Oil & Fuel Kubota BX 23 Oil Change

/ Kubota BX 23 Oil Change #1  

thorner

Tractor
Kubota BX23, Kubota L245DT
Got a good deal on a BX 23 with only 100 hours. I wanted to change the oil and thought I would use the Shell Rotella T that I always used in my L245 DT. When I refered to the manual it said to use API Service CD, CE or CF. The Rotella T has API Service CJ-4. Is it ok to use the Rotella T in the BX 23?

/ Kubota BX 23 Oil Change #2  
Your manual is outdated, of course. Time marches on and so does the alphabet of ratings. The BX23 is what? 5 years ago? Something like that. Manual is stuck in time. :)

Rotella in any of it's renditions, White 15w-40, Silver 10w-30 semi syn, or Blue 5w-40 full synthetic would be just fine. Your wallet, your choice.

Oh, and welcome to TBN and have fun with your new tractor. Nice find.

/ Kubota BX 23 Oil Change #3  
The numbering scheme progresses through the alphabet as the oil requirements become more stringent. So the Rotella exceeds the requirements in the manual by the progression of ratings from CF->CG->CH->CI->CJ. I think the -4 means it's diesel oil.

/ Kubota BX 23 Oil Change #4  
I keep it simple and by the oil from Kubota when I pick up the filters. Not proud enough of their oil to cause me to price shop. Only talking 4 quarts if memory serves.

/ Kubota BX 23 Oil Change
Thanks for all the information. Sounds like the Rotella T is ok. That is what the dealer was selling me 25 years ago for my Kubota L245 DT. The dealer is not real close and I have the Rotella T.