Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567
    Tractor
    Kubota B2620

Default Re: Quarter Inching..

OK folks... I have to weigh in on this. I've only posted a few times but have been following for some time in anticipation of learning much more (as I am, and thank you to you all for that).

I've been comparing a JD2520 and B2620 for about a month now. One of the things I've wrestled most with is this 3 PT valve issue. I finally got a chance to play with a B2620 this week. I toyed with a JD 2520 a few weeks ago... nice machine.

Honestly... I had no issues with the 2620 I ran the other day. I tried messing with the 3 PT valve for a while... raising... lowering... raising again... etc, etc. I worked pretty darn smooth the whole time. In fact, it really didn't feel or operate much different than the JD. (I kinda wish I had both side by side).

Now granted, I am no expert. This will be my first CUT.

On a side note... BP, you have got to be one of the most logical guys I've ever encountered on a forum!

Tractor
    Kubota B2620

Sorry to reply to an old thread, but it's been awhile since I visited. I was very sorry to see Chuck is no longer in NH. I know I really liked his posts and insights.

I have a B2620 and though I already knew how to fully adjust the 1/4 inching valve. I really don't like it. First, there are three adjustments. Chuck described the two stops that need to be adjusted. The third is the circular knob under the seat. This knob controls the flow restrictor on the return line of the 3PH, which means it controls the speed at which the 3PH will lower. You can make the 3PH go down as slow as you would like by using this method.

When I have my grading scraper on, I can set it to lower slowly in the 1/4" position, which is great. But, then it doesn't go down quickly at all when I have something much lighter on the 3PH and I have to stand on it to get it to lower (or just adjust the valve ).

What I really don't like about it is that it is really hard (for me at least) to get the implement to the same level when I have to raise it to clear something. This weekend I was using my grading scrapper and it was quite a challenge for me to get the surface nice and flat, because the surface was rather soft and the scraper would dig in too much. My driveway is not level so dealing with slope changes is pretty constant. It can be done with the 1/4" valve if I take the time to adjust it well, but I think it would be easier with a good position control (apparently not the one in the L).

This experience got me thinking that I really need to get a top n tilt and researching that I learned the remote story for the B2620 is not very pretty, which got me thinking that maybe I should get the B2630. I know I looked at it when I bought the B2620 three years ago. I didn't buy it because it was more money and I didn't understand the difference between position control and 1/4" then and I didn't like the location of the loader control. I also didn't know how much percision good gravel work requires. Looking at the B2630 now, I also like the other deluxe features for the 3PH. I just don't know if the extra 4" in length and width will be more annoying and if I really want to spend the $ to trade up. Oh the joys of the tractor addiction.
    Kubuta B2620 w Schrute Farms Beet Juice, LA 364 Loader, John Deere X300, looking for more attachments

Veteran Member
    Fanning Springs, Gilchirst County, North-Central Florida
    Tractor
    Kubota Tractor Loader L3560 HST 37-hp / 5,400 pounds

Frogmore:

You may wish to consider a Hydraulink.

I purchased one recently but have not installed it yet because I have been using my PTO chipper, where the top link does not require adjustment during use.

When I next hang my Bush Hog Rollover Box Blade on the 3-Pt the Hydraulink will be installed, which its manufacturer claims will reduce hobby-horsing while using scraping implements.

I will report on my experience with the Hydraulink before long.

Here is a link. Videos on site.

HydrauLink - a self-contained air over hydraulic top link
    Last edited by jeff9366; 10-16-2012 at 12:27 PM.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    L3800 HST & ZD323-60

Hey Jeff,

Very slick!! Can't wait to hear what you think after you get a chance to use it. Thanks for sharing.

Tractor
    Kubota B2620

Quote Originally Posted by Frogmore View Post
    What I really don't like about it is that it is really hard (for me at least) to get the implement to the same level when I have to raise it to clear something. This weekend I was using my grading scrapper and it was quite a challenge for me to get the surface nice and flat, because the surface was rather soft and the scraper would dig in too much. My driveway is not level so dealing with slope changes is pretty constant. It can be done with the 1/4" valve if I take the time to adjust it well, but I think it would be easier with a good position control (apparently not the one in the L)....
    I have had similar issues with my box blade. Thing is, I arrived at a different conclusion. I've meen thinking of making some kind of mechanical linkage between the top of the 3pt, where it "interfaces" with the control rod, and a guage. That way I could visually see the "height" of the arms. It would be a simple linkage with a fulcrum point in the middle of a rod that would indicate against an arched face, marked with 1/4, 1/2, and 1 inch markings. That way I could drop my implement, and then twiddle the handle to raise it how ever much it needs to come up above grade. Does that make sense?

Tractor
    Kubota B2620

I looked at the very long thread on HydrauLink and it looks interesting, but I am not sure it would do what I need. I have no doubt that by raising the implement it can make it easy to get the top link longer. Getting it shorter is likely to be more of a challenge. While it is much easier to adjust than a standard top link, it does not look as useful as a real hydraulic top link. It is of course much cheap when you consider the cost of adding a remote.

I too have been thinking about a guage for my 3PH, but I was thinking a rotary encoder position encoder and microcontroller with an LCD display. I might get around to doing that someday and I believe that would be pretty cool. I have been thinking about how to do that for the top and tilt and had a thought about repurposing a cheap digital caliper, but that would be a more challenging project. Skspurling's idea might be simpler.
    Kubuta B2620 w Schrute Farms Beet Juice, LA 364 Loader, John Deere X300, looking for more attachments

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567