50 hrs service: trans oil capacity L3700su

/ 50 hrs service: trans oil capacity L3700su #1  

unfinished

Bronze Member
Tractor
2010 Kubota L3700su
Hi all,
I am doing the 50 hr service on my tractor, a Kubota L3700su. I'm changing all filters and oil. Engine, HST, and Hydraulic.

I took off both the HST and Hydraulic filters, opened the two drain plugs on the bottom of trans (but forgot about the two plugs on the axle reduction housing) and drained approx 6 gallons.

So I go to fill up, manual calls for 6.2 Gallons for the transmission oil. I put 6 gals and 1 quart of SUDT2 in and it doesn't show up on the oil level indicator (site glass on left floorboard area). I added up to 7 gals and it still does not show. Great, now what. I'm going to drain that extra 3 qts as that is what the book calls for. To be honest, I did not know about the oil level indicator until I did this service so I don't know if it showed the proper oil level before.

Any ideas? Let me know soon, as I will be taking the tractor out of town to brush hog this weekend.

Btw the metal shavings on the magnetic ring inside the hydraulic filter shocked me. I am glad I am changing everything.

/ 50 hrs service: trans oil capacity L3700su #2  
The oil is very hard to see in that sight glass when clean.

/ 50 hrs service: trans oil capacity L3700su
Thanks, I went and drained a little over 3 qts and can just now see a little air at the top of the sight glass. The oil was so clear, it looked like I never reached it, but in reality I was already over when I added 6 gallons. I guess by forgetting the reduction housings, the little bit of oil left caused me to overfill.

/ 50 hrs service: trans oil capacity L3700su #4  
I did the same thing when I serviced my 3400. :laughing::laughing:

/ 50 hrs service: trans oil capacity L3700su
Can I ask how much metal others found on the magnetic ring inside the hydraulic oil filter? I seemed to have quite a bit of shavings and a few curly strings of metal as well. It concerns me a bit. I was expecting much smaller particles and metal sludge. I did take some pictures of the metal on the filter for evidence but not sure if I should post them.

/ 50 hrs service: trans oil capacity L3700su #6  
Same tractor, 50 hours service, same problem. We drained a couple of quarts but still don't see anything in the gauge. Drained two more quarts, still don't see anything. Any ideas?

/ 50 hrs service: trans oil capacity L3700su #7  
Same tractor, 50 hours service, same problem. We drained a couple of quarts but still don't see anything in the gauge. Drained two more quarts, still don't see anything. Any ideas?

Raise the loader, raise the 3pt, that will "use up" oil and make the level drop. if you can see the level, then, you will know you still have too much fluid in the tractor.. you should see a little air at the top of the sight glass with the loader down and level and the 3pt down. Also of course the tractor needs to be on level ground.

James K0UA

/ 50 hrs service: trans oil capacity L3700su #8  
This worked - actually we raised the attachments AND parked it on a hill as another user suggested. That exposed a bit of air at the top of the gauge and we see now that there is too much oil and we need to remove some. The help we got on this site was great - saved us having to re-drain the transmission oil. So thanks alot.