BX25 post hole digger downforce

/ BX25 post hole digger downforce #1  

Tachdriver

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota bx25
I have not used this yet, but when I do I'd like to know that I can add some weight to the auger to assist in some downforce. Got the idea here on the forum, just took a different approach. This is a 1" curling bar that I welded tabs on, drilled 9/16" holes and bolted to the support bar. I can add 100 lbs of weight in 25lb increments if I wish

later

DSC07267.jpg

DSC07266.jpg

:thumbsup:

/ BX25 post hole digger downforce #2  
I see you've modified my idea! Just to let you know, this method does have some limitations. There can be resistance on the sides of the auger and too much ballast can incur a situation where the PHD won't lift back up. With the extension, my auger is 60", long for a BX, and it can drill itself into a frozen position in hardpan. I make sure that I lift the rig and clear all spoils every so often. I also move the tractor slightly forward and backward to change the angle and ream the hole a bit larger in diameter than the auger. When I am drilling in Duripan, I also lift the auger completely out of the hole and fill it with water every minute or two. Otherwise, even with the carbide tip, smoke starts coming out of the hole. I have found that 200 lb. of ballast is about all that my 3ph can lift out of the hole on the end of my full sized phd. A down pressure unit will put more weight than that on the phd, but when the hydro pressure is off, all that weight (of the tractor) goes back onto the tires and the 3ph only has to lift the phd itself. On mine and yours, the 3ph has to lift phd and ballast. Good luck, glad my idea was helpful to someone.

/ BX25 post hole digger downforce #3  
Depending upon what type of soil you have, downforce will not be a huge issue.....power to pull the auger out of the hole will be the bigger issue.

I dug over 130 holes in a clay soil with my B7800, and the auger never had an issue augoring into the soil....I did a few times have an issue getting it back out.

/ BX25 post hole digger downforce #4  
Keep the digging points pointed and they will dig just fine. Let them get dual or broken and they won''t dig!

/ BX25 post hole digger downforce #5  
Depending upon what type of soil you have, downforce will not be a huge issue.....power to pull the auger out of the hole will be the bigger issue.

I dug over 130 holes in a clay soil with my B7800, and the auger never had an issue augoring into the soil....I did a few times have an issue getting it back out.

Keep the digging points pointed and they will dig just fine. Let them get dual or broken and they won''t dig!

For most soils, you both are correct. However for true hardpans (Duripan, Ironpan, Caliche) and other soft sedimentary rock, it does take both carbide tips and downpressure. Those are things that a moderate sized excavator or bh on a compact tractor can dig in, but a PHD will not without carbide and downpressure. My blunt tip auger will not even dig in dry adobe clay; I have to moisten it some first.

Last edited:
   / BX25 post hole digger downforce
I may not ever have to use them, but if I do need them, well they are there.

Later