MX5100 and haying

/ MX5100 and haying #1  

ford farm boy

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mx5100,9N,ford 2000
After all the rain here in Indiana finely got my hay baled 13 acres . This was the first time for me it was clover and grass mix thick . Long dry time ground was still damp under hay but got it done and tools back to barn. The MX5100 worked great keeping the rpm down to about 2200 (2700rpm 540 )the fuel usage was better and mower-baler worked good at lower rpm.

Attachments

• Picture 022.jpg
    Picture 022.jpg
    462.8 KB · Views: 519
  • Picture 021.jpg
    Picture 021.jpg
    362.4 KB · Views: 537
  • Picture 032.jpg
    Picture 032.jpg
    404.3 KB · Views: 1,136
  • Picture 034.jpg
    Picture 034.jpg
    408.2 KB · Views: 525
   / MX5100 and haying #2  
the MX5100 is a stout tractor when it comes to work.

/ MX5100 and haying #3  
Looks good. I'd say you have plenty of tractor for that haying operation. I use a NH 451 mower (7') on my B3200 and a NH 268 baler on my Ford NAA for my haying, which varies from about 15 to 25ac. If you don't already have one a hay tedder will greatly speed your drying time. Often if the crop isn't excessively heavy, and the conditions are right (warm, low humidity, good breeze) I can cut one morning, ted it that afternoon, and bale the next afternoon.

/ MX5100 and haying
I don't have a tedder so I used a friends. It rains here about every other day the ground stays wet so you just have to keep flipping it or it draws damps from bottom side and you know damp hay and square balers don't get along. But yes 5100 is just the right power for hay op.

/ MX5100 and haying
Yes the wheel weights did come with tractor but to do it again I would fill the tires weights are not enough .

/ MX5100 and haying
I just have weights and they don't help much for what they cost .
Could have got rim guard for same price or about . I use a barrel three point baldest full of concrete when I do heavy loader work .

/ MX5100 and haying #9  
I just have weights and they don't help much for what they cost .
Could have got rim guard for same price or about . I use a barrel three point baldest full of concrete when I do heavy loader work .

The good part of cast weight is that you never loose them like you can liquid!

I'd let about three lbs of air out of those rear tires as they look as that they are too hard. You should have a full tread on the ground and it looks like you are a little to high.
It would give you a better ride as well as more traction.