and keeping the tires inside of unmowed area seems to give me better results then mowing out. It seems that grass seems to mash more from right tire then left :confused2: on my BX. please don't ask me why- I might be a certified nutso when I noticed this.