Mowing New BX2360 Not Mowing Well

/ New BX2360 Not Mowing Well #1  

DaddyTractor

Tractor
BX2360
I got my new BX2360 and mowed my lawn for the first(second and third) time:D, but I was VERY disappointed with the results:mad:

It is missing long, fine blades of grass, in patches. It is a 60" deck and appears to be cutting level, but I can not figure out why patches are left?

I was cutting with a 1980's JD 318 that never had this problem!

Anyone else had a problem or have advice for me to try?

/ New BX2360 Not Mowing Well #2  
I got my new BX2360 and mowed my lawn for the first(second and third) time:D, but I was VERY disappointed with the results:mad:

It is missing long, fine blades of grass, in patches. It is a 60" deck and appears to be cutting level, but I can not figure out why patches are left?

I was cutting with a 1980's JD 318 that never had this problem!

Anyone else had a problem or have advice for me to try?

======================================================================================================================================================

questions:

1) grass hieght?

2) suspended deck or full contact deck?
mowing speed?

3)Is the mid mount P.T.O. Shaft fully locked in
at the mower gear box and the transmission?

4) Was the V-belt wet?

5) Are all the mower blades tight?

/ New BX2360 Not Mowing Well #3  
Are the blades mounted upside down? The high point of the blade ( the curve or angle ) should be on top and the sharp part of the blade should be the lowest point. I suspect a inexperienced dealer employee put the blades on upside down.

/ New BX2360 Not Mowing Well #4  
leon and Dozernut pretty well have it covered; might want to pop the covers and make sure the belts are routed properly.

I have used two 60" BX decks and the quality of cut was excellent.

/ New BX2360 Not Mowing Well
Hmmmm....

What RPM's do you all mow at?

I am wondering if the missed patches are spots that got backed over or matted down by the tires that the blades never pulled back up??

/ New BX2360 Not Mowing Well #6  
Hmmmm....

I am wondering if the missed patches are spots that got backed over or matted down by the tires that the blades never pulled back up??

When I have my glasses handy I mow at 3000, when I don't, I am pretty close; wish the indicator was easier to read.

Are the strips/patches visible immediately after passing over or does it take some time for them to show up?

/ New BX2360 Not Mowing Well
It takes time for them to show up.

/ New BX2360 Not Mowing Well #8  
Hmmmm....

pull the lever down near wide open

/ New BX2360 Not Mowing Well #9  
It takes time for them to show up.

That sounds like the grass is getting mashed down and either you are not running enough RPM to pull the grass up or your blades don't have enough lift.

Sometimes cutting a bit shorter or before the grass gets too long helps.

I am guessing you have already checked belt/blade tightness as well as the other suggestions to rule those out.

/ New BX2360 Not Mowing Well #10  
Height, RPM, Ground speed all plays in the answer. Just like all have said to do and check, then remember that anything above 2" will require you to really increase RMP, decrease ground speed to allow time to lift the grass up to cut that was laid down by the tires. When I am cutting first thing in spring I cut at 2.5 and I run at nearly full throttle and as fast as I can then at summer I cut at 4" that requires me to resharpen blades, keep my rpm up but really really slow down so that the mower can lift the fine grass back up to cut. I too mowed and still mow with a 54" deck JD 322 (same size as a 318) to get around the real tight areas and have the same problem, and found this works best for me. I really love how fast the BX cuts my 5 acres over the JD and do as much as I can with my BX23.