Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    kubota b2620

Default Re: Quarter Inching..

There is also this demonstration which helped me some but I never thought about adjusting the screw stops. Seems like a good idea if you want to change the amount you move with each flick of the lever against the stops.

YouTube - ‪kubota B7610 Quarter Inch Valve versus Position Control‬‏

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B3200, Ford NAA, IH 454D, Case 1845C

I would bet that over 75% of the B-seires with 1/4" valve are never adjusted properly by the dealer or factory. Mine was dysfunctional when I got it but after some adjustment got similar results as ChuckNH. Most dealers didn't even seem to know what the 1/4" valve did or how it worked when I was looking at tractors.

I do a lot of grading, leveling and finish work for my business and really have come to like the 1/4" valve for this type of work. I haven't used any tractor with position control that will give this finite control. This is especially nice because I can put my laser level on my box blade and lay a perfect grade with it. Also, I can't recall any piece of earth moving equipment I have ever run that used 'position control' for anything, lol

With that said, for farm work position control is a lot nicer, but I get along fine with my little kubota. One other little know feature on the 1/4" valve is the lower stop linkage that when adjusted will keep an implement from going below a set height (think no more bush hog sagging after a few rounds.) I've only fiddled with it a little but can see the potential. The stop I'm referring to is on a linkage connected to the rockshaft assy, and by loosening a set screw you can move it to adjust it. There is only brief mention of it in the manual with very little instruction on how to make it work, I'm still experimenting with it.
    Kubota B3200
    Ford NAA Jubilee
    International 454D
    Case 1845C skid steer
    JD 265

Elite Member
    R.I.P.
    Tractor
    (B2620, had BX22) Simplicity Legacy w/48" mmm

Quote Originally Posted by bp fick View Post
    Chuck, thanks so much for this post. Do you believe that "most" of these stops are not set accurately at the final assembly point, ie, the dealerships?

Would it then be your contention that these stops were designed to be adjusted by the owner/operator and thus, no true, singular adjustment, made by the dealer at assembly, could possibly be a "one size fits all" kind of deal?

Simply put, we owners should expect to adjust these and not just assume they were "factory set" at a best use position?

Sorry about the long post without paragraph breaks. I haven't been feeling so hot lately, and sometimes my thoughts run just like my post did.

The "silver" "U" shaped part is just a lock that keeps the 3pt. from being used when a backhoe is mounted.

I do believe that "most" of these stops are never set correctly by kubota, or the dealer, and I haven't found adjusting them in the manual, but there should be some pictures there. I have adjusted mine a couple of times when doing very different jobs, and wanted more, or less movement of the implement with each flick of the lever for each of those jobs. I have also used the lower limit stop one poster mentioned when using my rotary cutter, but the tight areas I mow don't give me much of an idea how well it works.

I think Kubota, or the dealer could adjust the stops so that many folks would be happy with that one setting, but I think it is also important that the owner be shown how that works, and how to adjust it. One really can't mess anything up by playing with it. Too close to the center, and the implement won't move when the lever is flicked, too close to the top, or bottom of the slot, and the implement wil move too fast, and too much. I have toyed with the idea of adjusting the top, and bottom much differently for those times you just want a lot of movement in one direction........say digging potatoes.

I do think that owners should plan on adjusting those stops when the tractor is new, and any time he wants the lift to work differently than it is.
    B2620,Loaded R-4's , Wallenstein BX42 chipper, Bush Hog SQ148 RC, 4' x 8' chain harrow, Blizzard 54" 3PT snowblower, Tirechains. com v-bar duo grip chains (hate them), Simplicity Legacy with 48"mmm, turbo collector, Country Line carry all, Countryline Middlebuster, Woods 48" BB, Kubota QA for loader, Kubota forks, Kuhn EL23 rototiller, and more to come...

Tractor
    Kubota BX2360

Quote Originally Posted by Danner
    Very interesting.

BTW, I'll be dammed if I came make my BX2660 do any quarter-inching at all. I wish it would, that would help with my driveway work.

