Quarter Inching..

/ Quarter Inching.. #21  
First, we are all wishing Chuck the very best health!!!

Second, I asked Chuck if he'd review this on a thread, again, because the 1/4" gets a ton of negative press here on TBN. I'm also convinced that an OEM like Kubota would not have developed and installed a system that is totally garbage as some like to call it. I'd like to believe it is a system that intended for small subcut and cuts to WORK. No, it isn't draft control, but how does it work best? I, for one, need these kinds of threads.

That said, the history of this system shows clearly that everyone from Kubota in their training and manuals right down through their dealership networks are quite ill-informed about the system. Thus, the consumer is adrift and left with a anti-Kubota gripe.

I thank Chuck for once again reviewing this much needed information. Hopefully, more and more owners will come to better understand the system and how to use it effectively, such as it is.

I have to agree. I am really surprised that the manual and dealers do not cover this better. Even the stops aren't the best. When I loosen them up to adjust them they don't seem to have a positive tab to line up with the lever slot and therefore may not stick out enough to engage the 3pt lever and almost makes them non exsistant.

Definetly required reading for any new owner of a B2x20. :thumbsup:

/ Quarter Inching.. #22  
CHDinCT said:
I'm sure it does. Did you look under the right rear wheel fender to see if you have adjustable stops? You have to pull the 3PH lever in toward the seat while you raise/lower it to engage the stops. Check it out.

Ok I believe I see the stops but even if I pull the lever IN towards the seat while also moving it in either direction I don't get a change in speed.

Now I learned thanks to this thread that if I push/pull the lever and release it will move the 3PH up or down in increments. Is there something else I am missing?

/ Quarter Inching.. #23  
Ok I believe I see the stops but even if I pull the lever IN towards the seat while also moving it in either direction I don't get a change in speed.

Now I learned thanks to this thread that if I push/pull the lever and release it will move the 3PH up or down in increments. Is there something else I am missing?

On my BX2660, "bumping" it against the stops gets the 1/4" increments. I don't believe the BX is as adjustable as the B Series. I control how much it goes up or down by how far I move the lever and once it gets to the desired point, I return it to the center position.

Actually now when I need precision, I just go get another tractor, but I have done it with the BX2660. The 1/4" system is much better than that on my old BX2200 or our John Deere 2305.

/ Quarter Inching.. #24  
I wonder if I need to adjust those stops so that the lever comes in solid contact with them?

/ Quarter Inching.. #25  
On my BX2660, "bumping" it against the stops gets the 1/4" increments. I don't believe the BX is as adjustable as the B Series. I control how much it goes up or down by how far I move the lever and once it gets to the desired point, I return it to the center position.

Actually now when I need precision, I just go get another tractor, but I have done it with the BX2660. The 1/4" system is much better than that on my old BX2200 or our John Deere 2305.
Does it go down the same regardless of implement weight? Perhaps the adjustment just limits the time the valve is operated per flick?
larry

/ Quarter Inching..
There are some variables, and some good issues to consider that have been mentioned here. What I found on my B2620 was that the further I moved those stepped stops towards the top / rear of the fender, the longer, and faster the implement moved until it got to the point it was when I received it, and there was no difference when using the inside, or outside slot. As I moved that stop closer to the center of the slot, the speed the implement raised, and lowered, and the amount it moved got both slower, and smaller. I used it for quite a while when the implement would only move a quarter inch or so with each movement of the handle, or raise / lower very slowly with the lever in that inside slot. Movement in the outside slot didn't seem to change with these adjustments. It would be best if each purchaser would be given this training / demonstration when he buys the tractor.

/ Quarter Inching.. #27  
:thumbsup:Thanks, Chuck. I never did understand the QIV thing. So I just reviewed the owner manual and per this thread looked under the right fender where those "stops" are installed. They don't look like they would "stop" anything as manufactured. But now I'm going to experiment. When grading a gravel drive, keeping the blade where I want it takes a constant eye over one's shoulder as to where the rear blade is cutting in while I work the hydraulic control. Up to now, it's just been a hit and miss operation. Thanks again for initiating this discussion.

/ Quarter Inching.. #28  
Does it go down the same regardless of implement weight? Perhaps the adjustment just limits the time the valve is operated per flick?
larry

On mine weight of the implement does matter, heavier, further, but I lower mine incrementally without using quarter inching which works better for me.

I really only now use quarter inching when hooking up to implements which is nice.

As mentioned in previous threads, since my wife retired and I bought another tractor, I rarely use "her" BX.

/ Quarter Inching.. #29  
I wonder if I need to adjust those stops so that the lever comes in solid contact with them?

On the BX, the stops stick out so little it can be hard to make sure the lever contacts them. I think I bent them a little on my first BX to get the lever to engage them better. Also, like Chuck outlined, if the stops are too close to neutral, the hitch won't move. If that's your case, adjust them out more until you get the desired result. I still need to adjust them on my BX25, but the backhoe is on most of the time.

/ Quarter Inching..
One of these days maybe I'll run a "real" tractor and get a good feel for how much more I could do with one. I've had my share of muscle cars, and drove another one yesterday (Bullit 350 Mustang........numbered edition). That brought back many memories, but these days doing things on my land when I have precice control of more power seems more fitting, and rewarding. I know a Grand L wouldn't fit in many places on my trails, an L just might, and a larger B would. I have come to a section now that is going to be difficult to navigate with my B, and it will feel small, and light in that giant's marble playground.

Last edited: