Quarter Inching..

/ Quarter Inching.. #31  
One of these days maybe I'll run a "real" tractor and get a good feel for how much more I could do with one. I've had my share of muscle cars, and drove another one yesterday (Bandit 350 Mustang........numbered edition). That brought back many memories, but these days doing things on my land when I have precice control of more power seems more fitting, and rewarding. I know a Grand L wouldn't fit in many places on my trails, an L just might, and a larger B would. I have come to a section now that is going to be difficult to navigate with my B, and it will feel small, and light in that giant's marble playground.

I know what you mean Chuck, I have owned a couple of muscle cars SS396 and Olds 442 with 455 engine, but my brother in law brought his new Corvette over the other day and about a month ago my son in law bought a special edition Camaro and neither did much for me; prefer my tractor.:thumbsup:

As to tractors remember the old saying, "Bigger isn't always better, sometimes it is just bigger."

Last edited:
   / Quarter Inching.. #32  
On the BX, the stops stick out so little it can be hard to make sure the lever contacts them. I think I bent them a little on my first BX to get the lever to engage them better. Also, like Chuck outlined, if the stops are too close to neutral, the hitch won't move. If that's your case, adjust them out more until you get the desired result. I still need to adjust them on my BX25, but the backhoe is on most of the time.

I'll give this a whirl! Thanks.

/ Quarter Inching.. #33  
I've played with the setup myself, and had some success.
My main beef is that I can't get the lever to flick in the downward direction. If I try to flick it to the stop, the 3PH just stars dropping at a slower speed. It doesn't return to the middle like it does when I flick it to raise an increment.
I'd like to be able to flick it down, like I can in the upwards direction, so can control my box blade a touch better when I find that it is just a tad high while grading.
Once I got it adjusted and the upward motion started working it was like night and day. Still not perfect, because of the downward issue, but very usable. I think I would prefer this to a position control for a lot of things of it were adjusted properly at delivery. Why don't dealers ever set this up. I would think that this little bit of adjustment would earn them some very faithful customers. These are the kinds of intangibles that don't cost much in labor, but could pay off big in satisfaction. I remember a few years back when things were starting to go sour with the economy, my employer asked what types of things that didn't have monetary value they could supply instead of the money for raises they didn't have. Same idea here. There is some cost related to the labor to do adjustments, but they already have to setup and check out the equipment. Take the extra time and make it shine.

/ Quarter Inching.. #34  
I wonder if I need to adjust those stops so that the lever comes in solid contact with them?

What I did with my Bx2350 and I would suggest others do the same was simply to take the QIV stops off and bend them towards the wheel perhaps twenty or so degrees so that they stick out a little further, it's no big deal as they are made of the typical gold kubota tin and are really easy to bend. Do this and you QIV problems are pretty much over and it takes less than ten minutes.

Why Kubota makes them straight is beyond me but then again Kubota does a lot of stuff like this. I guess it's let the owner do the R&D, saves them big bucks and they don't have to think.

/ Quarter Inching.. #35  
David s Von Gieserbrechta said:
What I did with my Bx2350 and I would suggest others do the same was simply to take the QIV stops off and bend them towards the wheel perhaps twenty or so degrees so that they stick out a little further, it's no big deal as they are made of the typical gold kubota tin and are really easy to bend. Do this and you QIV problems are pretty much over and it takes less than ten minutes.

Why Kubota makes them straight is beyond me but then again Kubota does a lot of stuff like this. I guess it's let the owner do the R&D, saves them big bucks and they don't have to think.

I'll do this tomorrow; thanks!

/ Quarter Inching..
I've played with the setup myself, and had some success.
My main beef is that I can't get the lever to flick in the downward direction. If I try to flick it to the stop, the 3PH just stars dropping at a slower speed. It doesn't return to the middle like it does when I flick it to raise an increment.
I'd like to be able to flick it down, like I can in the upwards direction, so can control my box blade a touch better when I find that it is just a tad high while grading.
Once I got it adjusted and the upward motion started working it was like night and day. Still not perfect, because of the downward issue, but very usable. I think I would prefer this to a position control for a lot of things of it were adjusted properly at delivery. Why don't dealers ever set this up. I would think that this little bit of adjustment would earn them some very faithful customers. These are the kinds of intangibles that don't cost much in labor, but could pay off big in satisfaction. I remember a few years back when things were starting to go sour with the economy, my employer asked what types of things that didn't have monetary value they could supply instead of the money for raises they didn't have. Same idea here. There is some cost related to the labor to do adjustments, but they already have to setup and check out the equipment. Take the extra time and make it shine.

Did you try to adjust the bottom stop so it is closer to the middle of the length of the slot. Also, there are some springs on the adjustment rod that controls the lower limit stop, and those may help return the lever to the middle when adjusted right too.

/ Quarter Inching.. #37  
ChuckinNH said:
Did you try to adjust the bottom stop so it is closer to the middle of the length of the slot. Also, there are some springs on the adjustment rod that controls the lower limit stop, and those may help return the lever to the middle when adjusted right too.

There are? I have the spring for up, but not for down... didn't think there would have been one. It would interefere with the float position (all the way forward).

/ Quarter Inching..
There are? I have the spring for up, but not for down... didn't think there would have been one. It would interefere with the float position (all the way forward).

You are right on those springs....... my bad. I was thinking of something else when I wrote that. I'll check mine later to see how it does return, though I do know that it will stay all the way forward in the outer slot for the float as you suggest.

/ Quarter Inching.. #39  
I bent the stops out and now the lever can make contact. When it does, the 3PH moves down ever so slowly and precisely. Is this what I am looking for?

/ Quarter Inching.. #40  
I bent the stops out and now the lever can make contact. When it does, the 3PH moves down ever so slowly and precisely. Is this what I am looking for?

Almost. The way it was demonstrated to me is to rapidly pull or push the lever to the stop and back to neutral. Each quick pull and release will move the hitch about a quarter inch. Try doing that in rapid fire fashion and see if your hitch moves in small increments. That's how the quarter inching feature is suppose to work, though I guess it's good too for slow movement if you hold it at the stops.