New L5240 Starting Rough

/ New L5240 Starting Rough
Thanks for all the feedback!

I emailed a link to the video to Kubota. I'm not counting on a reply but you never know.

Someone asked about the glow plugs and I did wait for the glow plug light to go out before starting. I have also tried turning the key on and off several times and still had the same result.

I will keep you posted.

/ New L5240 Starting Rough #22  
Mine does this also? I have not tried half throttle yet but will next time I start it. If your glow plug light goes out , Does it mean you glow plugs are working? If not , How does one prove they are functional? Have not had my new tractor during cold weather yet.

Thanks-

/ New L5240 Starting Rough #23  
Mine does this also? I have not tried half throttle yet but will next time I start it. If your glow plug light goes out , Does it mean you glow plugs are working? If not , How does one prove they are functional? Have not had my new tractor during cold weather yet.

Thanks-

If you have a volt meter clamp the positive to one of the glow plugs and ground the other to the engine block. Then cycle the gp's and you should see somewhere bewteen 10-12 volts.:)
I also cycled my several times and it made no difference. I am 'almost' convinced that it is this way because of the emissions junk they put on it.:mad:

/ New L5240 Starting Rough #24  
Your starts look just like mine do on my new L5740. Having been involved with engine applications for 27 to 175 HP powered equipment for a major construction equipment manufacturer, I don't see anything unusual. The Tier 4 interim small engines (less than 75) allow a lot of soot emissions. Our FADEC engines ( FADEC = Full Authority Digital Engine Control) are a lot cleaner but we don't use them on small diesels because we can meet the emissions without the expense. So you have indirect injection which tends to be dirtier, and a turbo that has not yet spooled up providing the oxygen needed for clean combusion, you're going to get smoke. I know it makes me shudder to think of what high engine speed cold starts mean to component life but our Tier 1 engines (before FADEC) required high idle starts to meet emissions, then throttle down once the engine is running smoothly. I don't know if anybody read the manual and started using the book method (I rarely did except for specific start testing - seeing how high pressures spike with high speeds and cold oil) but I reviewed all warranty and never saw any increased claims vs. the previous engine with the same power train. Yes, I like how my JD7730 starts compared to my L5740 but 152 HP with all the bells and whistles cost more than triple what my CUT L5740 cost - but after 14 hours a day on that air ride seat you get to thinking it is worth every penny.

/ New L5240 Starting Rough #25  
Almost forgot, if you are interested in what the white smoke from a blown head gasket looks like, this is an engine running at low idle 2 minutes after start. It is a larger engine, a 4.4 liter 130 HP mechanical fuel injection engine.

Attachments

• DAM150 12 Jun 03 d.JPG
    DAM150 12 Jun 03 d.JPG
    388.3 KB · Views: 127
   / New L5240 Starting Rough
Here is the reply from Kubota:

Good afternoon,
I am the Division Service Manager for Kubota based in our Fort Worth, TX
office. Your email and video have been forwarded to me for a response. I
have viewed the videos you supplied, and offer the following observations /
comments:

1. At a cold start, the initial puff of smoke appears to be black followed
by white.
2. Within 3-5 seconds this clears up and the tractor exhaust shows no
visible sign of smoke.
3. I assume there are no other concerns or symptoms such as lack of power,
or missing under load.
4. I also assume the elevation where you are located is 4000-5000 feet
above sea level. (We are at 7600 feet)
5.Your tractor is equipped with a Kubota diesel engine that is Interim
Tier-4 certified for exhaust emissions.

Considering the above, it is my opinion that the initial smoke and
"stumbling" the engine is experiencing, is consistent with the performance
of an Interim Tier-4 certified engine.

Your altitude will also have an impact during initial cold start up. But
since this is a turbocharged engine, once the engine is started, the
turbocharger is functional and altitude should not be a major factor
when operating in the field.

Thank you for purchasing Kubota products.

Dave Haggerty
Central Division Service Manager
14855 FAA Blvd. Fort Worth, TX 76155

I guess that is how is should run. Now I just have to remember to not start the tractor in the barn when my wife is milking. :smiley_aafz:

Thanks for all the great feedback!

/ New L5240 Starting Rough #27  
Here is the reply from Kubota:

Good afternoon,
I am the Division Service Manager for Kubota based in our Fort Worth, TX
office. Your email and video have been forwarded to me for a response. I
have viewed the videos you supplied, and offer the following observations /
comments:

1. At a cold start, the initial puff of smoke appears to be black followed
by white.
2. Within 3-5 seconds this clears up and the tractor exhaust shows no
visible sign of smoke.
3. I assume there are no other concerns or symptoms such as lack of power,
or missing under load.
4. I also assume the elevation where you are located is 4000-5000 feet
above sea level. (We are at 7600 feet)
5.Your tractor is equipped with a Kubota diesel engine that is Interim
Tier-4 certified for exhaust emissions.

Considering the above, it is my opinion that the initial smoke and
"stumbling" the engine is experiencing, is consistent with the performance
of an Interim Tier-4 certified engine.

Your altitude will also have an impact during initial cold start up. But
since this is a turbocharged engine, once the engine is started, the
turbocharger is functional and altitude should not be a major factor
when operating in the field.

Thank you for purchasing Kubota products.

Dave Haggerty
Central Division Service Manager
14855 FAA Blvd. Fort Worth, TX 76155

I guess that is how is should run. Now I just have to remember to not start the tractor in the barn when my wife is milking. :smiley_aafz:

Thanks for all the great feedback!

Interesting but not very informative. My B3200 is I-4 too and has none of the white smoke after the initial black puff. But I think this is how these engines are going to be. No big deal just annoying.
Nifty how a low emission engine smokes more than an old :laughing::laughing::confused2::confused2:eek:ne.:laughing::laughing::confused2:

/ New L5240 Starting Rough #28  
When my L5030 goes toes up, I may look for a good used L5240/5740 with the older emissions system.

/ New L5240 Starting Rough #29  
When my L5030 goes toes up, I may look for a good used L5240/5740 with the older emissions system.

Did they ever make them without the EGR?

/ New L5240 Starting Rough #30  
Did they ever make them without the EGR?

I honestly don't know, but we have a 60's model Case, 80's model MF375, 08 2660, 03 5030 and 2010 M8540 and none of them start like that.