Oil & Fuel Extra Fluid in crankcase

/ Extra Fluid in crankcase #1  

papaTJeeper

Tractor
Kubota L-235
I have an older L 235 that suddenly filled the crank case with either diesel or hydraulic fluid. My guess is diesel as the two hour use depeleted over a half tank (7.5 gal tank) and as best as I can tell, no hydraulic fluid is missing. Not water, as no oil in radiator and no missing coolant. The tractor was running as usual and only apparent problem was the fluid mixture flowing out the down draft tube from the valve cover.

I cannot find a parts or repair manual for this model. I have experience with gas engines and 2 cycle engines and a minimal knowledge of diesel engines. A source to obtain manual or some idea as to what I should look for would be greatly appreciated.

At present my plan is; drain and refill crankcase with correct oil. Crank the tractor and see what happens. Suggestions?????

Thanks,
PapaT

/ Extra Fluid in crankcase #2  
You could try that, but it sounds like your head gasket went.

/ Extra Fluid in crankcase #3  
Could be a fuel pump.

/ Extra Fluid in crankcase #4  
I have an older L 235 that suddenly filled the crank case with either diesel or hydraulic fluid. My guess is diesel as the two hour use depeleted over a half tank (7.5 gal tank) and as best as I can tell, no hydraulic fluid is missing. Not water, as no oil in radiator and no missing coolant. The tractor was running as usual and only apparent problem was the fluid mixture flowing out the down draft tube from the valve cover.

I cannot find a parts or repair manual for this model. I have experience with gas engines and 2 cycle engines and a minimal knowledge of diesel engines. A source to obtain manual or some idea as to what I should look for would be greatly appreciated.

At present my plan is; drain and refill crankcase with correct oil. Crank the tractor and see what happens. Suggestions?????

Thanks,
PapaT

you can contact Messicks for an engine manual or Foley engine
BUT It sounds as if you have a broken piston ring or valve
and valve spring problem to allow that much fuel into the
crank case.

I would contact the local dealer if you have one
and see about doing a compresssion test before
you do anything as changing the oil will only
repeat the process filling the crankcase.

The reason I am sure it is a piston ring or a valve is that only
the amount of combustion fuel for each cylinder is being pumped
to each cylinder and one cylinder or more is allowing the portion
of diesel fuel to exit through a piston ring or a stuck or broken
valve or broken valve spring and be unused for combustion.

The fuel pump will continue to pump the volume of fuel
required as the engine is working and the overflow line continues
to return less fuel to the tank.

The other possibility is the seals in the injection pump are allowing
fuel to leak by and drain into the crank case but these things last for
thousands of hours so its an extremely remote possibility.

Last edited:
   / Extra Fluid in crankcase
Thanks for the reply, please explain fuel pump X2.

I forgot to add to the original post that the L 235 is supposed to be the last year made with under the tractor exhaust system.

papaTJ

/ Extra Fluid in crankcase #7  
A problem with most fuel pumps is the drive comes off the timing system and the drive shaft seals will leak after time into the crankcase.

/ Extra Fluid in crankcase #8  
Dumping that much fuel that fast would most likely be a fuel pump or injector pump issue.