(BTW, OP, please put a few paragraph breaks in your post so it's easy to follow).
    Not to hijack the thread but my BX2360 doesn't appear to do quarter inching either.
    2010 BX2360
    54" MMM, 5' TW rear blade
    5' TW rake
    4' Frontier Box Blade

Male Red Fox Labrador Retriever
    1963 McIntosh Tube Amp w/1959 Citation I Preamp
    Bozak B302A Speakers

Elite Member
    R.I.P.
    Tractor
    (B2620, had BX22) Simplicity Legacy w/48" mmm

I thought the BX series had the same stops mine does. Anyway, try just flicking the lever, and letting it return to center under the spring pressure. All the BX tractors I've tried are spring loaded both ways.
    B2620,Loaded R-4's , Wallenstein BX42 chipper, Bush Hog SQ148 RC, 4' x 8' chain harrow, Blizzard 54" 3PT snowblower, Tirechains. com v-bar duo grip chains (hate them), Simplicity Legacy with 48"mmm, turbo collector, Country Line carry all, Countryline Middlebuster, Woods 48" BB, Kubota QA for loader, Kubota forks, Kuhn EL23 rototiller, and more to come...

Tractor
    Kubota B2620 364 FEL, BH65, 60" MMM

Chuck,

Glad to see you on here. Hope you are feeling well, not sure if you are still getting treatments or not. We had some discussions about the 1/4 inching setups while you were gone. Glad to see you figured it out. I also adjust my 3pt lower speed knob to change how the 1/4 inching lowering works. This seems to work well with changing implements and not adjusting the lower stop on the lever.

Good Job !
    Jeff

'08 B2620 364 FEL, BH65, and 60" MMM
    '86 B7200 HST, 4WD, 60" MMM w/834hrs sold 4-11-09
    IH 3616 industrial backhoe (hydrostat) currently for sale
    IH cub cadet 1450, IH cub cadet 123 (both hydros).

Tractor
    Kubota BX2360

First, we are all wishing Chuck the very best health!!!

Second, I asked Chuck if he'd review this on a thread, again, because the 1/4" gets a ton of negative press here on TBN. I'm also convinced that an OEM like kubota would not have developed and installed a system that is totally garbage as some like to call it. I'd like to believe it is a system that intended for small subcut and cuts to WORK. No, it isn't draft control, but how does it work best? I, for one, need these kinds of threads.

That said, the history of this system shows clearly that everyone from Kubota in their training and manuals right down through their dealership networks are quite ill-informed about the system. Thus, the consumer is adrift and left with a anti-Kubota gripe.

I thank Chuck for once again reviewing this much needed information. Hopefully, more and more owners will come to better understand the system and how to use it effectively, such as it is.
    BP

"Some chickens, some gardens and a Kubota."

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota, John Deere, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

Chuck as others, hope your health improves, nothing is much fun when you're sick.

The "stops" on the BX are different than on the B.

I am glad some have come to the happy place with their quarter inching 3PH, but I will never like it; position control is the only way to go for me. Maybe it's my farming background.

It appears that for some though, it is just the ticket which is always a good thing.
    Thread on helpful tractor abbreviations: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/o...-acronyms.html

Tractor
    B3200, L5740,

I am one of those that could never understand the vehemence towards the QIV. I have both styles and find both styles work better in some cases than the other. I will say that I find the QIV more convenient more times than position control. But it is all personal preference. It should be adjusted properly though before a true opinion can be made.
    L5740 LA854 loader
    L3130 LA723 loader sold
    B3200 LA504 loader
    B1550 sold
    B2620 sold
    B4200 sold
    F2680E
    GF1800
    Kubota RTV900
    JD 850D Gator sold
    JD F935 x 2 sold
    Case 590SM-2
    JD 310D TLB
    Ford 555D sold
    Gehl 602 excavator

Tractor
    Kubota BX25

Quote Originally Posted by snpower View Post
    Not to hijack the thread but my BX2360 doesn't appear to do quarter inching either.
    I'm sure it does. Did you look under the right rear wheel fender to see if you have adjustable stops? You have to pull the 3PH lever in toward the seat while you raise/lower it to engage the stops. Check it out.
    Chris

2 acres and a mule, er, Kubota BX25, and too many other toys,er, tools to list.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast