Quarter Inching..

/ Quarter Inching.. #41  
CHDinCT said:
Almost. The way it was demonstrated to me is to rapidly pull or push the lever to the stop and back to neutral. Each quick pull and release will move the hitch about a quarter inch. Try doing that in rapid fire fashion and see if your hitch moves in small increments. That's how the quarter inching feature is suppose to work, though I guess it's good too for slow movement if you hold it at the stops.

Ok I don't get it - my unit has always done that. I don't see how the aforementioned stops do anything in that case. Before I bent them the lever really didn't even make contact.

/ Quarter Inching.. #43  
Ok I don't get it - my unit has always done that. I don't see how the aforementioned stops do anything in that case. Before I bent them the lever really didn't even make contact.
Agree. Its just an aid to manually limiting the time the valve is open. A selling point apparently, but very little benefit.
larry

/ Quarter Inching.. #44  
ChuckinNH said:
You are right on those springs....... my bad. I was thinking of something else when I wrote that. I'll check mine later to see how it does return, though I do know that it will stay all the way forward in the outer slot for the float as you suggest.

Dealer told me that quarter inching was in the up direction only. Maybe it is different between the b and bx.

/ Quarter Inching.. #45  
The only real benefit position control has is it will maintain position of hitch as it tends to sag, but there still is a certain amount of sag before it will react. A properly set 1/4" valve is very easy and accurate to operate. It is hard to fathom the debate about this.:confused2:
The whole L series jerky hitch problem would not be a problem if it was a 1/4" valve.:D

/ Quarter Inching.. #46  
The only real benefit position control has is it will maintain position of hitch as it tends to sag, but there still is a certain amount of sag before it will react. A properly set 1/4" valve is very easy and accurate to operate. It is hard to fathom the debate about this.:confused2:
The whole L series jerky hitch problem would not be a problem if it was a 1/4" valve.:D

I guess maybe it gets down to what you are use to using and what you use it for. With a background in farming and the need to raise and lower equipment at the end of every turn row for ten-twelve hours a day and have it remain at the same height, I just accepted that as "the norm".

I lived with a BX2200 for several years without quarter inching or position control and am living with a BX2660 with quarter inching now. I just like the convenience of precise repeatability and and not having to bump my cutter or blade up as I am going about my work. I use a box blade for counter balance while using my FEL and it is an aggravation to have to bump it up ever once in a while to keep it from digging in unexpectedly.

Although I can and have used all types, I simply dislike anything but position control and will never bu another tractor with it if I can at all avoid it.

Only one of our position control tractors, an older model MF sags while none of the others do. The 3PH on the MF never has worked right.

/ Quarter Inching..
On my B model Kubota there is a stop that can be set to limit how far the implement drops, and I have used it with some success when using the rotary cutter, etc. It is a trial, and error thing, and does require a wrench, but it's functional, and I get very little drift down. I've learned that the implement, (on my tractor) will drop a little lower than you initially guess so I drop the implement to a position a bit higher than what I want, slide the stop up, and tighten it, and it seems to work. It sure isn't as nice as position control, but it works at least. Now if I can get used to the tractor going where the bucket takes it, even in float mode sometimes without steering brakes that are useable most of the time, I'll be all set. ( the brakes work great with the cruise control set) My B is pretty light on the front like the old tricycle Allis Chalmers C we had on the farm, and even though that was a long time ago, I still am used to using the brakes on snow, or doing some loader work like back dragging, etc. I used a loader very little (we didn't even have one on the farm, and my dad didn't see the need with two strong boys, and a couple of dung forks) so I'm still learning the best way to do some things. For other newbies to tractor hydralulics, try using the angle on the back of the bucket for back dragging instead of using the dump angle, and lip of the bucket. The hydraulic cylinders will love you for it, and it works surprisingly well in many cases. My Kubota QA does get in the way sometimes though. Now that I've gotten used to it, I sure wouldn't want a round back bucket.

/ Quarter Inching.. #48  
On my B model Kubota there is a stop that can be set to limit how far the implement drops, and I have used it with some success when using the rotary cutter, etc. It is a trial, and error thing, and does require a wrench, but it's functional, and I get very little drift down. I've learned that the implement, (on my tractor) will drop a little lower than you initially guess so I drop the implement to a position a bit higher than what I want, slide the stop up, and tighten it, and it seems to work. It sure isn't as nice as position control, but it works at least. Now if I can get used to the tractor going where the bucket takes it, even in float mode sometimes without steering brakes that are useable most of the time, I'll be all set. ( the brakes work great with the cruise control set) My B is pretty light on the front like the old tricycle Allis Chalmers C we had on the farm, and even though that was a long time ago, I still am used to using the brakes on snow, or doing some loader work like back dragging, etc. I used a loader very little (we didn't even have one on the farm, and my dad didn't see the need with two strong boys, and a couple of dung forks) so I'm still learning the best way to do some things. For other newbies to tractor hydraulics, try using the angle on the back of the bucket for back dragging instead of using the dump angle, and lip of the bucket. The hydraulic cylinders will love you for it, and it works surprisingly well in many cases. My Kubota QA does get in the way sometimes though. Now that I've gotten used to it, I sure wouldn't want a round back bucket.

Chuck, I have been using FEL equipped tractors since about 1986 and am still learning and doubt I will ever reach the level of expertise I would like.

/ Quarter Inching.. #49  
Dealer told me that quarter inching was in the up direction only. Maybe it is different between the b and bx.

This is how my B2320 works. Maybe I just need to adjust the down stop so it will work as it does in the up direction.

/ Quarter Inching..
Moving the down stop does change the way the hitch works in that direction, but the operating lever doesn't come back to the center by itself on mine. I notice on the BX tractors it does in both directions.